Marquette Scouting Report | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Marquette Scouting Report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Have beaten them by 8 last two games with last year's team.. Figured DC/AK and portals good for 2+ pts on top of Big Three.. Saw the game vs Georgetown.. Nice game for them but wasn't blown away by their athleticism.

Still stand by 3-2 through our 5 game stretch.. A little surprised by lack of optimism .. I understand respecting the opponent but we've got to start a new streak.. #2 tonite

We had a different team last year, so those results are meaningless. Their players were mostly freshmen last year and the year of experience makes them completely different this year as well.

Reaction Score
You can tell how in their head multiple of our guys are about the shooting woes right now, they are hesitating like crazy even on wide open shots. We need a good night to get them back on track firing away.

Reaction Score
We had a different team last year, so those results are meaningless. Their players were mostly freshmen last year and the year of experience makes them completely different this year as well.
Yeah we just obliterated them on the boards and in the paint with Martin last year (5 o boards one game, 8 2 pointers made in the other). He's gone.

Reaction Score
But they are a bad rebounding team again
I haven't watched them that much but the only reason they were even in that game against Purdue was dominating the offensive glass. Just an anomaly?

Reaction Score
Seems like Karaban knows what he is supposed to be doing. He isn't getting burned by not being in the right spot or poor fundamentals.

He simply isn't strong enough to play strong stretch 4's. At least not yet.
And he’s isn’t fast enough. He’s getting burned by quicker feet, I was watching his defense pretty close last couple games

Reaction Score
I'm watching the Jim Rome show on that so called garbage network right now. So some people do get that channel.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
We need this W. Have to prove we can beat an upper echelon team on their home court. If we can’t do that, and we’re 0-2, we aren’t going deep in the NCAAs.
It’s been a yearly thing. Needs to end tonight

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Need our guards to play better on ball defense and hustle to get back. Other than Diarra at times, they’ve been really bad. I wonder if Hurley makes an adjustment with Karaban on defense

Reaction Score
We’re good tonight. Due for better shooting.
Yeah we need JC or NA to hit a couple of shots and hopefully at least a 3rd scorer In double figures besides Sanogo and Hawkins. We are do for a decent to good offensive effort. Offensively they have been much better than us in league play but our D is vastly superior. Something’s gotta give
It's all an investment. He's developing BBIQ on the defensive end now, and with a strong off-season in the weight room, he's going to be a beast.

I still don't love us leaving him on an island in games we're losing...but it's good experience for him individually regardless.
id like to see Alex more involved offensively. He deserves an 18+ point game and it would make us so much more dangerous if he’s more or a threat.

Reaction Score
Yeah we need JC or NA to hit a couple of shots and hopefully at least a 3rd scorer In double figures besides Sanogo and Hawkins. We are do for a decent to good offensive effort. Offensively they have been much better than us in league play but our D is vastly superior. Something’s gotta give

id like to see Alex more involved offensively. He deserves an 18+ point game and it would make us so much more dangerous if he’s more or a threat.

He needs to face up and be a threat to drive. He often doesn't even look at the rim. Probably an off-season project. He's great at spacing the floor, finding open spots for shots, and cutting... but without the threat of a drive he's too limited on that end.

Reaction Score
X v Creighton on FS1, so it's not about AAC.
When I looked that Big East schedule this past Sunday I was hoping that the Xavier-Crieighton game and UConn-Marquette games were on different times so I could watch both live. But I do know the influence that TV networks have on game schedules so I have to accept it.

Reaction Score

So we've beaten them the last four games-- Assuming that's meaningless-- They have a team significantly made up of players from last year's team that played meaningful minutes for them. I think we have upgraded our team from the previous two years when we beat them four times..

Its good for the BE that they're having a good year.. Tonite will be a meaningful road win for us on Selection Sunday..

I still like our chances.

Reaction Score
I'm watching the Jim Rome show on that so called garbage network right now. So some people do get that channel.
Most people think Jim Everett killed Jim Rome a few decades ago.

Reaction Score
So we've beaten them the last four games-- Assuming that's meaningless-- They have a team significantly made up of players from last year's team that played meaningful minutes for them. I think we have upgraded our team from the previous two years when we beat them four times..

I still like our chances.

The fact that we’ve upgraded is obviously a good thing, but it doesn’t mean that the matchups of a different group of guys with the same jerseys has any relevance to tonight’s game.

The fact that they have mostly the same guys from last year is actually a plus for them. Four of their 5 current starters were in their first year with the program last year. So was this year’s 6th man. They were just getting to know each other last year. And 3 of them were freshmen who were new to college basketball entirely. That year of experience together makes a huge difference. That’s the beauty of college basketball. Players get better from year to year and teams evolve.

I like our chances too, but I think this is going to be a nail biter.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I know little about Marquette except from this post. I look at their top 5 lineups and all feature Ighodaro. He's smaller than either of our 5s and not a significant offensive threat. That means our centers can play back and protect the rim. I expect him to have two fouls fairly quickly and eventually foul out. They seem to have no real viable backup center. Given our offensive ability at the position, I really don't know how they stop Sanogo or Clingan. If we went two bigs on them, I simply don't know what they could do about it.

Maybe I am over simplifying. My biggest concern is that Dan pulls a St. Johns and tries to match-up with a small lineup.

Reaction Score
The fact that we’ve upgraded is obviously a good thing, but it doesn’t mean that the matchups of a different group of guys with the same jerseys has any relevance to tonight’s game.

The fact that they have mostly the same guys from last year is actually a plus for them. Four of their 5 current starters were in their first year with the program last year. So was this year’s 6th man. They were just getting to know each other last year. And 3 of them were freshmen who were new to college basketball entirely. That year of experience together makes a huge difference. That’s the beauty of college basketball. Players get better from year to year and teams evolve.

I like our chances too, but I think this is going to be a nail biter.
BJ ..If I didn't know better.. I would say you're from Wauwatosa.. It's been awhile since a Yarder has been throwing "facts" in favor of the other guys in such an important game..I see the opposition as a very good team.. Great coach.

I don't see them winning this game.. To make you feel better.. I will recalculate my winning margin to five points.. 85-80.. Good guys.. And no.. You won't be able to change my mind as to who wins the game.

Reaction Score
BJ ..If I didn't know better.. I would say you're from Wauwatosa.. It's been awhile since a Yarder has been throwing "facts" in favor of the other guys in such an important game..I see the opposition as a very good team.. Great coach.

I don't see them winning this game.. To make you feel better.. I will recalculate my winning margin to five points.. 85-80.. Good guys.. And no.. You won't be able to change my mind as to who wins the game.

Wouldn’t try, big guy. We can check in after the game. For the record, I’m picking our guys to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom