March 16 Games Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

March 16 Games Thread

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Because conference tournaments are only in existence to make additional revenue, there's no guarantee that the winner will be one of the better teams. So, they could limit the conference tournament to the top 8 teams and do away with the 1 and 2 game byes that a lot of conferences have. Then hopefully only the top teams automatically qualify. However, teams that didn't qualify for the conference tournament can still make the Big Dance as at-large teams, which is every team's goal.
I don't know about all conference tournament. In the SEC every team makes it in. So using a example here. If Vanderbilt won the tournament they would be in the NCAA tournament .

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Eric Frede is in Waco tonight, guess he won't be doing tomorrow's games in Storrs. :(

Centerstream

Reaction Score
I don't know about all conference tournament. In the SEC every team makes it in. So using a example here. If Vanderbilt won the tournament they would be in the NCAA tournament .
And with my "plan", Vandy would be home for the tournaments.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Seattle U. is finally finding the bottom of the net, but Oregon is warming up behind the arc. 63-26 halfway thru Q3. Ionescu needs 1 assist and 3 rebounds for career triple double #10.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Cut the field to 32 eliminate the first round

That makes Tourney games more compelling, but actually compounds the problem of competitive balance throughout D1 if you are taking 32 bids away. Vast majority of teams would have no hope of ever making the Tourney, no incentive to try to improve their program. Should half of the D1 programs be kicked down to D2?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Because conference tournaments are only in existence to make additional revenue, there's no guarantee that the winner will be one of the better teams. So, they could limit the conference tournament to the top 8 teams and do away with the 1 and 2 game byes that a lot of conferences have. Then hopefully only the top teams automatically qualify. However, teams that didn't qualify for the conference tournament can still make the Big Dance as at-large teams, which is every team's goal.
Actually the 1/2 round byes are to ensure the better team gets a favorable seeding, requiring the worse teams to play more games in more days. Louisville and ND only had to play 3 games in the ACC Tourney vs. NC or WF who would have to had played 5 games.
The parity in the women’s game is getting better as these types of games were routing in both round 1&2 by the top 5 or 6 seeds in each regional. Now it is confined to the top2/3 teams. The Villanova SDSU game is great!

Reaction Score
I understand but then we can’t complain about first round blow outs with smaller conferences playing power 5 . Find a way for parity in the game to wide of a gap between every level of team

Reaction Score
Nova SDSU is a 8-9 game should be close top 5 or 6 seeds barely get challenged

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Ionescu 1 rebound away from triple double. Will be interesting to see if Graves let's her try to get it or sits her for the 4th quarter. 70-32.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Like I said I don't have the answer, but I don't like the idea of taking opportunities away.

As good as UConn and a few other teams are, really no reason for a 32 team field probably. Could cut it down to 16 to be more realistic.

Reaction Score
I was at work and I thought while glancing at the TV that a Notre Dame player was being helped off the court. I couldn't watch because I was busy. Who was it? Any word?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
#8 So Dakota State in a dogfight with #9 Villanova. ‘Nova is up 66-63 with 14.7 seconds left in the game. Go Harry!

‘Nova 13-33 in threes :eek: same old, same old

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Actually the 1/2 round byes are to ensure the better team gets a favorable seeding, requiring the worse teams to play more games in more days. Louisville and ND only had to play 3 games in the ACC Tourney vs. NC or WF who would have to had played 5 games.
The parity in the women’s game is getting better as these types of games were routing in both round 1&2 by the top 5 or 6 seeds in each regional. Now it is confined to the top2/3 teams. The Villanova SDSU game is great!
I understand what the tournament games are for. That's why my suggestion is to only have the TOP 8 teams in the tournament. BUT, it's lost revenue because of the 200 fans in the seats for the first 2 rounds of the tournament. :rolleyes:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
WOw just wow on the Nova/SDSU game

Edit-Nan beat me to it! Tortoise and the Hare game here-Villanova ahead all game and BAM SDSU ties it!

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Mostly subs in now. Gildon is having a really nice game for Oregon. Ayuso looks pretty good. She's gonna be stuck behind Cazorla and Ionescu next year too (unless she replaces Bando in the starting lineup, but they might want to go bigger w/ Boley), but as a Jr. could be a really could backcourt partner for Ionescu.

Reaction Score
WTH happened? I gave up on Nova-SDSU with Cats up by 5 or 6 with about 20 seconds left.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom