Marquette Scouting Report | The Boneyard

Marquette Scouting Report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Marquette: 13-4
Kenpom Rating: 15
Overall Strength of Schedule: 34th (162nd hardest non-con)

Best win:
  • 96-70 v #23 Baylor
    • Olivier-Maxence Prosper (24 points, 3-4 from 3)
    • Kam Jones (20 points, 4 assists, 4-7 from 3)
    • David Joplin (19 points, 3-4 from 3)

Worst loss (no “awful” losses):
  • Regulation losses: @ Purdue by five & vs Mississippi State (neutral) by three
  • OT losses: v Wisconsin by three and 2OT loss @ Providence by five

Currently on a four game winning streak with wins over Seton Hall, Villanova, St. John’s and Georgetown

OFFENSE: 6th in efficiency
  • 3rd in 2p% (60.5%)
  • 11th in quickest possession length (15.3 seconds/possession)
  • 23rd in lowest turnover rate (15.6)
  • 31st in A/FGM (59.4%)
  • 95th in 3PA/FGA (41.1%)
  • 102nd in 3p% (35.3%)
  • Bottom third nationally in
    • FT% (69.9%)
    • FTA/FGA (27.1%)
    • Offensive rebounding rate (26.7%)

DEFENSE: 81th in efficiency
  • 19th in steal rate (13.4%)
  • 19th in forcing offenses to use clock (18.5 seconds/possession)
  • 50th in OFT% (67.1%)
  • ~Median in
    • FTA/FGA (29.7%)
    • 2P% (49.8%)
    • 3PA/FGA (38.4%)
  • Bottom-third in
    • Defensive rebounding rate
    • 3P% (34.8%)
  • Bottom-quarter in
    • A/FGM (57.1%)

_1EXWp196_5OHwhDcIpE07FMQ-FlMJIRIa43FR_ywEmPfgxXeIyrn34KasvsT3Fv46eevyi6fm4K_eATgUkvu__b7UbJkJPV28xYXkOOor4QNnGkrXAPrQuy207K5LWD_GB5LhvzUo4O1IJJ-kMAZOOr4zM6SCIfTXtBj0UxUlPA5kKtntZHLtZk2Ybu5A

Last season, Marquette’s offense was exciting, but in Year 2 of the Shaka Smart era, with the players a little bit older and with more time together they now look like a smooth offensive team (more about their pieces a bit later) that has figured out how to play fast and in control.

Defensively, they’ve got some holes. 6’9 215 junior big Oso Ighodaro is a great rim protector, works hard and puts himself in good position, but thicker bigs like Soriano (22 points) and Croswell (20 points) have used their size to their advantage and I expect Sanogo to continue his strong performance from this weekend.

Kam Jones is a crafty scorer, but is not a strong defender while Tyler Kolek looks better on defense this year than last, he often looks all over the place. Olivier-Maxence Prosper has the length and athleticism to help him become a good defender, but analytics show weaknesses on that end.

w_OvpSQQppVisJWN0ZHlrAxBCXUM-VAmzVjbMC1KqeQYFV_5AfLPn3sSFvMy6c2vQv-nzLaF76WKprlMrkt14N9xcsWSvZ6G6n7XppDLdoSL1GuOvrY1N5A7zdg5SrgrzwJRugSRYVXrbBw3jlcurxZM_w-cHiwlMoWO6wzBtpkkIVpeNwAYsDK6Xm_MXg

As mentioned earlier, I like our bigs matching up with Ighodaro’s lack of size and Kolek’s defensive efficiencies could help Newton and/or Hawkins to continue their strong play.

If there were ever a game I’d love for Samson Johnson to be back, it would be this game. Prosper is a dangerous offensive forward who is a legit three-level scorer and Johnson’s length and athleticism would help limit Prosper’s upside more so than Karaban.

One thing I really like about Marquette is the variety of tempos their guards bring, so UConn needs to be ready for that: Kam Jones gets buckets and never looks hurried while Sean Jones is arguably the fastest guard in the Big East. Mitchell, while not an elite athlete, is super controlled in transition. A frenetic defender like Diarra should shine on the defensive end against Marquette.

In the gauntlet of the Big East, this is the last of a five-game stretch where each game was projected to be close, while the following six games after this one allow for some breathing room (St. John’s, Seton Hall, Butler, Xavier, DePaul and Georgetown).

Like Xavier and Providence before, I am expecting a hard-fought game with the final score in our favor if the Huskies slow down Marquette just enough to force them into halfcourt situations.

Reaction Score
i have watched a bit of marquette this year and they are AWFUL at rebounding. even if they hard-double sanogo to ameliorate the matchup issue with ighodaro, they won't be able to keep him off of the glass.

it's also another game where the opponent's scariest scorer plays the four. i think the idea with providence was to have karaban start against hopkins and see how long he could last until jackson took over. the foul issues for jackson really blew that plan up. we have to be more disciplined on defense on the road.

otherwise, i like the matchup. kolek is a good player, but he doesn't scare me. kam jones is like the great value-version of hawkins.

Reaction Score
Marquette: 13-4
Kenpom Rating: 15
Overall Strength of Schedule: 34th (162nd hardest non-con)

Best win:
  • 96-70 v #23 Baylor
    • Olivier-Maxence Prosper (24 points, 3-4 from 3)
    • Kam Jones (20 points, 4 assists, 4-7 from 3)
    • David Joplin (19 points, 3-4 from 3)

Worst loss (no “awful” losses):
  • Regulation losses: @ Purdue by five & vs Mississippi State (neutral) by three
  • OT losses: v Wisconsin by three and 2OT loss @ Providence by five

Currently on a four game winning streak with wins over Seton Hall, Villanova, St. John’s and Georgetown

OFFENSE: 6th in efficiency
  • 3rd in 2p% (60.5%)
  • 11th in quickest possession length (15.3 seconds/possession)
  • 23rd in lowest turnover rate (15.6)
  • 31st in A/FGM (59.4%)
  • 95th in 3PA/FGA (41.1%)
  • 102nd in 3p% (35.3%)
  • Bottom third nationally in
    • FT% (69.9%)
    • FTA/FGA (27.1%)
    • Offensive rebounding rate (26.7%)

DEFENSE: 81th in efficiency
  • 19th in steal rate (13.4%)
  • 19th in forcing offenses to use clock (18.5 seconds/possession)
  • 50th in OFT% (67.1%)
  • ~Median in
    • FTA/FGA (29.7%)
    • 2P% (49.8%)
    • 3PA/FGA (38.4%)
  • Bottom-third in
    • Defensive rebounding rate
    • 3P% (34.8%)
  • Bottom-quarter in
    • A/FGM (57.1%)

_1EXWp196_5OHwhDcIpE07FMQ-FlMJIRIa43FR_ywEmPfgxXeIyrn34KasvsT3Fv46eevyi6fm4K_eATgUkvu__b7UbJkJPV28xYXkOOor4QNnGkrXAPrQuy207K5LWD_GB5LhvzUo4O1IJJ-kMAZOOr4zM6SCIfTXtBj0UxUlPA5kKtntZHLtZk2Ybu5A

Last season, Marquette’s offense was exciting, but in Year 2 of the Shaka Smart era, with the players a little bit older and with more time together they now look like a smooth offensive team (more about their pieces a bit later) that has figured out how to play fast and in control.

Defensively, they’ve got some holes. 6’9 215 junior big Oso Ighodaro is a great rim protector, works hard and puts himself in good position, but thicker bigs like Soriano (22 points) and Croswell (20 points) have used their size to their advantage and I expect Sanogo to continue his strong performance from this weekend.

Kam Jones is a crafty scorer, but is not a strong defender while Tyler Kolek looks better on defense this year than last, he often looks all over the place. Olivier-Maxence Prosper has the length and athleticism to help him become a good defender, but analytics show weaknesses on that end.

w_OvpSQQppVisJWN0ZHlrAxBCXUM-VAmzVjbMC1KqeQYFV_5AfLPn3sSFvMy6c2vQv-nzLaF76WKprlMrkt14N9xcsWSvZ6G6n7XppDLdoSL1GuOvrY1N5A7zdg5SrgrzwJRugSRYVXrbBw3jlcurxZM_w-cHiwlMoWO6wzBtpkkIVpeNwAYsDK6Xm_MXg

As mentioned earlier, I like our bigs matching up with Ighodaro’s lack of size and Kolek’s defensive efficiencies could help Newton and/or Hawkins to continue their strong play.

If there were ever a game I’d love for Samson Johnson to be back, it would be this game. Prosper is a dangerous offensive forward who is a legit three-level scorer and Johnson’s length and athleticism would help limit Prosper’s upside more so than Karaban.

One thing I really like about Marquette is the variety of tempos their guards bring, so UConn needs to be ready for that: Kam Jones gets buckets and never looks hurried while Sean Jones is arguably the fastest guard in the Big East. Mitchell, while not an elite athlete, is super controlled in transition. A frenetic defender like Diarra should shine on the defensive end against Marquette.

In the gauntlet of the Big East, this is the last of a five-game stretch where each game was projected to be close, while the following six games after this one allow for some breathing room (St. John’s, Seton Hall, Butler, Xavier, DePaul and Georgetown).

Like Xavier and Providence before, I am expecting a hard-fought game with the final score in our favor if the Huskies slow down Marquette just enough to force them into halfcourt situations.
I appreciate these so much I added you to my will

Reaction Score
Dominate against their weaknesses, rebounding and 3 pt shooting, and a win is likely. Also keep our turnovers in the single digits.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Freemantle, Hopkins, Kalum, and now Prosper. Thar’s just not fair to Alex
Yeah it’s more like welcome to the Big East. Can’t be a defensive liability in this conference.

Reaction Score
I appreciate these so much I added you to my will
Just diversified my retirement portfolio, thanks!

@Hey Adrien! have you ever considered doing a UConn write up as if you were scouting for the opposing team? It’d be interesting to see how you’d scout us imo.
Great idea! Would be fun to do next game as St. John’s.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Tough place to play. I was there for the Steve Novak debacle. It was loud(they are in a new arena now). Marquette and St. Johns are the only other BE teams that like to get up and down like UConn does. I think Ajax on Prosper and tight D on Jones is the way to go. UConn should be able to wear them out inside.

Reaction Score
Yeah it’s more like welcome to the Big East. Can’t be a defensive liability in this conference.

Karaban isn’t a liability he’s getting better. I mean he didn’t guard Hopkins the whole game and he abused everyone including AJ. Some tough assignments but he’s been ok for a freshman who needs to get a bit stronger.

Reaction Score
i have watched a bit of marquette this year and they are AWFUL at rebounding. even if they hard-double sanogo to ameliorate the matchup issue with ighodaro, they won't be able to keep him off of the glass.

it's also another game where the opponent's scariest scorer plays the four. i think the idea with providence was to have karaban start against hopkins and see how long he could last until jackson took over. the foul issues for jackson really blew that plan up. we have to be more disciplined on defense on the road.

otherwise, i like the matchup. kolek is a good player, but he doesn't scare me. kam jones is like the great value-version of hawkins.
We haven't been good lately on the glass

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
So Sanogo gets to cover him? An even worse matchup on the defensive end.
Adama is at least a bit smarter when it comes to staying on his feet and gets the benefit of the doubt from the refs probably. Andre will probably get time on he and Jones both. Ugh. Tough matchup.

Reaction Score
With this game being played on Marquette’s home court, to me it projects as dead even. Marquette is one of the best shooting teams in the country and we are one of the best defensive teams Classic matchup.

A couple of things favor us. Marquette is not a good rebounding team. We can exploit that. They are also a poor free throw shooting team. Free throws matter a lot in close games.

Reaction Score
Love the kid, but he is a liability on defense right now.
He got abused on the boards in this game, and certainly failed to stop Hopkins. He's had a few tough matchups in a row. For most of the year, he's just been the weakest link on a really good defense. OMax next game is another tough matchup, but then I don't think he'll have problems with David Jones, Ndefo, or Lukosius in the 3 after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom