Marquette Scouting Report | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Marquette Scouting Report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He got abused on the boards in this game, and certainly failed to stop Hopkins. He's had a few tough matchups in a row. For most of the year, he's just been the weakest link on a really good defense. OMax next game is another tough matchup, but then I don't think he'll have problems with David Jones, Ndefo, or Lukosius in the 3 after that.
Yeah the strong/quick/athletic guys just give him huge issues. But those 3 shouldn’t be too tough to handle. I’ve also noticed he doesn’t box out that well. He doesn’t find his man quick enough to get a body on him, and that affects the rebounding.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
When he fouls he fouls kind of soft, it seems like he’s given up a lot of And-1s
He’s trying to just put his arms up, but he’s late and it leads to easy +1s. I’d rather he just wrecked people. Next year, he should have 10-15 pounds of muscle. It would make a big difference. We need a Caron Butler type guy, who can be physical.

Reaction Score
Marquette: 13-4
Kenpom Rating: 15
Overall Strength of Schedule: 34th (162nd hardest non-con)

Best win:
  • 96-70 v #23 Baylor
    • Olivier-Maxence Prosper (24 points, 3-4 from 3)
    • Kam Jones (20 points, 4 assists, 4-7 from 3)
    • David Joplin (19 points, 3-4 from 3)

Worst loss (no “awful” losses):
  • Regulation losses: @ Purdue by five & vs Mississippi State (neutral) by three
  • OT losses: v Wisconsin by three and 2OT loss @ Providence by five

Currently on a four game winning streak with wins over Seton Hall, Villanova, St. John’s and Georgetown

OFFENSE: 6th in efficiency
  • 3rd in 2p% (60.5%)
  • 11th in quickest possession length (15.3 seconds/possession)
  • 23rd in lowest turnover rate (15.6)
  • 31st in A/FGM (59.4%)
  • 95th in 3PA/FGA (41.1%)
  • 102nd in 3p% (35.3%)
  • Bottom third nationally in
    • FT% (69.9%)
    • FTA/FGA (27.1%)
    • Offensive rebounding rate (26.7%)

DEFENSE: 81th in efficiency
  • 19th in steal rate (13.4%)
  • 19th in forcing offenses to use clock (18.5 seconds/possession)
  • 50th in OFT% (67.1%)
  • ~Median in
    • FTA/FGA (29.7%)
    • 2P% (49.8%)
    • 3PA/FGA (38.4%)
  • Bottom-third in
    • Defensive rebounding rate
    • 3P% (34.8%)
  • Bottom-quarter in
    • A/FGM (57.1%)

_1EXWp196_5OHwhDcIpE07FMQ-FlMJIRIa43FR_ywEmPfgxXeIyrn34KasvsT3Fv46eevyi6fm4K_eATgUkvu__b7UbJkJPV28xYXkOOor4QNnGkrXAPrQuy207K5LWD_GB5LhvzUo4O1IJJ-kMAZOOr4zM6SCIfTXtBj0UxUlPA5kKtntZHLtZk2Ybu5A

Last season, Marquette’s offense was exciting, but in Year 2 of the Shaka Smart era, with the players a little bit older and with more time together they now look like a smooth offensive team (more about their pieces a bit later) that has figured out how to play fast and in control.

Defensively, they’ve got some holes. 6’9 215 junior big Oso Ighodaro is a great rim protector, works hard and puts himself in good position, but thicker bigs like Soriano (22 points) and Croswell (20 points) have used their size to their advantage and I expect Sanogo to continue his strong performance from this weekend.

Kam Jones is a crafty scorer, but is not a strong defender while Tyler Kolek looks better on defense this year than last, he often looks all over the place. Olivier-Maxence Prosper has the length and athleticism to help him become a good defender, but analytics show weaknesses on that end.

w_OvpSQQppVisJWN0ZHlrAxBCXUM-VAmzVjbMC1KqeQYFV_5AfLPn3sSFvMy6c2vQv-nzLaF76WKprlMrkt14N9xcsWSvZ6G6n7XppDLdoSL1GuOvrY1N5A7zdg5SrgrzwJRugSRYVXrbBw3jlcurxZM_w-cHiwlMoWO6wzBtpkkIVpeNwAYsDK6Xm_MXg

As mentioned earlier, I like our bigs matching up with Ighodaro’s lack of size and Kolek’s defensive efficiencies could help Newton and/or Hawkins to continue their strong play.

If there were ever a game I’d love for Samson Johnson to be back, it would be this game. Prosper is a dangerous offensive forward who is a legit three-level scorer and Johnson’s length and athleticism would help limit Prosper’s upside more so than Karaban.

One thing I really like about Marquette is the variety of tempos their guards bring, so UConn needs to be ready for that: Kam Jones gets buckets and never looks hurried while Sean Jones is arguably the fastest guard in the Big East. Mitchell, while not an elite athlete, is super controlled in transition. A frenetic defender like Diarra should shine on the defensive end against Marquette.

In the gauntlet of the Big East, this is the last of a five-game stretch where each game was projected to be close, while the following six games after this one allow for some breathing room (St. John’s, Seton Hall, Butler, Xavier, DePaul and Georgetown).

Like Xavier and Providence before, I am expecting a hard-fought game with the final score in our favor if the Huskies slow down Marquette just enough to force them into halfcourt situations.
Thanks again, awesome job. This game scares me a bit. A win here could swing our momentum back in the right direction

caw

Reaction Score
Marquette is really good, they can beat us. We need to play an A game, it won't be easy

Respect

If Marquette plays their A game UConn needs their A game. I agree 100%.

UConn needs to defend the paint and limit turnovers (live ball).

Even in the games they have lost they have been by one or two possessions. Four losses by a total of 11 points to Purdue, Wisconsin, Mississippi St and PC. This will be a test.

Reaction Score
Adama is at least a bit smarter when it comes to staying on his feet and gets the benefit of the doubt from the refs probably. Andre will probably get time on he and Jones both. Ugh. Tough matchup.
Adama just doesn't have the quickness to D up Prosper on the perimeter. Best case that leads to blow-bys, worst case that leads to foul trouble for Sanogo. Feels like we need a combo of Andre and defensive scheming when Andre isn't covering him. Unfortunately we just don't have a defensive matchup for that type of 4 right now.

Reaction Score
Is it weird that they are incredibly efficient from inside the arc, but don't get to the line? Rim protection will be paramount, maybe a game for more Clingan and less Sanogo.

We should be able to kill them on the offensive glass, but we'll need the shooting to go with it.

Reaction Score
Is it weird that they are incredibly efficient from inside the arc, but don't get to the line? Rim protection will be paramount, maybe a game for more Clingan and less Sanogo.

We should be able to kill them on the offensive glass, but we'll need the shooting to go with it.
Transition. Layups count as shots inside the arc. 30% of all their initial shots are in transition. It's 27% for us, and we're an above average transition team.

Onqnw0q.png

But also their primary creator, Kolek, isn't a foul generator. More of a prober/passing wizard. And then Kam Jones is really adept at finishing at the rim, but he's got a bit of jelly fam disease where he takes (and will make) wild layups, but won't draw fouls. OMax is really the only guy that draws fouls regularly.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I know every game feels important, but this is probably our last chance to get a top 4 BE road win, if we agree that the top 4 (no particular order) is UConn, Xavier, Providence, Marquette. Important if we think we are a legit 1/2 seed to at least take one of those road games.

Reaction Score
I know every game feels important, but this is probably our last chance to get a top 4 BE road win, if we agree that the top 4 (no particular order) is UConn, Xavier, Providence, Marquette. Important if we think we are a legit 1/2 seed to at least take one of those road games.
I made this exact point in another thread.

Going 14-6 in conference and losing all of the top 6 games (@Xavier, PC, Marquette, Creighton, Nova, and, say, Xavier at home) isn't going to get us a top 2 seed, and that outcome is entirely on the table if we don't win this one.

Reaction Score
I made this exact point in another thread.

Going 14-6 in conference and losing all of the top 6 games (@Xavier, PC, Marquette, Creighton, Nova, and, say, Xavier at home) isn't going to get us a top 2 seed, and that outcome is entirely on the table if we don't win this one.
I know it is early and I hate speculating like this but in our games against the other top 5 teams (X, PC, Marquette, creighton and nova) I was hoping we go 4-1 at home and 3-2 on the road early on.... At this point I would probably be fine with 2-3 on the road. With that said if we take care of business against the bottom of the conference I would think that 4 losses would be good enough for a 1/2 seed still

Reaction Score
I know it is early and I hate speculating like this but in our games against the other top 5 teams (X, PC, Marquette, creighton and nova) I was hoping we go 4-1 at home and 3-2 on the road early on.... At this point I would probably be fine with 2-3 on the road. With that said if we take care of business against the bottom of the conference I would think that 4 losses would be good enough for a 1/2 seed still
16-4 in conference, in the scenario you describe, would be good enough.

But even that requires going 2-1 in the remaining home games (Xavier, Marquette, PC) and 2-1 in the remaining road games (Marquette, Creighton, Nova), and 9-0 against everyone else.

If we lose this one, we'll be in a really tough spot.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
ut also their primary creator, Kolek, isn't a foul generator. More of a prober/passing wizard.
This. He's a elite level distributor.

Also it very surprising that Oso Ighodaro is averaging 3.3 assists a game from the 5 spot, he never even averaged 1. Shaka running some nice stuff this year offensively.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Freemantle, Hopkins, Kalum, and now Prosper. Thar’s just not fair to Alex
The hottest fires forge the sharpest steel. Karaban is getting a “trial by fire” this season. Yeah, he struggles against top competition but the fact that he is out there and battling for the minutes. He does as a freshman is impressive.

Reaction Score
Prosper gonna cook Karaban. I think we see 2 big lineup a lot

So Sanogo gets to cover him? An even worse matchup on the defensive end.
but that means prosper has to guard sanogo/clingan down low as well...if we can get prosper into foul trouble against sanogo and clingan then marquette is down to the bean-pole ighodaro and a 6'7 guy off the bench to man the boards against our bigs. yes please. we should get back to dominating the glass on wednesday.

Reaction Score
Freemantle, Hopkins, Kalum, and now Prosper. Thar’s just not fair to Alex
Maybe not, but does show the issues he needs to work on, and he seems like the kind of kid who will..........wait till next year.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
but that means prosper has to guard sanogo/clingan down low as well...if we can get prosper into foul trouble against sanogo and clingan then marquette is down to the bean-pole ighodaro and a 6'7 guy off the bench to man the boards against our bigs. yes please. we should get back to dominating the glass on wednesday.
Now we’re cooking with gas

Reaction Score
Dominate against their weaknesses, rebounding and 3 pt shooting, and a win is likely. Also keep our turnovers in the single digits.
Right now the trend is not our friend.
You were right about 3 pt shooting and rebounding until the start of the NBE season.
We've been outrebounded 4 of the last 5 games and our 3 pt % has gone down so much we're at 35.7% and they're at 35.3%.

Reaction Score
Maybe not, but does show the issues he needs to work on, and he seems like the kind of kid who will..........wait till next year.
Hopkins was only 3-10 for ten points against St John's on Saturday. I didn't see the game, but I'm guessing they were able to throw a better defender on him.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The hottest fires forge the sharpest steel. Karaban is getting a “trial by fire” this season. Yeah, he struggles against top competition but the fact that he is out there and battling for the minutes. He does as a freshman is impressive.

Seems like Karaban knows what he is supposed to be doing. He isn't getting burned by not being in the right spot or poor fundamentals.

He simply isn't strong enough to play strong stretch 4's. At least not yet.

Reaction Score
This is the only road game left against the top 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom