Maryland’s $157 million counterclaim: ACC recruited B1G schools | Page 19 | The Boneyard

Maryland’s $157 million counterclaim: ACC recruited B1G schools

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's going to be easier for Maryland to claim that it has been damaged than it will be for the ACC, which upgraded in all sports by adding Louisville.

Here's the fundamental problem I have with the ACC's exit fee. Picture 12 people in a group walking into a meeting, at a time when the penalty for leaving the meeting being $17. All of a sudden, the first agenda item is to raise the penalty to $51. What options do you have?

In addition to proving that it has been damaged to the tune of $51 million, the ACC will also be forced to prove that it complied with its notice requirements.

The ACC is certainly prepared to defend and support all of that. When is Maryland prepared to cut the sideshow and delay motion crap? That's the real question. Are they really prepared to take a scorched earth policy up into the Big Ten by trying to publicize conversations between other Big Ten schools and ACC schools? I mean COME ON! Seriously? They could very easily piss off their new conference mates. I don't think the court will listen much of this anyway.

Maryland knew what the terms and fees were to leave, and Maryland chose to leave. So pay the fee and leave. Cut all the other crap! They aren't that indigent.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The ACC is certainly prepared to defend and support all of that. When is Maryland prepared to cut the sideshow and delay motion crap? That's the real question. Are they really prepared to take a scorched earth policy up into the Big Ten by trying to publicize conversations between other Big Ten schools and ACC schools? I mean COME ON! Seriously? They could very easily piss off their new conference mates. I don't think the court will listen much of this anyway.

Maryland knew what the terms and fees were to leave, and Maryland chose to leave. So pay the fee and leave. Cut all the other crap! They aren't that indigent.

Sounds good.

I assume you'll be sending Pitt, Notre Dame and Syracuse back to the American to serve out the remainder of their 27-month notification period.

Reaction Score
I could care less about money from Maryland for the ACC...they are gone..the AC has moved on..and I am sooo glad that the Terps are outa here.

It is just a punishment game at this point...Maryland will eventually have their $20 million withheld by the ACC and that will be it.

But, the entertainment value is worth something of itself.

Reaction Score
I could care less about money from Maryland for the ACC...they are gone..the AC has moved on..and I am sooo glad that the Terps are outa here.

It is just a punishment game at this point...Maryland will eventually have their $20 million withheld by the ACC and that will be it.

But, the entertainment value is worth something of itself.
IMO, for the ACC this is less about the money from UMd and more about keeping the 1 remaining school in the ACC who voted against the increased exit fee locked in to the $50+M exit fee go forward. I still believe it will be resolved before anything too interesting is revealed though.

Reaction Score
I can tell you...from every indication that I have had listening to Dr. Barron, and Jimbo as they have talked to the Tallahassee Seminole Club, and by my talking to the Associate AD (an acquaintance), and talking to a couple of BOT members who are acquaintances...

FSU is pretty dang happy in the ACC.

The faculty and President always have leaned that way, the boosters are now all on line...and the BOT has better feelings about the power structure of the ACC.

FSU was never intending to go to the Big 12...the declaration to explore any options was more of a move to get the attention of Swofford. Now, if the SEC had come calling, the pressure from boosters and fans and maybe the BOT would have over ruled the President and faculty. But that wasn't going to happen. Barron explained that publicly after he talked to the SEC.

Reaction Score
To some of the ACC folk, you really think Delany and his lawyers are going to let Maryland do this if they were afraid at all of what kind of reciprocal action the ACC could move forward with?

If he feared any response at all, he would tell maryland to cool it and cut a 50 million dollar check in a heartbeat if it came down to it in the very end. The B1G sneezed and 50 million in change falls out of their pockets.

Delany and the B1G are aware of what Maryland is doing and they clearly don't mind.

Do you really believe that Delany and Co don't have some things they do not want revealed as well? Come on, man. CR is proven to be a nasty business.

Delany doesn't mind right now, because he hasn't been subpoenaed yet.

Reaction Score
You ACC fans seem strangely upset by the idea of poaching schools. It's the only way you have kept your basketball relevant.

Good Lord.

Have any ACC fans on here shown to be upset about UMD leaving? billybud sure isn't. stimpy isn't, either. Nor am I. I DO admit, however, that it sucks to see a founding member of the ACC decide to leave. But, they're gone, and, thats it. I wish them well, and, good luck, in the B1G. Because they are sure going to need it. The exit fee stuff is for administrators to fight over.

There will be a time of good feelings when the Terps first enter the B1G, but, after a few years, and, a few miserable trips to College Park, their attitudes will change. Its the lone place in the ACC where I have seen batteries thrown at opposing fans.

About ACC hoops, they have and always be relevant. The old Big East passed us as the best league, by a large margin, for sure. But, we were NEVER not relevant...LOL. Thinking otherwise is ridiculous.

Reaction Score
I can tell you...from every indication that I have had listening to Dr. Barron, and Jimbo as they have talked to the Tallahassee Seminole Club, and by my talking to the Associate AD (an acquaintance), and talking to a couple of BOT members who are acquaintances...

FSU is pretty dang happy in the ACC.

The faculty and President always have leaned that way, the boosters are now all on line...and the BOT has better feelings about the power structure of the ACC.

FSU was never intending to go to the Big 12...the declaration to explore any options was more of a move to get the attention of Swofford. Now, if the SEC had come calling, the pressure from boosters and fans and maybe the BOT would have over ruled the President and faculty. But that wasn't going to happen. Barron explained that publicly after he talked to the SEC.

The faculty really don't care. At all.

Reaction Score
You guys really protest about Maryland way, way, way too much. Trust me, UConn fans despise Maryland, and especially their fans. And Sweaty Williams more than anyone. His pals at the Washington Post smeared Jim Calhoun with lie after lie. So we despise those Twerps. Nonetheless, we're pretty dispassionate in this whole Maryland/ACC breakup feud, and from where I stand, your dismissals and protests are way too shrill.

Reaction Score
It's going to be easier for Maryland to claim that it has been damaged than it will be for the ACC, which upgraded in all sports by adding Louisville.

Here's the fundamental problem I have with the ACC's exit fee. Picture 12 people in a group walking into a meeting, at a time when the penalty for leaving the meeting being $17. All of a sudden, the first agenda item is to raise the penalty to $51. What options do you have?

In addition to proving that it has been damaged to the tune of $51 million, the ACC will also be forced to prove that it complied with its notice requirements.

That is the gist of all of this...did the ACC comply with its own bylaws in raising the exit fee? If it shown that they did, UMD will on the hook for the whole $52M. If not, UMD will play the $17M, and, it'll all be over.

Reaction Score
IMO, for the ACC this is less about the money from UMd and more about keeping the 1 remaining school in the ACC who voted against the increased exit fee locked in to the $50+M exit fee go forward. I still believe it will be resolved before anything too interesting is revealed though.

Actually, the vote for the $52M was 10-2, with UMD and FSU voting no.

Reaction Score
You guys really protest about Maryland way, way, way too much. Trust me, UConn fans despise Maryland, and especially their fans. And Sweaty Williams more than anyone. His pals at the Washington Post smeared Jim Calhoun with lie after lie. So we despise those Twerps. Nonetheless, we're pretty dispassionate in this whole Maryland/ACC breakup feud, and from where I stand, your dismissals and protests are way too shrill.

Some on here are not too dispassionate, when they continue to say things like we're mad about UMD being poached. When those comments are made, we respond. If you do not ask, or, make remarks about it, we won't mention it.

Reaction Score
Some on here are not too dispassionate, when they continue to say things like we're mad about UMD being poached. When those comments are made, we respond. If you do not ask, or, make remarks about it, we won't mention it.

I'm just saying you protest it too much. I mean, we've heard analysis here about a school like Pittsburgh more than replacing Maryland. it defies belief.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
No. Most of us are perfectly fine with Maryland paying $52 million and getting the heck out of the ACC and going to the Big Ten.
As a fan, how do you benefit over whatever amount Maryland pays? All I have read everywhere is that it's a "good riddance, don't let the door hit you in the ass, UL is an upgrade" scenario. But you can't seem to let them go without a 50 million pound of flesh. The same attitude was described as "psycho ex-girlfriend" by BC fans when the BE tried to hold them to the agreed exit fee.

Reaction Score
As a fan, how do you benefit over whatever amount Maryland pays? All I have read everywhere is that it's a "good riddance, don't let the door hit you in the ass, UL is an upgrade" scenario. But you can't seem to let them go without a 50 million pound of flesh. The same attitude was described as "psycho ex-girlfriend" by BC fans when the BE tried to hold them to the agreed exit fee.

Follow the rules. Go out there and die in a dying football conference where demographically you will not win. Fine with us. But pay up and get the heck out. Build a statue of Dr. Wallace Loh, and put it at the entrance of Byrd Stadium if you want, but pay up and leave.

Reaction Score

There is no feud. Maryland owes $52 million. We intend to collect, and we want the door to slap them on the arse. Don't have any desire to play them again. Goodbye.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Nothing from Delaney and the B1G has been subpoenaed yet, and the court can order whatever is to remain confidential. But it is Maryland that is taking to case directly to the B1G and to members of the B1G with this counntersuit. The Counter Suit has a high probability of dismissal since most of it was dismissed once in Maryland court. And the part that wasn't has a good argument against it in standing.

Eventually, we'll all get back to the exit fee after all of Maryland's stall tactics are exhausted.
Third party subpoenas can be tricky.

I think you've misunderstood, perhaps deliberately, what happened in Maryland court system.

Reaction Score
I'm just saying you protest it too much. I mean, we've heard analysis here about a school like Pittsburgh more than replacing Maryland. it defies belief.

OK, I hear you now. I do occasionally type too fast with the brain in low gear. :)

Reaction Score
Third party subpoenas can be tricky.

I think you've misunderstood, perhaps deliberately, what happened in Maryland court system.

I know exactly what happened in Maryland court. All complaints about injury to Maryland were dismissed. The motion to change venue was denied. The overlap with the ACC case in North Carolina was stayed to defer to the North Carolina Court. And the Maryland appeal in Maryland court was dismissed.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Do you really believe that Delany and Co don't have some things they do not want revealed as well? Come on, man. CR is proven to be a nasty business.

Delany doesn't mind right now, because he hasn't been subpoenaed yet.
The ability to compel a non-party to produce documents is limited. Minimally you need to articulate a rational basis for the information that relates to the suit. The B1G isn't being drawn into this, unless the ACC amends it's complaint, which it could do. I suspect that it won't.

Reaction Score
The faculty really don't care. At all.

What the do you know about the FSU faculty's wishes? I, at least, retired from FSU.

The faculty certainly did care when FSU went to the ACC vs SEC several decades back...The FSU President, Dr. Bernie Sliger, notated as such.

""More people here wanted the ACC; that's what really changed me," Sliger said. "The faculty really wanted the ACC. There were very few [faculty members] that had gone to the SEC, but many of them had gone to North Carolina and Virginia, places like that."

That leaning towards the ACC by faculty has not changed appreciably over time...Some of those same faculty are now department heads, and senior faculty.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What the do you know about the FSU faculty's wishes? I, at least, retired from FSU.

The faculty certainly did care when FSU went to the ACC vs SEC several decades back...The FSU President, Dr. Bernie Sliger, notated as such.

""More people here wanted the ACC; that's what really changed me," Sliger said. "The faculty really wanted the ACC. There were very few [faculty members] that had gone to the SEC, but many of them had gone to North Carolina and Virginia, places like that."

That leaning towards the ACC by faculty has not changed appreciably over time...

Have you talked to FSU faculty lately? They don't care. They don't care about any of it.

Reaction Score
Wow, you guys sound really really butthurt. It's in your posts.

Reaction Score
Some of those same faculty are now department heads, senior faculty
Have you talked to FSU faculty lately? They don't care. They don't care about any of it.

Yep...I often talk to some of my old workmates...

I go to functions...I keep up with some of the guys. Some old work friends are now in management positions at FSU.

Reaction Score
Wow, you guys sound really really butthurt. It's in your posts.

butt hurt? You are the one who talks out of your butt and sounds sore. With absolutely no information, you make a declaring statement (based on nothing but your opinion).

I can refute it with authority...and you get bent.

If you just have to believe that you know better...I guess you just have to believe something to make you feel better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom