March 16 Games Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

March 16 Games Thread

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Despite the magic 100 today Tenn put all of its defects on full display. A decent team would have put them behind and those defects would become cracks and it would be lights out UT before the 4th quarter.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
After its 62-35 victory over Elon, the Wolfpack Women of NC State improve to 25-8 on the season, and faces old ACC nemesis, Maryland, Sunday. Elon concludes its season at 25-8. NC State is now 13-2 in NCAAT games played in Raleigh and have not lost a home NCAAT game since 1983.

After a cold start, NC State ended up shooting near its season FG%, finishing 22 of 52 for 42.3%. Elon was cold all day, shooting just 12 of 51 for 23.5%.

State was 7 of 17 from THREE, while Elon was 5 of 16.

NCState was 11 of 17 from the FT line...while Elon was 6 of 16.

NC State outrebounded Elon, 42-36 and forced 17 turnovers. NC State turned the ball over 13 times, but only 3 turnovers in the second half.

Kiara Leslie was the leading scorer for NC State, with 13 points and 4 rebounds. Ace Konig recorded 12points on 5 of 9 shooting, and grabbed 5 boards. Chelsea Nelson had 9 points with 12 rebounds, Erika Cassell also notched 9 points and Akela Maize had 8. Kayla Ealey added 7 for NC State.

For Elon, its star was the only one in double figures. Shay Burnett recorded 12 points on 4 of 10 shooting, was 3 of 4 from THREE and grabbed 6 boards.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
welp... that was a boring start to the tourney.... good thing there are men's games to watch as well. hope things get better for the later session

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Westbeld off to the locker room?

05onfire1_xp-master768-v2.jpg

Reaction Score
Just saw that Andraya Carter is doing the Texas A&M game. That's a nice quick transition to the booth for her. Good to see she has landed on her feet. Always seemed like a real nice kid (for a Lady Vol ;) )

I've seen her do several games, she was fine ... which is pretty good for a newbie.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
A rare 3rd quarter appearance for ND walk-on Katie Cole. I don't think she would have ever dreamed 12 months ago that she'd be playing in an NCAA tournament game.

Looks like Westbeld is done for the day (and hopefully only today!), so ND is down to 6 six scholarship players.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
California's coach ,with Anigwe out (medical yes, what??) , has to be thinking:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
A rare 3rd quarter appearance for ND walk-on Katie Cole. I don't think she would have ever dreamed 12 months ago that she'd be playing in an NCAA tournament game.

Looks like Westbeld is done for the day (and hopefully only today!), so ND is down to 6 six scholarship players.

She limp off? Not watching it.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Great summary of UVA’s situation. I’m routing for them to win today and Boyle to be gone anyway. She won’t take the program where it could/should go.

Sounds like a perfect replacement for Holly. Sorry, it was low hanging fruit and I just had to grab it! :p

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
welp... that was a boring start to the tourney.... good thing there are men's games to watch as well. hope things get better for the later session

You'll want to take a mid-morning nap or a pizza run when UConn is playing.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
That's a bummer for Anigwe and Cal.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Despite the magic 100 today Tenn put all of its defects on full display. A decent team would have put them behind and those defects would become cracks and it would be lights out UT before the 4th quarter.

Oregon St. needs to be able to handle Tennessee's pressure, they had issues with that at times this year. They've also struggled to beat good teams on the road. I'm not hugely optimistic about OSU's chances.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Watching the VA/Cal game. Around the 7:30 mark of the 3rd quarter, Cal player gets a steal and it's a 2 player breakaway. The Cal player with out the ball is trailing and decides to step in front of the closest pursuing Cavalier player and basically slows down enough so that the Cavalier player would run up her back if she didn't stop. Is this sort of blocking legal in basketball? (There was contact made.)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Oregon St. needs to be able to handle Tennessee's pressure, they had issues with that at times this year. They've also struggled to beat good teams on the road. I'm not hugely optimistic about OSU's chances.

I didn't say Oregon State was a decent team. As Holly said, it is HUGE that they got to be at home with the young crew, but they would absolutely get creamed bya good mid-major with a big who could say scat to Russel.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
She limp off? Not watching it.

She was subbed off after 3 or 4 minutes. I was sort of half-watching so I didn't see what happened. Folks on McGraw's bench said it was an ankle injury.

She played with a bad ankle last year and then never quite healed properly from off-season ankle surgery. So she's been playing through some amount of pain all year.

Hopefully keeping her out of the rest of the game was just a precaution.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Watching the VA/Cal game. Around the 7:30 mark of the 3rd quarter, Cal player gets a steal and it's a 2 player breakaway. The Cal player with out the ball is trailing and decides to step in front of the closest pursuing Cavalier player and basically slows down enough so that the Cavalier player would run up her back if she didn't stop. Is this sort of blocking legal in basketball? (There was contact made.)

I don't think it's illegal. It's fairly smart.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I didn't say Oregon State was a decent team. As Holly said, it is HUGE that they got to be at home with the young crew, but they would absolutely get creamed bya good mid-major with a big who could say scat to Russel.

Oregon St. is more than a decent team, better than all but a few mid majors I would say. Gulich is 6-4 or 6-5 and a very good post player. If OSU doesn't turn the ball over a ton and their shooters are hitting behind the arc, they can definitely win. They could definitely lose as well. I think you're underselling Tennessee a bit. They have beaten Marquette, Texas, Stanford, South Carolina (X2), Texas A&M and Georgia this year. They are inconsistent but a terrible team is not going to have that list of wins.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashfan

Top Bottom