Lukas Kisunas Commits to UConn | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Lukas Kisunas Commits to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Jake would average 14 and 10 in the American.
The one thing I do like from watching the video is LK seems to do quite well in the pick and rolls which JV became very adept at when he was a senior at UCONN. Sure beats AB being thrown to the floor when trying to pick someone. LOL!

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I guess recruiting has really changed when we are excited by composite recruiting number 101, 173 and 303 joining us. It sucks we aren't even sniffing the top 50 recruits. I know these guys fit a role on the team but these aren't the normal recruits we were getting even when we got DHAM, Adams and Gilbert.

College players > 1 & done. We are recruiting for college basketball not to be used for the minor leagues of the NBA.

Reaction Score
Anyone know how his production was for the Playaz?

Did he play with Jalen Carey?

Reaction Score
One of the articles I read said he had other offers from Illinois, Pitt, Purdue and Creighton. Sign this guy up! Set screens, box out, rebound,play defense and put in the garbage. Then as he develops he will be a very nice player for us offensively in time. 4 commitments in the last 30+ days!

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
images

Reaction Score
Surround this kid with a couple good ballhandlers and a shooter or two and this is how you win. You need a guy who does the dirty work and doesn't need to score 15 ppg. Look at what Voskuhl did for the team.

Seems Ollie has stopped chasing the rankings (which is what I think drove his recruiting previously) and is specifically targeting recruits who have a very good work ethic and a good attitude. I like it. You obviously need talent but I think the attitude and work ethic is just as important. We'll see if it ends up working out.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
Great! I've noticed a completely different recruiting strategy from the staff. Getting the solid, impactful, 4-year guys in the fall instead of holding out for bigger fish in the spring and having these guys commit elsewhere (see David Beatty). We're also going for the thicker, more fundamentally sound guys than the taller, athletic, more raw guys. I like the switch. It's also interesting that this is the first white guy that KO has ever had commit. That means nothing but just an interesting tid-bit.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I know we need to get the official mausurements from @mauconnfan, but just FYI this kid seems to be bigger than what he's generally listed as at the recruiting sites:

Of course, Brewster might be lying (I certainly would if I was in their shoes). But he's definitely not undersized for a college center.

Reaction Score
Does it matter where Jackson, Enoch, Durham, and MAL were ranked as recruits?

We need guys that want to be here, want to work hard and get better.

If that's not enough, consider some of the other offers our recent recruits have had.

Reaction Score
OMG man. This fn awesome! Outstanding effort by coaching staff to build Uconn program momentum, identify and land the players we want. Congratulations to Lukas Kisunas and Uconn Nation. I am psyched at all things that are happening. All these good players, coaching staff hirings, and cap it all off with A Lithuanian center that has low post shills and is a team oriented player. BLEED BLUE!!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Seriously, you people who come when we get a commit and just shout "really, we're getting excited for a #X ranked player??"

Do you watch basketball or do you play a fantasy college basketball recruiting game with your friends? Like, watch the tape, see what the guy can do rather than reading his ranking and reacting...

This guy brings something I feel like we've almost never had. Ed Nelson was supposed to bring it, but he was too small, and liked to up fake too much. I would bet good money this kid is drafted into the NBA, he might be pick #50 but drafted is drafted

Reaction Score
2018 is looking like such a solid class.

Peach Jam MVP at point guard in James Akinjo
Effective, long, and potentially under-rated wing in Emmitt Matthews Jr.
Tough, disciplined, and intelligent big man in Lukas Kisunas
+ Sidney Wilson coming off a year of going against Terry Larrier every day in practice

All of them clearly want to be here too.

This sets us up to start shooting for the stars in 2019.

Reaction Score
Seriously, you people who come when we get a commit and just shout "really, we're getting excited for a #X ranked player??"

Do you watch basketball or do you play a fantasy college basketball recruiting game with your friends? Like, watch the tape, see what the guy can do rather than reading his ranking and reacting...

This guy brings something I feel like we've almost never had. Ed Nelson was supposed to bring it, but he was too small, and liked to up fake too much. I would bet good money this kid is drafted into the NBA, he might be pick #50 but drafted is drafted
Of course I watch basketball. I have watched UCONN bball since the late 70's. He would fit in great with those teams. LOL! Seriously it is good pickup as it fit our needs but I make a valid statement to bring up is that his ranking is really low and this isn't the type of recruit we normally shoot for at UCONN. I understand due to current situation this is a great get but it still stings that we can't even scratch the surface of top 50 ranked players like Ignas Brazdeikis who we were interested in.

NBA drafted? Wow that is being positive. I haven't seen him play but from the videos I can can see his upside being a solid college basketball player. He doesn't have offensive talent(outside shot or athletic ability) to make any NBA draft board presently.

Reaction Score
McDermott was trying hard to get Lukas to Creighton. Always enjoyable to see another NBE school rejected.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Watching the video I was expecting to witness an almost unheard of no dunk mix tape but he got one very late. Even when he's uncontested under the rim he lays it in. Guys are gonna send that back in his face if he doesn't go hard. I expect he'll make that adjustment once he starts practicing at UCONN.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I'm very happy with our 2018 class - 4 really solid-looking gets to give us a nice foundation. That should allow us to swing for the fences in 2019.

Also, who was the last great screener we had?
Nolan.

Reaction Score
Anyone know how his production was for the Playaz?

Did he play with Jalen Carey?
Carey played for New Jersey Playaz whereas Kisunas played for New England Playaz. New Jersey Playaz are an elite Nike EYBL program whereas New England Playaz are part of the Adidas circuit and have less pedigree but put up a nice showing this past summer.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I know we need to get the official mausurements from @mauconnfan, but just FYI this kid seems to be bigger than what he's generally listed as at the recruiting sites:

Of course, Brewster might be lying (I certainly would if I was in their shoes). But he's definitely not undersized for a college center.

That coach certainly likes him a lot.:cool:

Reaction Score
Does it matter where Jackson, Enoch, Durham, and MAL were ranked as recruits?

We need guys that want to be here, want to work hard and get better.

If that's not enough, consider some of the other offers our recent recruits have had.
well said

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Watching the video I was expecting to witness an almost unheard of no dunk mix tape but he got one very late. Even when he's uncontested under the rim he lays it in. Guys are gonna send that back in his face if he doesn't go hard. I expect he'll make that adjustment once he starts practicing at UCONN.
I thought the same thing. Watch the second video. He dunks WAY more.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Nolan.
Nolan was a one-dimensional screener. That dimension was that he was good at setting screens to get our shooters free, but he was terrible at setting screens for the pick and roll. This kid appears to be excellent at both, and he's certainly played, at Brewster, in a system where he's played a lot of pick and roll.

Reaction Score
I don't know how anyone that has watched UConn basketball over the past few years could have anything negative to say about this commitment.

For years we have been b*tching about needing toughness down low, and that is exactly what he brings.

As for rankings (which don't mean a ton), yes he is in the 200-300 range, but he is the 25th ranked center according to 247. Centers are hard to come by these days. Additionally, how many of those other 24 centers want to be finesse back to the basket scorers and are probably string beans? I'd guess a decent amount of them. And this is the opposite of what we need. Our scoring will continue to be led by our guards and wings. We need guys down low that can pick and roll and throw the body around.

PS - he just looks like the type of guy that typically goes to some smaller school like Bucknell or something and averages a double double. Then when he makes it to the tourney and plays out of his mind all of the high majors ask themselves "how did everyone miss on this guy?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom