Lukas Kisunas Commits to UConn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Lukas Kisunas Commits to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
I guess recruiting has really changed when we are excited by composite recruiting number 101, 173 and 303 joining us. It sucks we aren't even sniffing the top 50 recruits. I know these guys fit a role on the team but these aren't the normal recruits we were getting even when we got DHAM.

You're reading too much into rankings. Many low ranked recruits turn into talented players with development. Sid Wilson would have been top 50 in this class too if he didn't reclassify. We are ok, this class is solid. Although I think everybody recognizes next year is a big recruiting year. Need some big tuna, but a solid class and a solid season this year will help that.

Reaction Score

Elite level screener?!?!?

In a guard-centric PnR offense, this is huge.

heart_shaped_basketball_sticker-r0ba161b95cad40b6bc2cfb92d438acec_v9w0n_8byvr_540.jpg

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
You're reading too much into rankings. Many low ranked recruits turn into talented players with development. Sid Wilson would have been top 50 in this class too if he didn't reclassify. We are ok, this class is solid. Although I think everybody recognizes next year is a big recruiting year. Need some big tuna, but a solid class and a solid season this year will help that.
Right now Big Tuna are Led Zeppelin. Let's hope the coaches see something in these players that the recruiting services miss. Very few people will believe there was underhandedness with these recruits.

Reaction Score
I understand what you mean but all the bigger recruits we are missing on like CR and IB. It would be nice to see JC pick us as it would show we still have some name recognition with the bigger recruits. I mean I understand rankings aren't an exact science but it was nice when are worst recruits were around the early 100s and not our best.

Reaction Score
In the video's he is always getting those passes which the guard is squeezing through defenders while he is rolling and from there he shows great hands as well as quick to transition them to score the ball. Pretty good feet on D and can block a shot or 2 as well. He looks tough and is always moving to the basket to look for the ball, seems to really understand his spot on the floor, that's huge. Gonna be a real good one I think, very very happy with this get something we've needed for a while.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I guess recruiting has really changed when we are excited by composite recruiting number 101, 173 and 303 joining us. It sucks we aren't even sniffing the top 50 recruits. I know these guys fit a role on the team but these aren't the normal recruits we were getting even when we got DHAM, Adams and Gilbert.

Did you say this when we got that guy with the funny African name who was rated a few spots behind Craig Forth?

Recruiting success is not just getting guys in the top-50. It's about getting guys who should be in the top-5o or will be in the top-50 when all is said and done.

I get what you're saying, obviously, but we are rebuilding, and we want to take kids who are excited to play for UConn. We seem to have taken a lot of kids with talent but not much sense of loyalty or commitment.

Also, why did you say this earlier? "Great get by KO to have a big man with some proven skills around the basket."

So you're excited but you're upset that you're excited?

Reaction Score
In the video's he is always getting those passes which the guard is squeezing through defenders while he is rolling and from there he shows great hands as well as quick to transition them to score the ball. Pretty good feet on D and can block a shot or 2 as well. He looks tough and is always moving to the basket to look for the ball, seems to really understand his spot on the floor, that's huge. Gonna be a real good one I think, very very happy with this get something we've needed for a while.
I guess if he turns into a Jake Voskul type this is a great pickup.

Reaction Score
I don't want to be around for a day when we don't happily welcome a recruit choosing to play for UConn, regardless of his ranking.
Couldn't agree more..welcome to UConn Lukas! If Ollie and his staff saw something they really liked in this guy, I really don't care what the rating services are saying, whether it was last year's higher ranking or this year's. He fits into our front court very well...different type of player than what we have. Ollie's changed focus and is recruiting a diversity of skill sets in our players. Not only will it make us a stronger team...but more successful and fun to watch too! Can't wait!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Did you say this when we got that guy with the funny African name who was rated a few spots behind Craig Forth?

Recruiting success is not just getting guys in the top-50. It's about getting guys who should be in the top-5o or will be in the top-50 when all is said and done.

I get what you're saying, obviously, but we are rebuilding, and we want to take kids who are excited to play for UConn. We seem to have taken a lot of kids with talent but not much sense of loyalty or commitment.
Well at least KO understands most of the big names aren't going to come here at the present condition we are in (record, conference and uncertainty of the coach). KO is spreading a wider net to get the guys he can and who want to play at UCONN. I do agree this is a lot better than missing on all our targets since we were concentrating on the top 100 guys and then having to scramble to put together a roster like this past off season.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
WELCOME LUKAS
IMHO it is a great recruit - the type of player many of us have been yearning for but have, as of late, avoided UConn.
Lukas please don't read into what 3rdbass is saying - I don't care where any recruit is ranked - if they fill an important void - I'm all for it.

Reaction Score
He will come in way ahead of Jake in most parts of the game, especially offensively. Huge Jake fan here and I expect this will become even better if he gets 3-4 years. But just having "a Jake" would also be fine and much needed.
Remember Jake actually had a little bit of an offensive game which he developed in the NBA. If he ends of better than JV than we would have a great player.

Reaction Score
"From the first day I met Coach (Raphael) Chillious and Coach Ollie and the staff, I just got their vision of what they thought about me, and where the program is going," said Kisunas. "Also I loved the campus and the facilities there. It just felt like home for me."

Beyond that Kisunas liked what the coaches sold him about style of play and his ability to get early minutes.

"They told me that while I would have to come in and compete and earn my minutes, that I could start right away," said Kisunas. "I plan to play right away, and they have a vision for me working hard and potentially becoming a pro."

Connecticut lands Lukas Kisunas

Reaction Score
Well at least KO understands most of the big names aren't going to come here at the present condition we are in (record, conference and uncertainty of the coach). KO is spreading a wider net to get the guys he can and who want to play at UCONN. I do agree this is a lot better than missing on all our targets since we were concentrating on the top 100 guys and then having to scramble to put together a roster like this past off season.

I guess when you watch a kid like this it makes you think of all the big guys you've seen during the years which teams like Butler, Creigton, BYU and alike have had which we wish we could get. Kids that really understand the game, play around the basket with skill and like they own the paint. This hopefully is the guy from the other conference who you tune into one night and say, damn he's a nice player we could use him.

If this kid pans out, you get a kid who will do the dirty work and be here probably 4 years. Much better than that kid with his eye on the NBA for me at least.

Not that he doesn't or shouldn't he could easily grow to an NBA player.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
WELCOME LUKAS
IMHO it is a great recruit - the type of player many of us have been yearning for but have, as of late, avoided UConn.
Lukas please don't read into what 3rdbass is saying - I don't care where any recruit is ranked - if they fill an important void - I'm all for it.
It is fine to question a recruit coming on board that is ranked quite low in the rankings. I mean other boards do that. I mean welcome aboard big guy and I hope he proves his rankings wrong.

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
I would read into the ratings in February/May, once some adjustments have been made. All players will rise.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I don't want to be around for a day when we don't happily welcome a recruit choosing to play for UConn, regardless of his ranking.
I don't want rankings, I want players. This big guy is a player. Plays hard, knows his way around the paint, finishes through contact, uses both hands. They can't all be high flying wings and guards. It's true, he won't be an elite shot blocker. And I hope he can learn to defend the paint without fouling. But we've been damaged the last couple of years by bigs who knew how to handle themselves inside and could draw fouls, fake our elite shot blocker, and finish against us. It would be great to be able to do that against other teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom