LSU basketball 2022, Part II | Page 2 | The Boneyard

LSU basketball 2022, Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Screen Shot 2022-02-28 at 4.43.29 PM.png

Its pretty interesting comparing the stats this year to last.

Adding Morris has been the major difference but to Nikki's credit, she Brought in Autumn which has really helped this team on the board.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
View attachment 73871

Adding Morris has been the major difference but to Nikki's credit, she Brought in Autumn which has really helped this
View attachment 73871

Adding Morris has been the major difference but to Nikki's credit, she Brought in Autumn which has really helped this team on the board.
Interestingly, I don't think Nikki or Mulkey actively recruited either Newby or Morris. We got lucky with both. Morris took the initiative to follow Mulkey and Nikki knew Newby through KP. If KP doesn't stay, unlikely Newby comes. If you look at the individual stats of players , they all have more rebounds and less turnovers. Nikki's lack of standards is so obviously by comparison.

Mulder

In Search of One Objective Poster
Reaction Score
If Alexis Morris is 90% she'll be on the floor during the SEC Tournament.

Reaction Score
If Alexis Morris is 90% she'll be on the floor during the SEC Tournament.
Eh... I am not sure if its worth the risk. Even with a healthy Morris, we likely still arent winning the SECT. They are already projected as a 2 seed so what is the risk worth?

Reaction Score
Love Dawn and my Gamecocks but not sure how Mulkey didn’t walk away with COY on this one. Finley and Novak have also done incredible jobs but Mulkey has elevated a cellar-dweller program to top 6 in the country. Aside from a two-game slide in SEC play, LSU hardly lost all year.

She’s not everyone’s favorite, and she’s not mine, either, but she is a terrific coach who has proven herself despite having nothing left to prove. Excited to stay tuned to LSU’s continued rise.

Reaction Score
Love Dawn and my Gamecocks but not sure how Mulkey didn’t walk away with COY on this one. Finley and Novak have also done incredible jobs but Mulkey has elevated a cellar-dweller program to top 6 in the country. Aside from a two-game slide in SEC play, LSU hardly lost all year.

She’s not everyone’s favorite, and she’s not mine, either, but she is a terrific coach who has proven herself despite having nothing left to prove. Excited to stay tuned to LSU’s continued rise.
I think because she won the conference. I don't think its fair for me to say Dawn didn't deserve it, she has the #1 team in the country right now and won the SEC, but Kim has had as impressive coaching job as anyone in WBB this year. I think most people on the outside know this and it won't take away from what she has done.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
I think because she won the conference. I don't think its fair for me to say Dawn didn't deserve it, she has the #1 team in the country right now and won the SEC, but Kim has had as impressive coaching job as anyone in WBB this year. I think most people on the outside know this and it won't take away from what she has done.
I’m sorry, but Dawn did it a lot of talent that it was expected. Kim did it with ALOT less talent. Which is much more impressive.

No Way Sport GIF by NCAA Championships

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score

According to Newby & Pointer, they tried to recruit Q Morrison to transfer before this season. interesting tidbit.

Reaction Score

According to Newby & Pointer, they tried to recruit Q Morrison to transfer before this season. interesting tidbit.

That would have been nice but it also would have been really nice if they could have kept Moon Ursin

Reaction Score
I’m sorry, but Dawn did it a lot of talent that it was expected. Kim did it with ALOT less talent. Which is much more impressive.

No Way Sport GIF by NCAA Championships
Are you saying that "it was expected" for SC to beat Stanford, NC State, UConn, Maryland etc ?

Dawn swept EVERY team in the country coached by an active coach who has ever won a national championship. Geno, Tara, kim, Brenda, Gary.

I could have accepted Kim getting the award. She did a fantastic job this year. My respect for her has grown immensely, but the "it" that Dawn did is a lot more than the "it" that kim accomplished. Both were excellent accomplishments.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Are you saying that "it was expected" for SC to beat Stanford, NC State, UConn, Maryland etc ?

Dawn swept EVERY team in the country coached by an active coach who has ever won a national championship. Geno, Tara, kim, Brenda, Gary.

I could have accepted Kim getting the award. She did a fantastic job this year. My respect for her has grown immensely, but the "it" that Dawn did is a lot more than the "it" that kim accomplished. Both were excellent accomplishments.
If a team has the amount of talent that SC has, then yes I‘d expect them too.

I didn’t say that Dawn didn’t deserve to win. I’m just saying I think Kim’s job was more impressive with the roster she had. Plus it’s not a written rule that the best teams coach has to win COY. Given that UGA’s coach won the COY for a 4th place finish, just last year.

SC did great, Dawn won. We’re moving on. Good luck the rest of the way.

Reaction Score
Horrible game. But I gotta give it to Howard and Kentucky. They outplayed and out coached us.

Reaction Score
Horrible game. But I gotta give it to Howard and Kentucky. They outplayed and out coached us.
They are hot and playing well.

Disappointed by Kim's preparation and treatment of this tournament. If it didn't matter why show up to play?

Its evident in the Tennessee and Kentucky game how much Morris means to this team. Without her, LSU looks very similar to last season where it had a losing season.

Very disappointing IMO to play like that after a large amount of fans traveled for that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Disappointed by Kim's preparation and treatment of this tournament. If it didn't matter why show up to play?

Its evident in the Tennessee and Kentucky game how much Morris means to this team. Without her, LSU looks very similar to last season where it had a losing season.

Very disappointing IMO to play like that after a large amount of fans traveled for that.
It was disappointing. I do hope that's Mulkey's message to her team was different that her message to the media. I hope that the media message was posturing knowing that the last reveal had LSU as #2 seed so why wouldn't she argue that the tournament should be irrelevant to seeding and use the South Carolina example she used.
I think had LSU been on the NCAA bubble, her message would have been completely different. It's possible though that her technique backfired and her team believed her words about the value of the tournament.
I think the team is getting lots of attention that they have never received before and it will be important for Mulkey to keep them focused and not let the media and attention distract them. I think that distraction, weary legs from lots of minutes logged this season, Kentucky's good play and lack of Morris were factors as well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It was disappointing. I do hope that's Mulkey's message to her team was different that her message to the media. I hope that the media message was posturing knowing that the last reveal had LSU as #2 seed so why wouldn't she argue that the tournament should be irrelevant to seeding and use the South Carolina example she used.
I think had LSU been on the NCAA bubble, her message would have been completely different. It's possible though that her technique backfired and her team believed her words about the value of the tournament.
I think the team is getting lots of attention that they have never received before and it will be important for Mulkey to keep them focused and not let the media and attention distract them. I think that distraction, weary legs from lots of minutes logged this season, Kentucky's good play and lack of Morris were factors as well.
Mulkey made similar statements when she was at Baylor. When her team won the regular season conference championship and was set for a high tournament seeding, she resented having to play in the conference tournament: nothing to gain, plenty to lose.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Mulkey made similar statements when she was at Baylor. When her team won the regular season conference championship and was set for a high tournament seeding, she resented having to play in the conference tournament: nothing to gain, plenty to lose.
Interesting, although complaining about conference rules is somewhat worthless. There have been some coaches that talk about how conferences award automatic bids, and when it's the conf tourney that gets you in, it penalizes the teams in the perceived lower conferences that were in 1st place but then lose the conf tourney final, and they don't get into the NCAA tourney. Which now gets me thinking ... what would happen if NCAA bids were for both the regular season and tourney champ, and how many conferences have the overlap vs two distinct teams? Even Geno has said you work hard all season to win the conference and then have to deal with the conf tourney ....

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Si what happened to Morris? Will she be back for the NCAA Tournament?

Reaction Score
Si what happened to Morris? Will she be back for the NCAA Tournament?
Strained MCL. She will be good for tournament but they held her out of SECs as a precaution. We simply can’t score or do much without her. Which makes it remarkable we somehow beat TN on the road without her. Ironically the three seed got an easier matchup than the 2 seed in this tournament the way Kentucky has played lately.

Reaction Score
Strained MCL. She will be good for tournament but they held her out of SECs as a precaution. We simply can’t score or do much without her. Which makes it remarkable we somehow beat TN on the road without her. Ironically the three seed got an easier matchup than the 2 seed in this tournament the way Kentucky has played lately.
Quantifying a win over tenn as, "remarkable" is a bit of a stretch these days, don't you think?

Reaction Score
Quantifying a win over tenn as, "remarkable" is a bit of a stretch these days, don't you think?
Misunderstood what I meant…. It was more in the sense that they won that game without Morris was remarkable because LSU is a shell of itself without her in the lineup. Had nothing to do with Tennessee. They are a solid team and beating them on the road during their senior night was a very admirable performance. LSU just isn’t able to do much without a starting lineup that has Morris AND Pointer

LSU is a thin team and we certainly don’t have the horses 1-5 most other top programs have but they are doing the best they can this year

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer