Maryland’s $157 million counterclaim: ACC recruited B1G schools | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Maryland’s $157 million counterclaim: ACC recruited B1G schools

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nicky...

Your posts make my hands tremble over the keys wanting to edit.

I do know that I may be slightly neurotic since I had 12 years of Dominican/Jesuit schooling through high school.

And, yes, I still have sweaty dreams of diagramming sentences on a blackboard, overseen by an impatient Sister Charles Bronson.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Nicky...

It's New Jersey - it's a minor miracle that their street signs are in English.

Reaction Score

Having lived in CT, NY, MA, NH, and now Jersey, I can attest that at least NJ has street signs, which is better than Boston, whose focus seems to be on getting and many non-Bostonians as lost and screwed-up as possible.

Reaction Score
They will change their mind very quickly if the 4 team playoff turns out to be a cash pinata.

^ This. In spades.

Money talks, BS walks. A successful 4-team playoff will only make fans want more, especially if the first round is played on campus. Maybe even the first two rounds.

I think it will go to eight teams pretty quickly...inside 5 years is my guess...and that will be it. Five auto bids, two at-large teams, and, a spot for one of the remaining conferences.

Reaction Score
Funny but as an eastcoaster who lived in S.Cal for a few yrs I think the Pac12 is WAY overrated!?! Maybe due to the fact their's so much to do entertainmentwise and few follow or care? I remember the excitement brought to us eastcoasters in LA when we ate breakfast in the same Hollywood restaurant with the 69/70 OSU Rose Bowl team one Dec morning but the "locals" didnt blink an eye 44 yrs ago when I was 18 and a young serviceman in town?

None of those are questions?

Reaction Score
As an addendum to above. The one thing. We a a

Ole Miss has won six straight bowl games, so I'm not sure bowl streaks matter that much. FSU has juice right now, let's see what they do with it. But, their future, to some degree, will be predicated on the success of a conference that hasn't been very successful at football. Better up the OOC schedule.

The ACC and Big Ten should benefit from the format of a small selection committee that could be swayed by political pressure. The BCS, as bad as it was (and it was bad), at least included input from a variety of ranking methodologies. Now, we've regressed to the smokey back room, or better yet, championship figure skating, to anoint the CF final four.

You are misinformed....

Ole Miss has won TWO consecutive bowl games....FSU has won six consecutive bowl games.

Reaction Score
As an addendum to above. The one thing. We a a

Ole Miss has won six straight bowl games, so I'm not sure bowl streaks matter that much. FSU has juice right now, let's see what they do with it. But, their future, to some degree, will be predicated on the success of a conference that hasn't been very successful at football. Better up the OOC schedule.

The ACC already schedules just as good, or, better, OOC games than any other league. Its winning those games consistently thats been the problem.

As for FSU, they have as much cache as any team in the FBS. That they underachieved (by their standards) in the 2000s did nothing to diminish that. What everybody saw from them this past season is just a hint of what you can expect from them going forward. Jimbo Fisher has them set up for a run similar to what Bobby Bowden had from '87-'01. For that reason, they will get serious consideration for any playoff scenario if they win the ACC, and, have just one loss during the season. Truth be told, unless there are three undefeated league champs from the other four leagues (not a very likely scenario, IMHO), they will not be left out. Especially if they beat Florida in the regular season.

Also, the success of therest of the ACC will have nothing to do with whether or not FSU would qualify, IMHO.

The ACC and Big Ten should benefit from the format of a small selection committee that could be swayed by political pressure. The BCS, as bad as it was (and it was bad), at least included input from a variety of ranking methodologies. Now, we've regressed to the smokey back room, or better yet, championship figure skating, to anoint the CF final four.

Right now, the ACC has nosed ahead of the B1G in the race for the fourth spot. Now, the league has to do it again in 2014. Aside from FSU, will it?

Reaction Score
You are misinformed....

Ole Miss has won TWO consecutive bowl games....FSU has won six consecutive bowl games.

Uh no. . .

http://www.olemisssports.com/sports/m-footbl/recaps/123013aab.html
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/coll...cle_0c730b52-bcd7-523e-b753-cf572cc0d250.html
http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/...le-miss-over-georgia-tech-in-music-city-bowl/
http://www.dothanfirst.com/story/d/...-tech-in-music/21160/RunCcOIW7U-duckBh4FFCU2w
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=333640059

Etc.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Right now, the ACC has nosed ahead of the B1G in the race for the fourth spot. Now, the league has to do it again in 2014. Aside from FSU, will it?

It can be argued that the ACC had a slightly better year than the B1G this year, but it's the first season in quite a long time that they've been even close to fourth best. The ACC realizes that conference play is a liability and have taken steps to strengthen their OOC schedule.

Reaction Score
None of those are questions?
Yes what the F was I thinking? Thanks for making me aware. Haha yes, I'm questioning my mind in the early stages of a family(alzh) curse unfortunately at only 62. Please excuse me Huskie.

Reaction Score
Nicky...

I do know that I may be slightly neurotic since I had 12 years of Dominican/Jesuit schooling through high school.

And, yes, I still have sweaty dreams of diagramming sentences on a blackboard, overseen by an impatient Sister Charles Bronson.
You think you're hands tremble?I realize that the south is famous for manner's so I hope you'll forgive my deficiencies and say a few hail Mary's for my condition on you're holiday(NLOI day). Back here in the east(not sure about the south) some younger seniors get an affliction(yes Fishy,even in NJ)called early onset Dementia of which me/my family has been cursed. Sorry to have to taint you're "page" with it but consider those who have to live with it!

Reaction Score
I gave you you're customary one and a half likes for having stereotypes similar to some hayseeds and a sense of humor. I guess you're human too but I like you anyway.Ironically I live in NY and Conn.

Reaction Score
Having lived in CT, NY, MA, NH, and now Jersey, I can attest that at least NJ has street signs, which is better than Boston, whose focus seems to be on getting and many non-Bostonians as lost and screwed-up as possible.

Forget the street signs, heck talking to my mom last night who still lives in NJ she was saying that the Boston/NE accent sounds cockney/greek and not even english to most NJ/NYer's.It's really funny because going up into even places where gaelic is still spoken on CapeBreton Island where many of my ancestors live I hear much better english.

Last edited:

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
Is this thread EVER going to be about "Maryland's 157 million counterclaim..., why don't we close it to further posting?

Reaction Score

Either you can't read the word consecutive..or just don't read schedules...

Ole Miss

2013...W
2012...W
2011...did not qualify (2-10)
2010...did not qualify
2009...W
2008...DNQ

FSU has won a bowl game every year for the last six years...

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score

Ole Miss

2013...W
2012...W
2010...did not qualify
2009...W
2008...DNQ

and ole miss has indeed won 6 consecutive bowls they played in.

Reaction Score
But, as I said, FSU is current consecutive year bowl winning streak holder...

....and also holds the all time consecutive year bowl winning streak at 11.

...and holds the all time consecutive year bowl streak without a loss at 14 (one tie in there).

Reaction Score
Nicky...

I am fairly informed re dementia...You most likely don't yet have early onset dementia. Memory loss and punctuation ambivalence are two different things.

You probably didn't mean dementia. My guess is that you meant "demented".

And in this world, demented isn't a bad default state.

Reaction Score

Ole Miss

2013...W
2012...W
2010...did not qualify
2009...W
2008...DNQ

Is it your writing skills or is it your memory that fails you? Perhaps it's both.

Here's what you wrote: "FSU, if champ, will be given the benefit of the doubt...having won six straight bowl games."

The word "consecutive" is nowhere to be found. But every article I linked to uses your exact language. Or maybe I should say 'misused" your exact language. I guess journalism isn't what it used to be. Anyhow, the fact that FSU needed a bowl win to avoid a seven loss season a few years ago is about irrelevant as Ole Miss's 6 straight bowl wins. Neither is going to matter to the playoff selection committee. FSU's past season will have an impact along with its on-field talent and record. What's amusing is that you bypassed the main point of the post to ensure a member of the SEC's B team isn't given too much credit. . .

Reaction Score
I have a feeling that FSU will be a contender next year...It is always difficult to predict a final four, but I think that FSU will be a contender.

They have, at the very least, become part of the conversation with the SEC when one talks about the national championship.

Reaction Score
Let me rephrase, slightly. . .any ACC team with a conference loss will not make a four team playoff. I think the Big Ten is next in line in the "I need to be undefeated in conference play" category. The ACC has been terrible over the past several seasons and I don't see one season turning it around. If they are terrible next year, people will soon forget this past year. If FSU had dropped a conference game this year, they would not have played in the NC. After years of underperforming, FSU was finally able to convert the level of talent they have had on the field. But, this isn't about FSU, it's about the conference around them, and most people will be able to separate the two.

Addendum to above: At least for the foreseeable future, three of the four top spots likely go to the SEC Champion, PAC12 Champion and SEC Runner Up with the Big 12, Big Ten and ACC Champion fighting for the last spot. In that scenario, the ACC Champion cannot have a conference loss.

Quickest way to destroy the present conference alignments is to allow champions only. That leaves SEC also-rans out in the cold. Model to follow should be 8-10 conferences of 9-10 teams each.

Reaction Score
^ This. In spades.

Money talks, BS walks. A successful 4-team playoff will only make fans want more, especially if the first round is played on campus. Maybe even the first two rounds.

I think it will go to eight teams pretty quickly...inside 5 years is my guess...and that will be it. Five auto bids, two at-large teams, and, a spot for one of the remaining conferences.

Another option would be a six-team playoff, like the NFL's conference playoffs -- the bottom four play in with two games, then the winners play the top two.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see some of these games hosted on campus, or in strategically located stadiums, almost like the women's tournament (e.g., putting a Georgia or Georgia Tech in Atlanta, an LSU in the Superdome, a Big Ten team in Detroit or Indianapolis). Basketball tournaments are easy to fill because the stadiums are comparatively smaller, because the teams involved get smaller numbers of tickets (something like 5,000 vs. 15,000), and because each site hosts multiple games.

If the football championship model expects that football fans will travel not only to their conference championship games but also to first-, second- and third-round sites, they'll be sorely mistaken, and a lot of games will look like the fourth quarter of Louisville vs. UConn at The Rent this fall.

Reaction Score
Another option would be a six-team playoff, like the NFL's conference playoffs -- the bottom four play in with two games, then the winners play the top two.

If the FBS were only 40-45 teams, I could agree with you. But, with around 60, I think eight is the best number. Playing the first two rounds on campus, like the FCS playoffs do, would place less of a burden on some teams to sell tickets. That would help ensure sellouts, and, make TV people happy.

Now, one change I would make would be that the home team would have to provide 10% of its capacity to the visiting team's fans. So, Alabama (102,000) would have to make 10,200 seats available for a game in Tuscaloosa, FSU (85,000) approximately 8,500, and, so forth and so on.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see some of these games hosted on campus, or in strategically located stadiums, almost like the women's tournament (e.g., putting a Georgia or Georgia Tech in Atlanta, an LSU in the Superdome, a Big Ten team in Detroit or Indianapolis). Basketball tournaments are easy to fill because the stadiums are comparatively smaller, because the teams involved get smaller numbers of tickets (something like 5,000 vs. 15,000), and because each site hosts multiple games.

I believe that the 1st two rounds being hosted by the higher seeded teams would work better. But, meeting at a neutral ground halfway between the two teams is not a bad idea, either.

If the football championship model expects that football fans will travel not only to their conference championship games but also to first-, second- and third-round sites, they'll be sorely mistaken, and a lot of games will look like the fourth quarter of Louisville vs. UConn at The Rent this fall.

You got that right. Some of the bowl games were pretty poorly attended, too. That the economy is still struggling has hurt attendance at a majority of college venues, for football and hoops.

Reaction Score
I hate the idea of a larger playoff.

Who cares about the FCS regular season games? The FCS season, to me, is not particularly exciting. It is all about the last series of games in the playoff.

FBS seasons are exciting. There is a playoff game almost every weekend. Oklahoma plays Texas, Oregon-Stanford, FSU-Clemson, Ohio State-MSU, Notre Dame-USC, Alabama-LSU, and on...

A game on any given Saturday could impact the whole playoff picture. When a top five team loses a game, the whole woof and warp of the college football fabric vibrates.

We all watch teams from other conferences that we might not normally because of the drama...the impact upon other teams.

A large playoff dilutes the regular season...and, gawd help me, I am a football fan that loves the regular season. Maybe beyond reason if you listened to my wife.

Reaction Score
Is this thread EVER going to be about "Maryland's 157 million counterclaim..., why don't we close it to further posting?

University of Maryland subpoenas Pitt records on the ACC

Pitt must turn over records it has relating to the ACC, according to a subpoena filed Thursday by the University of Maryland.
Maryland appears to be seeking the records to bolster its defense of a lawsuit filed by the ACC in November 2012 to ensure payment of a $50 million exit fee.
Pitt must turn over the records by the end of March.
The Maryland Attorney General's Office filed a $156.8 million claim against the ACC last month, alleging, in part, that the conference, via Wake Forest and Pitt, tried to poach at least two schools from the Big Ten. Attorneys and spokespersons for the schools did not return calls late Friday.

Read more: http://triblive.com/news/adminpage/5556712-74/acc-maryland-filed#ixzz2sjekzkSc
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc