LSU basketball 2022, Part II | Page 4 | The Boneyard

LSU basketball 2022, Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Wow. Her perspective after a tough loss isn't something I've seen from her before? Talking about all the good this year for the players, the team, the school, and being "content" as to how far they got. Content with respect to pre-season expectations, the hill climbed from last year. Some nice props to OSU.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Wow. Her perspective after a tough loss isn't something I've seen from her before? Talking about all the good this year for the players, the team, the school, and being "content" as to how far they got. Content with respect to pre-season expectations, the hill climbed from last year. Some nice props to OSU.
I thought it was odd when the moderator indicated there would be no opening statement from Mulkey, and they went straight to questions directed at the players. Later she stated she lost her voice (not because of yelling), but she talked as much as normal . . . :p

Reaction Score
I thought it was odd when the moderator indicated there would be no opening statement from Mulkey, and they went straight to questions directed at the players. Later she stated she lost her voice (not because of yelling), but she talked as much as normal . . . :p
She never makes opening statements. I can’t recall a single press conference this year where she made one. She generally just does questions.

Reaction Score
We are all disappointed last night but we lose track in the moment how far this team and program have come in the last year

-Went from 9 wins to 25 wins in the regular season (largest turnaround in SEC history)
-Finished 2nd in the SEC, their best finish in over 15 years
-Played themselves into the top 10 for the first time since 2007
-Won their first NCAAT game in over 8 years
-Top 5 in attendance this season, the attendance this year was greater than the last 4 seasons combined

There is no question the community really got behind this team and the team put together a very special season for the fans. This team was very very limited but did the best they can and there is no shame in falling short. We all knew this was going to be a process but what they did this year rejuvenated this program and has now drawn the interest back into the program.

The seniors will be heavily missed. Pointer is not replaceable but I’m excited to see what the future holds once they start bringing in their players. They have a great class coming in but I will be interested to see what they can do in the portal.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
1647967474423.png
1647967601199.png

Like or not, Kim doesn't hold back. That, to me, is the face of someone who had even more loathing for her prior institution's AD than she ever let on and is thrilled as can be to be where she is now, win or lose. (That, or I want some of whatever back medication she's on, because she looks so much dang happier than she did the last few years at Baylor.)

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
She never makes opening statements. I can’t recall a single press conference this year where she made one. She generally just does questions.
The only reason I noticed that is because all other post-game press conferences I've viewed this weekend started with the moderator asking the head coach to begin with an opening statement. Saw that for the sub-regionals at Baylor, Oklahoma, and Texas, IIRC. Figured it was NCAA protocol; guess it's optional and Mulkey declined to begin with an opening statement.

Moderator clearly stated that McGuff would bypass making an opening statement:

Reaction Score
No opening stmt is how she has handled every press conference.

Reaction Score
View attachment 74740 View attachment 74741
Like or not, Kim doesn't hold back. That, to me, is the face of someone who had even more loathing for her prior institution's AD than she ever let on and is thrilled as can be to be where she is now, win or lose. (That, or I want some of whatever back medication she's on, because she looks so much dang happier than she did the last few years at Baylor.)
HA

Kim isn't the one that needs to be motivated, she simply loves to compete and win. But having following her for years (10+), something seemed different this year. It felt internally she was rejuvenated a bit coaching this team this year. Maybe its the excitement of starting from the ground up again and how the season all unfolded but she seemed happier. I'm sure everything felt like a fairy tale this year to the team. All they wanted to do was make the NCAAT and that got to do that and some.

Reaction Score
View attachment 74740 View attachment 74741
Yes. Kim leaving Baylor was definitely good for both her and Baylor.

Reaction Score
He was when he was at LSU but probably more X’s and Os
He has a reputation as an excellent coach. I think he is defensive minded from what I've heard. Kind of hate it for Johnnie Harris at Auburn, but I imagine LSU was able to pay coach Starkey more, and he has been around a long time. Good for him if he can cash in a bit.

Reaction Score
He has a reputation as an excellent coach. I think he is defensive minded from what I've heard. Kind of hate it for Johnnie Harris at Auburn, but I imagine LSU was able to pay coach Starkey more, and he has been around a long time. Good for him if he can cash in a bit.
Well maybe he can fix the defense, LSU's defense was god awful this past season. I think he will be a great addition. He was very good assistant while at LSU before. Quite frankly I think Nikki should have kept him when she was originally hired but I get all coaches want their own people.

He is definitely making his rounds in the SEC. A&M, Auburn and now LSU the last 3 years.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Well maybe he can fix the defense, LSU's defense was god awful this past season. I think he will be a great addition. He was very good assistant while at LSU before. Quite frankly I think Nikki should have kept him when she was originally hired but I get all coaches want their own people.

He is definitely making his rounds in the SEC. A&M, Auburn and now LSU the last 3 years.

Starkey was the unsung hero from the 2007 mess when he took over the team after Pokey's scandal, and got them to a Final Four in grand fashion, blowing out #1 seed UCONN in the regionals to get there.

Reaction Score
Starkey was the unsung hero from the 2007 mess when he took over the team after Pokey's scandal, and got them to a Final Four in grand fashion, blowing out #1 seed UCONN in the regionals to get there.
ratio3x2_1800.jpg

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Last coach to prevent UConn from reaching a Final Four. Fifteen whole years ago now. Nothing to shake a stick at.

Reaction Score
Ajae Petty just hit the portal.
She actually showed a lot of promise, but if the commits Kim said she had were post players, she likely would have been behind the depth chart for another year.

Likely not the last one to leave as well. The holdings on the releases sorta makes me think they miscalculated how many would leave…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom