Lukas Kisunas Commits to UConn | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Lukas Kisunas Commits to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Lukas is really light on his feet and moves very athletically with a natural looseness. Big, physical, skilled in so many ways. European fundamentals that impact how a team plays. This recruit, Lukas, is going to have a major impact on our basketball team. I am thrilled about having Lukas play here. What an excellent commitment this is!!

Reaction Score
Of course I watch basketball. I have watched UCONN bball since the late 70's. He would fit in great with those teams. LOL! Seriously it is good pickup as it fit our needs but I make a valid statement to bring up is that his ranking is really low and this isn't the type of recruit we normally shoot for at UCONN. I understand due to current situation this is a great get but it still stings that we can't even scratch the surface of top 50 ranked players like Ignas Brazdeikis who we were interested in.

NBA drafted? Wow that is being positive. I haven't seen him play but from the videos I can can see his upside being a solid college basketball player. He doesn't have offensive talent(outside shot or athletic ability) to make any NBA draft board presently.

Ater Majok was drafted... Honestly, in his videos he already looks like someone who we'd love in a UConn jersey. I'm projecting out 4 years of studying the game hard and learning. My whole point is just, why would you focus mainly on the ranking to react to the guy? Trust our coaches, trust that they see a ton of guys play basketball and sometimes you just see something in a kid who is very low ranked. I'm over the moon about this recruit simply because, as many others have already stated, he is the type of kid we see on a team we expect to dominate and then lose to or come close. He just has a feel for the game as a big man down low, whereas usually we bring in rail thin athletes and try to teach them basketball. We don't need to teach him how to catch the ball, and to then go immediately up with it. He likes playing back to the basket, faking, absorbing contact. This is a lunchpail guy, and I hope that Mamadou is similar, but he's smaller

Reaction Score
I like that his instinct is to reverse pivot and get to the rim when he screens. That's something we've been missing for years. Obviously has been coached well. Seems to have a decent left and right hand. If he can learn to outlet pass, or kick it out to our hyper-talented wings and guards... We may just be a final four team in a couplefew years.

Reaction Score
I know we need to get the official mausurements from @mauconnfan, but just FYI this kid seems to be bigger than what he's generally listed as at the recruiting sites:

Of course, Brewster might be lying (I certainly would if I was in their shoes). But he's definitely not undersized for a college center.

Have seen him listed at 6'8", 6'9" and 6'10". He'll be 7' by the time we add a Hilton unit or 2. Excellent pick up.

Reaction Score
Ater Majok was drafted... Honestly, in his videos he already looks like someone who we'd love in a UConn jersey. I'm projecting out 4 years of studying the game hard and learning. My whole point is just, why would you focus mainly on the ranking to react to the guy? Trust our coaches, trust that they see a ton of guys play basketball and sometimes you just see something in a kid who is very low ranked. I'm over the moon about this recruit simply because, as many others have already stated, he is the type of kid we see on a team we expect to dominate and then lose to or come close. He just has a feel for the game as a big man down low, whereas usually we bring in rail thin athletes and try to teach them basketball. We don't need to teach him how to catch the ball, and to then go immediately up with it. He likes playing back to the basket, faking, absorbing contact. This is a lunchpail guy, and I hope that Mamadou is similar, but he's smaller
I mean I'm happy we got a guy that was on our radar of course. He seems to have some good skills(setting screens, positional defense) but noticed that the rankings in general for UCONN recruits are trending downwards. Not saying these guys can't be good but I prefer to have a couple top 50 or top 75 guys on the team too. I mean we have always done this on the football side and you can see where that is really can be hit or miss for the most part. I mean recruiting isn't an exact science but normally guys that are ranked in the top 50 tend to have a better chance of making an impact on the college game.

I guess this UCONN's new reality.

Reaction Score
I mean I'm happy we got a guy that was on our radar of course. He seems to have some good skills(setting screens, positional defense) but noticed that the rankings in general for UCONN recruits are trending downwards. Not saying these guys can't be good but I prefer to have a couple top 50 or top 75 guys on the team too. I mean we have always done this on the football side and you can see where that is really can be hit or miss for the most part. I mean recruiting isn't an exact science but normally guys that are ranked in the top 50 tend to have a better chance of making an impact on the college game.

You're not wrong. Higher ranked recruits are more likely to be successful-that's just a fact.

But we also have two assistants (killings and chill) who are known for finding undrerranked players.

And what is complaining about recruit rankings going to do anyways? Who cares. Just have fun with it is what I tell myself every day, before I yell at a stranger on the internet over something trivial =P

Reaction Score

We currently have the #1 AAC and #26 overall recruiting class for '18. If you hypothetically add in a player ranked similar to Sid Wilson (#88 in the class and .9525 247 composite score) our '18 class jumps up to #10 overall. We are doing more than fine.

Reaction Score

Akinjo outplayed those top 75-50 recruits at peach jam and won MVP. Sid Wilson was in the top 75 but he reclassed. But now since he won't play until next year anyway he's essentially a top 75 recruit. EMJ is rising and you can expect Kisunas to as well

Reaction Score
Well at least KO understands most of the big names aren't going to come here at the present condition we are in (record, conference and uncertainty of the coach). KO is spreading a wider net to get the guys he can and who want to play at UCONN. I do agree this is a lot better than missing on all our targets since we were concentrating on the top 100 guys and then having to scramble to put together a roster like this past off season.

What an As# ...

Reaction Score
The theme of our 2018 class so far is SKILL and TOUGHNESS. I Love It!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Niceee, good pickup by the staff

Who's down for Boneyard road trips to Brewster to watch this beast??

Reaction Score
We currently have the #1 AAC and #26 overall recruiting class for '18. If you hypothetically add in a player ranked similar to Sid Wilson (#88 in the class and .9525 247 composite score) our '18 class jumps up to #10 overall. We are doing more than fine.

^^ THIS

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Good size, decent footwork and motor. Quick (decisive) to the basket. Looks for the outlet pass off of defensive rebound. What's not to like?

Reaction Score

I wouldn't worry about it much. Akinjo was MVP of the peach jam and is definitely on the come up, I'm really high on Matthews future and Kisunas looks like a contributor right away. With how things were going we are in a pretty good place right now and it affords the staff the opportunity to hone in on some top 2019 kids and swing for the fences.

Reaction Score

I am not worried about rankings because we got him so early that tells me that the coaches aren't settling for him because it is close to the deadline, like they did with players like Lubin. If they are taking him this early it means they think he will be a contributor and there is no need to wait for someone better to come along. Also the fact that he is from a foreign country and has only been here for a year(?) may have an averse effect on his ranking. His unselfish European style of play may also bring down his rankings since he seems more interested in the team winning then showcasing his talents.

Reaction Score
Watching him on the tape there is nothing flashy, but he has great size , knows how to use it, with good touch and hands around the rim. Usually we see him as an opponent on MSU or Wisconsin. Very excited to have him.

Reaction Score
Niceee, good pickup by the staff

Who's down for Boneyard road trips to Brewster to watch this beast??
Wow, I figured as a Bostonian it wouldn't be a long trip, but yikers!!!

How about somebody goes and just periscopes the games?

Reaction Score
Like I said I'm not saying these are bad recruits. I'm just saying our level has fallen from the top 10 team recruiting status we had prior. It is fine because we are in the AAC and have been very mediocre program the last few years. It would be nice if we could get that top 75 guy like Carey to complete the class. I would feel a lot better about our recruiting even though I agree it is better than the reaches we had this past off season.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I guess recruiting has really changed when we are excited by composite recruiting number 101, 173 and 303 joining us. It sucks we aren't even sniffing the top 50 recruits. I know these guys fit a role on the team but these aren't the normal recruits we were getting even when we got DHAM, Adams and Gilbert.

Short answer - yes.

Longer answer - we needed a year like this. I know people like to pretend all was well last year, but not nearly enough effort was put into recruiting and we lost a lot of ground with those two classes. This is a good catch-up class of four-year foundation players. They'll need to add better talent in 2019 and now they're free to start recruiting that class while also keeping tabs on anything that might shake loose from another program.

Reaction Score
Does it matter where Jackson, Enoch, Durham, and MAL were ranked as recruits?

We need guys that want to be here, want to work hard and get better.

If that's not enough, consider some of the other offers our recent recruits have had.

I think the concern/complaint is that the highly-ranked guys don't want to be here.

Yes, KO is doing the right thing to grab hard-working, enthusiastic, probably-underrated guys with so-so rankings, rather than buying the hype of a well-rated guy like Enoch who clearly never had it going on between the ears.

The question is: why does it have to be either/or? There's no reason we can't get guys who are both high-character, high-IQ, hard-working, and are also unequivocally considered to be top (yes, highly-ranked) talent.

Reaction Score
Short answer - yes.

Longer answer - we needed a year like this. I know people like to pretend all was well last year, but not nearly enough effort was put into recruiting and we lost a lot of ground with those two classes. This is a good catch-up class of four-year foundation players. They'll need to add better talent in 2019 and now they're free to start recruiting that class while also keeping tabs on anything that might shake loose from another program.
You never know but Matthews and Wilson could be gone before 4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom