Maryland’s $157 million counterclaim: ACC recruited B1G schools | The Boneyard

Maryland’s $157 million counterclaim: ACC recruited B1G schools

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...llion-counterclaim-acc-recruited-b1g-schools/

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ryland-acc-lawsuit-exit-fees-big-ten/4471441/
Alex Prewitt ‏@alex_prewitt17m
Maryland files a $157 million counterclaim vs. ACC. Alleges Wake Forest/Pittsburgh officials tried to recruit unnamed B1G schools to leave.

Alex Prewitt ‏@alex_prewitt15m
This counterclaim was filed in North Carolina, because the Maryland issues have been stayed until the N.C. court resolves matters there.

Alex Prewitt ‏@alex_prewitt12m
Alleges that b/c of "counsel and direction...received from ESPN," the ACC has tried to lure other schools "to extract more lucrative terms."

Alex Prewitt ‏@alex_prewitt9m
From the Maryland AG office: "We allege the ACC is confiscating NCAA monies that belong to Maryland when it has no right to do so."

Alex Prewitt ‏@alex_prewitt5m
Office of the Attorney General spokesman says "The Big Ten schools involved must remain confidential until trial or discovery." Darn.

Reaction Score
Folks in Bristol must be a tad nervous at the moment. The claim that the recruitment was done under counsel of espn could lead to interesting arguments and if gets that far, testimony. This could get really fun to watch.

Reaction Score
If a lawsuit gets filed against ESPN, that would be the time for UConn to jump aboard.

We all knew ESPN was actively undermining the Big East while the two parties were under contract, so it's nice to see the scumbags in Bristol finally getting exposed.

Reaction Score
ESPN collusion? Who'd have thunk it? Could Gene D. at Thunderchicken U. have been telling the truth & then forced into silence?

Reaction Score
I am pretty certain though if the ACC doesn't let them off easily that they will drop a few more big surprises about ESPN. Definitely one of those messy divorce scenario's we all love to see.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
I think the major takeaway from this is that the ACC is still looking to add (to get to 16 at least). I'm sure they realize that B1G schools aren't moving by now. Since they are still in acquisition mode, I think with the whole petitioning the NCAA for letting conferences decide how to split divisions and pick their champion is about bringing in a 15th football school (16th overall) and going to pods. I think they have a candidate in mind and it's possible that it's us.

Your move Mr. Delany.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
upload_2014-1-14_12-51-21.png

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I'm down for chaos at this point.

I don't think it'll change anything, but hopefully it'll expose ESPN for the P.O.S. it is.

Then again, ESPN gets to paint the picture for the national sports conscience so I doubt the story gets any traction.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm down for chaos at this point.

I don't think it'll change anything, but hopefully it'll expose ESPN for the P.O.S. it is.

Then again, ESPN gets to paint the picture for the national sports conscience so I doubt the story gets any traction.

Well there's a good chance that national news outlets will pick up on this since it includes UMD and all the national papers have staff in the DC area. It wouldn't require an inordinate amount of time/money/energy to follow this story.

Reaction Score
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...leges-acc-tried-to-lure-big-ten-schools-away/

Hit the first hyperlink in this paragraph of the Prewitt story in Washington Post and look where it takes ya in history::rolleyes:

>>The claim cites a 2011 quote from former Boston College Athletic Director Gene DeFilippo, who told the Boston Globe: “You don’t get extra money for basketball. It’s 85% football money. TV — ESPN — is the one who told us what to do. This was football; it had nothing to do with basketball.” DeFilippo apologized two days later for those comments, saying he “spoke inappropriately and erroneously.”<<

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Great find. I always believe there is little doubt ESPiN played a huge role in the destruction of the BE. ACC was the gopher ESPiN used to do its dirty little work. I was hoping old BE would sue ESPiN and ACC to bring all those to the light, but Maryland would do just as well. It would be nice to see how ESPiN used ACC to fight off the B12 (FOX) etc. It is unfortunate that UCONN ended on the short end of this CR. Either way, I hope the world will get to see just how evil ESPiN is.

Reaction Score
Just legal maneuvering, hoping for pressure...it will not go very far. IMHO

Reaction Score

That's a pretty good indicator that Maryland thinks it will lose the suit over the Exit Fee. And calling out ESPN? If I were ESPN, I'd guarantee that no Maryland athletic program would ever be seen on an ABC/ESPN plaform again.

You have to scratch your head regarding Wake Forest/Pittsburgh talking to Big Ten schools? What does this have to do with Maryland again?

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
Just legal maneuvering, hoping for pressure...it will not go very far. IMHO
Right... they will settle and the details will never see the light of day. That's the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom