Marquette Scouting Report | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Marquette Scouting Report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
BJ ..If I didn't know better.. I would say you're from Wauwatosa.. It's been awhile since a Yarder has been throwing "facts" in favor of the other guys in such an important game..I see the opposition as a very good team.. Great coach.

I don't see them winning this game.. To make you feel better.. I will recalculate my winning margin to five points.. 85-80.. Good guys.. And no.. You won't be able to change my mind as to who wins the game.

Just checking in post game. How do you feel about it now?

Reaction Score
Just checking in post game. How do you feel about it now?
Marquette was the better team tonite..Hats off to Shaka..Thought he schemed the D very well...Effectively taking Sanogo and Hawkins out of the game. I was especially impressed with Prosper's D on Hawkins.. In his grille all night.
We could not match their energy.

Looking forward to rematch.

Reaction Score
Good morning Boneyard, here's an update to the scouting report with extra focus on Marquette's conference play:

Marquette: 19-5
Kenpom Rating: 8th (up from #15 last matchup)
10-1 in the last 11 games

Just ONE regulation loss since Thanksgiving

OFFENSE: 4th nationally in efficiency (6th last matchup)

Big East rankings:
  • 1st in
    • 60.0 2p%
    • 14.9% turnover rate
  • 2nd in
    • 36.5 3p%
    • Quickest time of possession (15.8 seconds)
  • 3rd in 3PA/FGA: 40.3 3p%
  • 4th in 56.7 A/FGM: 56.7%
  • 8th in offensive rebounding rate (25.6%)
  • Last in FTA/FGA (24.8%)

DEFENSE: 51st nationally in efficiency (80th last matchup)

Big East rankings
  • 1st in
    • turnover rate (23.5%)!!
    • Opp. time of possession (19.1 seconds)
  • 7th in 34.7 3p%
  • 8th in
    • FTA/FGA (30.6%)
    • A/FGM (60.4%
  • 9th in defensive rebounding rate
  • 10th in
    • 53.8 2p%
    • 3PA/FGA (37.9%)

Injury report: Freshman point guard Sean Jones (questionable, wrist)

Looking at Marquette’s Big East performance, the #1 goal for UConn is to limit mistakes on the offensive end, especially early on in possessions when forced to play in the halfcourt. Marquette is very good at limiting transition offense, but UConn has a clear advantage in their defensive rebounding as a catalyst to push the ball up the court and prevent Marquette from getting settled on D.

Even though UConn lost the first matchup, I like UConn’s length in disrupting passing lanes and making Marquette uncomfortable on shot attempts.

Based on my previous two paragraphs, it could be a big game for Andre Jackson, maybe not on the stat sheet, but driving UConn’s transition from defense to offense. Hawkins and Newton combined for 15 points (4-16 from the field) in the last matchup and it’s easy to see those two perform better this time around.

Marquette’s Top Performers over the last 30 days:
  • Tyler Kolek: 15.1p, 1.6 3PM, 4.8r, 8.5a, 1.8s, 51.2 fg%
  • Kam Jones: 15.0p, 2.6 3PM, 2.0s, 48.4 fg%
  • Oso Ighodaro: 12.9p, 4.8r, 3.4a, 1.5s, 1.8b, 70.3 fg%

uS7RDwWevGuQMeuM0-2pxDA7Cv-I0MECMTJP0GIURO1VfhI_kzi4pXKN9pPdUoj3bKTHhQPod3Uk7cArt6bk1xOouek3zd_ZPUdRhqeilq8IbSeBEUgpS43RkO0WDGNc2GtbGWo7rbRKruyhqLzFUmA

Reaction Score
Adama was outplayed by Ichodoro in the first game. I look to him having taken that personally and have a big game.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Kam Jones has one of the quickest releases in college ball, and to shoot that high a percentage with it is insane.

Reaction Score
I really need to see something from the squad this game. A win here would go a long way in showing if this will turn into a slight improvement over last year or if they can play anywhere close to how they looked in the beginning of the season. The past few weeks felt like a kick in the teeth.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
IIRC we had a poor rebounding game against them the first time. We really need to take advantage of our ability there tonight because it's something that they tend to struggle with.

Reaction Score
IIRC we had a poor rebounding game against them the first time. We really need to take advantage of our ability there tonight because it's something that they tend to struggle with.
Adama was much more aggressive on the boards last game. Hopefully he keeps it going. We’ll need every possession we can get.

Reaction Score

I disagree that we rebounded poorly against them last time. Not only did we outrebound them, but rebounding opportunities were limited by the fact that they shot 51% from the floor & 84% from the line. In real numbers that mean that only 29 defensive rebounds were available off missed FGs and only 3 FTs were missed, not all of which were even available for rebounds. We still grabbed 35 rebounds because we outrebounded them 14-10 on the offensive glass.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I disagree that we rebounded poorly against them last time. Not only did we outrebound them, but rebounding opportunities were limited by the fact that they shot 51% from the floor & 84% from the line. In real numbers that mean that only 29 defensive rebounds were available off missed FGs and only 3 FTs were missed, not all of which were even available for rebounds. We still grabbed 35 rebounds because we outrebounded them 14-10 on the offensive glass.

Yeah, maybe it was just my perception, but I remember coming into that game we were near the top of the country in offensive rebounding and they were near the bottom. I just expected domination on the boards.

Reaction Score
Yeah, maybe it was just my perception, but I remember coming into that game we were near the top of the country in offensive rebounding and they were near the bottom. I just expected domination on the boards.
We absolutely can't let them get double digit offensive rebounds against us again. They're too good offensively for that many second chances. They've only reached 10+ a few times in BE play and one of those was a 2OT game against PC.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I can't post this in the haiku thread for reasons that will be come apparent, so am posting it here.

I'm struggling with the question of how does one do a control group when determining mojo? Last game I did not post in either the haiku or limerick threads (unintentional oversight) and poured myself a terrific local beer (General Braddock's) just prior to tip off. I will do both again for tonight's game. However, not posting in haiku/limerick threads comes at personal expense since I get a buttload of likes from those and I enjoy doing it. I guess I have to wait for a loss. I also guess this line of thinking could be taken too far as IIRC, I did not take a dump that day.
I wore red Patriots socks and red underwear for most of the 14-0, then that ended. For a couple of games, my block C sweatshirt and a Haiku was a winning formula. Then it wasn't. So I changed it up. Did a musical lyric Haiku that that was good, then next time it wasn't. Today I did another, sort of (you could argue poem), but with a different piece of attire. Plus I'm going out to watch the game, but at a new location as the mojo has been awful at the one we were using. Mojo is like Gumbo. Season it to taste. Shrimp? Chicken? Andouille? It's no one factor, it's a blend of them.

Reaction Score

That’s fair. We didn’t dominate and I think you’re right about the disparity between the 2 teams going in.

On a positive note they came into that game as among the best in the country at forcing turnovers, but they didn’t turn us over any more than our regular average.

Reaction Score
We absolutely can't let them get double digit offensive rebounds against us again. They're too good offensively for that many second chances. They've only reached 10+ a few times in BE play and one of those was a 2OT game against PC.

It would be nice but that’s a tall order. They missed ten 3’s in that game. 3’s typically result in long rebounds and there’s a lot of luck involved in determining whose hands they fall into.

They normally average 9 offensive rebounds and we normally average 13. Both teams were right around their normal averages - actually slightly above for both. It would be nice if we could dominate them, but 14-10 on the offensive boards wasn’t a bad split.

Reaction Score
That’s fair. We didn’t dominate and I think you’re right about the disparity between the 2 teams going in.

On a positive note they came into that game as among the best in the country at forcing turnovers, but they didn’t turn us over any more than our regular average.

Correction. They did turn us over 16 times in that game, which THEIR regular average. To beat them, we have to do better than that.

Reaction Score
I’d like to see a press to start the game since we’re much bigger and have more length than them

Clingan demolished them last time. Literally just Andre/Clingan pick and rolls and they had no answer time and time again. Would like to see Clingan dominate again. They have no physical answer

Reaction Score
Marquette was the better team tonite..Hats off to Shaka..Thought he schemed the D very well...Effectively taking Sanogo and Hawkins out of the game. I was especially impressed with Prosper's D on Hawkins.. In his grille all night.
We could not match their energy.

Looking forward to rematch.

Rematch is here. What do you think going in?

Reaction Score
Rematch is here. What do you think going in?
83-80..Good guys.. Need to control boards/turnovers/make FTs.. XL crowd will be 6th man.. Expect Andre and our bench to show up.. Not worried about AK/TN/JH/AS/DC or our offense.. Defense needs to win the game..

Bandwagon starts revvin' up again. However we can do it.. Need to keep the crowd in the game --the whole game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thanks.

So, you’re sayin’ we won’t cover the spread. I’m calling my bookie right now. ;)

Reaction Score
Thanks.

So, you’re sayin’ we won’t cover the spread. I’m calling my bookie right now. ;)
If we get a few bounces/threes that we haven't been getting lately.. I could easily see it drifting to a 10 pt win.. You know.. The "luck" thing that's being talked about.. Just being conservative on the score.

No doubt these next two games are big.. Not a lot of folks on the Yard I can share my optimism with.. LOL

Reaction Score
Most top 25 teams have a very skilled 4. He needs to get better defensively.
I think Karaban has been fine defensively. Fremantle only scored 9 last matchup with Xavier. Outside of the Providence game where Hopkins was awarded 1 FT for every time he bounced the ball, Karaban’s defense has been pretty stout, especially for a freshman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom