Marquette Scouting Report | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Marquette Scouting Report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With this game being played on Marquette’s home court, to me it projects as dead even. Marquette is one of the best shooting teams in the country and we are one of the best defensive teams Classic matchup.

A couple of things favor us. Marquette is not a good rebounding team. We can exploit that. They are also a poor free throw shooting team. Free throws matter a lot in close games.
Especially against us, and especially when we’re on the road…

Reaction Score
Right now the trend is not our friend.
You were right about 3 pt shooting and rebounding until the start of the NBE season.
We've been outrebounded 4 of the last 5 games and our 3 pt % has gone down so much we're at 35.7% and they're at 35.3%.

Being outrebounded by itself doesn’t mean anything in the kinds of games we’ve been playing where there’s a disparity in free throw attempts. We’re taking more shots from the floor, so there are more missed shots and more rebounds available to the opposing teams.

Offensive rebounds are the important stat because they mean extra possessions. Defensive rebounds do not. Our offensive rebounds have been mostly good in this stretch.

Reaction Score
Hopkins was only 3-10 for ten points against St John's on Saturday. I didn't see the game, but I'm guessing they were able to throw a better defender on him.

I noticed that too. I also noticed that St. John’s got more fouls called against them PC got more free throw attempts. It’s what they do.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
The hottest fires forge the sharpest steel. Karaban is getting a “trial by fire” this season. Yeah, he struggles against top competition but the fact that he is out there and battling for the minutes. He does as a freshman is impressive.
^^ This and honestly Samson, no dis against him,I want to see him succeed , he pretty much had his soph season robbed by a crap injury, is so way behind Karaban on what we are doing as a team this season that I have no answer. but this is the boneyard, every bench player (including springs) is better than our option and every unknown quantity is better than who we put on the floor.

Lets put it this way, Samson Johnson was a frosh on LAST years team. A team that got bounced as a much higher seed. A team that had real needs. But yet he of not even 1/2 a game of play THIS year as a soph is the answer to our teams issues? We were playing polley at 4 at times last year. LOL,

Reaction Score
Not as worried about Marquette as I was last two away games.. We have better athletes and stronger D.. Marquette should make the Tourney.. UConn by 10
They have better run and jump athletes at the 4/5, we have better ones 1-3. Sanogo does have a large strength advantage, though.

We just have to get either do a great job of getting back on D or kill them on the boards. 1 or the other should be enough. If we do neither, we lose.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
They have better run and jump athletes at the 4/5, we have better ones 1-3. Sanogo does have a large strength advantage, though.

We just have to get either do a great job of getting back on D or kill them on the boards. 1 or the other should be enough. If we do neither, we lose.

I look at it as akin to the Xavier game, if we are taking the ball out of the basket at the end line more times than not, we lose. (obvious is obvious , but Im talking pace) . We need to rebound and push. And marquette is rated ABOVE Xavier in Offensive efficiency. Our bigs and our sets are minimized in that scenario. Our advantage is our bigs, but to make them an advantage we need to run 1/2 court. I dont like us to slow it down. We were killer early for pushing out for our runs.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I like Karaban getting all these minutes. Next year he's a beast.
agreed but we're in win-now mode. i dont get all these silver lining threads and comments about who may or may not come back next year etc. Still lots of unknowns so this is our best shot at winning the BE and making a Final 4 type run.

Reaction Score
@Hey Adrien!, are you a KenPom subscriber? If so, it would be cool to see the KenPom score prediction in your scouting report.

If not, maybe someone else who is a subscriber could reply to the thread with that info?

Reaction Score
I like the way that Karaban spreads the floor when he’s making his shot from the corner. As long as he’s making some of them, the other tam’s 4 has to come out to guard him, opening things up in the middle.

Reaction Score
You’re underrating Marquette.
Marquette is a very efficient/smart team that is well-coached and I expect them to make the Tournament. I don't think it will be a cakewalk in Milwaukee. I do not think they have better athletes than us. Expect another strong game from AS/DC.. If we control James/Kolek.. I like our chances esp. if we dictate pace and get some of their starters in early foul trouble. Our bench will be the X factor

Reaction Score
Right now the trend is not our friend.
You were right about 3 pt shooting and rebounding until the start of the NBE season.
We've been outrebounded 4 of the last 5 games and our 3 pt % has gone down so much we're at 35.7% and they're at 35.3%.
I kind of rushed writing my post and worded it poorly.

What I was trying to say is that Marquette doesn’t rebound well or shoot 3’s well.

So if we dominate in rebounding, as expected by the stats, we’ll have a huge advantage inside.

Likewise, we are an excellent defensive team against the 3 pt shot. We have a chance, with our D and their bad shooting, to shut down their 3 pt game completely.

So if we simply do what we’re good at, which is also what Marquette is bad at, we should win. Particularly if we don’t turn the ball over, which is what Marquette tries to do to their opponents.

Reaction Score

They won't have any answer for Clingan, nobody does it's just will coach give him enough minutes?

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
We beat almost this exact team last year, twice - both squads are better this year, but they have more continuity on their roster.

FWIW we are 4-0 against them since re-joining the BE, sort of how we wanted to finally beat Creighton you can imagine that’s how they are feeling.

Reaction Score
We beat almost this exact team last year, twice - both squads are better this year, but they have more continuity on their roster.

FWIW we are 4-0 against them since re-joining the BE, sort of how we wanted to finally beat Creighton you can imagine that’s how they are feeling.
Marquette is nothing like they were last season.

Reaction Score
Anyone get an idea of TV coverage? ESPN doesn’t have a channel listed as of now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom