Marquette Scouting Report | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Marquette Scouting Report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Marquette is a very efficient/smart team that is well-coached and I expect them to make the Tournament. I don't think it will be a cakewalk in Milwaukee. I do not think they have better athletes than us. Expect another strong game from AS/DC.. If we control James/Kolek.. I like our chances esp. if we dictate pace and get some of their starters in early foul trouble. Our bench will be the X factor

Yes, but they have home court, which will make this a close game that could go either way. I expect our team to prevail but not by 10.

Without better athletes, they blew out #19 Baylor by 26, played #1 Purdue to a 5-point game on the road, and are off to a 5-1 start in their Big East schedule with their only loss being a 5-point double OT loss to Providence at the Dunk.

Reaction Score
We beat almost this exact team last year, twice - both squads are better this year, but they have more continuity on their roster.

FWIW we are 4-0 against them since re-joining the BE, sort of how we wanted to finally beat Creighton you can imagine that’s how they are feeling.

Having the exact team back intact is a huge advantage - especially when 4 of their top 7 players last year were freshmen and 3 of the started. And they improved their depth over last year.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score

In this video, Hopkins (who was guarded primarily by Karaban) says FOUR TIMES he took advantage of a mismatch. That needs to be rectified and necessary in-games adjustments need to be made going forward.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
They'll be very tough, particularly in Milwaukee. Kind of like PC was in Providence. There are no BE road games that you can coast through. We should have a huge advantage inside, and we need to get them into half-court D on their end. Some of their bigs in foul trouble would help.

Looking at their guard sizes, kinda makes me wish Jackson/Newton/Hawkins could force a switch to get the right matchup and then post up, particularly with Clingan in the game. If the big comes to help, alley-oop!

Reaction Score

In this video, Hopkins (who was guarded primarily by Karaban) says FOUR TIMES he took advantage of a mismatch. That needs to be rectified and necessary in-games adjustments need to be made going forward.

What he said was: “when there was a mismatch between me and Devin (Carter).” He apparently was not talking about 1:1 match ups with the guy who was his primary defender. If I had to guess, I think he was talking about situations when PC got out on the break and had favorable opportunities with whoever was guarding them after getting back on the break - probably our guards.

Reaction Score
This. He's a elite level distributor.

Also it very surprising that Oso Ighodaro is averaging 3.3 assists a game from the 5 spot, he never even averaged 1. Shaka running some nice stuff this year offensively.
Ighodaro is a very good passer and help defender. I suspect Marquette will double and feint doubling when Sanogo gets the ball in the post. It will be imperative for the players on the perimeter to move well to create a passing lane for Sanogo-Marquette overplays passing lanes and creating deflections and it becomes that much easier for them if players are standing around.

Last edited:

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Not as worried about Marquette as I was last two away games.. We have better athletes and stronger D.. Marquette should make the Tourney.. UConn by 10

I disagree about the 10, but I still like your optimism

Reaction Score
I disagree about the 10, but I still like your optimism
Have beaten them by 8 last two games with last year's team.. Figured DC/AK and portals good for 2+ pts on top of Big Three.. Saw the game vs Georgetown.. Nice game for them but wasn't blown away by their athleticism.

Still stand by 3-2 through our 5 game stretch.. A little surprised by lack of optimism .. I understand respecting the opponent but we've got to start a new streak.. #2 tonite

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I can't post this in the haiku thread for reasons that will be come apparent, so am posting it here.

I'm struggling with the question of how does one do a control group when determining mojo? Last game I did not post in either the haiku or limerick threads (unintentional oversight) and poured myself a terrific local beer (General Braddock's) just prior to tip off. I will do both again for tonight's game. However, not posting in haiku/limerick threads comes at personal expense since I get a buttload of likes from those and I enjoy doing it. I guess I have to wait for a loss. I also guess this line of thinking could be taken too far as IIRC, I did not take a dump that day.

Reaction Score
I can't post this in the haiku thread for reasons that will be come apparent, so am posting it here.

I'm struggling with the question of how does one do a control group when determining mojo? Last game I did not post in either the haiku or limerick threads (unintentional oversight) and poured myself a terrific local beer (General Braddock's) just prior to tip off. I will do both again for tonight's game. However, not posting in haiku/limerick threads comes at personal expense since I get a buttload of likes from those and I enjoy doing it. I guess I have to wait for a loss. I also guess this line of thinking could be taken too far as IIRC, I did not take a dump that day.
You're right. That would have been a bear to formulate in a series of 5-7-5s.

Reaction Score

I gave you a like here so you don’t have to post in the haiku thread. I hope others do the same.

Reaction Score

going through something similar. last game was the first time i have missed a haiku thread in years -- think it's for the best that we sit it out until the next lost.

Reaction Score
I like Karaban getting all these minutes. Next year he's a beast.

It's all an investment. He's developing BBIQ on the defensive end now, and with a strong off-season in the weight room, he's going to be a beast.

I still don't love us leaving him on an island in games we're losing...but it's good experience for him individually regardless.

Reaction Score
It's all an investment. He's developing BBIQ on the defensive end now, and with a strong off-season in the weight room, he's going to be a beast.

I still don't love us leaving him on an island in games we're losing...but it's good experience for him individually regardless.
Agree with you re: SnC off-season.. The experience he's getting this year as a freshman is priceless and I'm sure humbling.. Coach and film can educate you on a lot of stuff.. Living through it and experiencing it on a first hand basis is frequently a more effective vehicle for growth..

He's a smart guy.. He gets it and will be better for it.. Will be one of our positional strengths next year.

Reaction Score

Mojo does interesting things for Saturday noon tips. Less haiku activity but the Creighton monkey was still thrown off our backs. I think the mojo is what you make of it. I'd stick with Braddock's while it works. Personally I'm undefeated with gennie cream this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom