OT: - Louisville and ACC | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Louisville and ACC

Reaction Score
This is exactly what happened to Michigan. The case against Ed Martin was long and drawn out and it killed our recruiting. The threat of heavy sanctions were a greater penalty than the actual sanctions themselves.
Overall, I don't think Michigan can complain. You guys are in the drivers seat, rolling in dough. I suspect the same will happen with Louisville. A year or two of punishment, but the P5 money will keep rolling in. You cannot compare whatever plight Michigan may have gone through with the screwing UConn got with conference realignment. Plus you have a great monitor as your AD now, so there are no worried for Michigan. Boo Hoo.

Last edited:

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Overall, I don't think Michigan can complain. You guys are in the drivers seat, rolling in dough. I suspect the same will happen with Louisville. A year or two of punishment, but the P5 money will keep rolling in. You cannot compare whatever plight Michigan may have gone through with the screwing UConn got with conference realignment. Plus you have a great monitor as your AD now, so there are no worried for Michigan. Boo Hoo.

If you thought I was complaining, you are sorely mistaken. Michigan deserved everything we got. Steve Fischer knew at least somewhat of what Ed Martin was doing. I was trying to say that even though the sanctions might not be all that bad, the threat of them before hand can damage a program for many years.

Reaction Score
Tom Jurich's lawyer fights back, says University of Louisville official worked on Adidas deal

Suspended University of Louisville athletic director Tom Jurich is fighting back.

Citing “disturbing and unprecedented” allegations in the FBI’s pay for play case, interim University of Louisville President Greg Postel placed Jurich on leave Monday.

Postel also cited a new grievance against Jurich — that he negotiated the recent $160 million contract extension with Adidas without “appropriate consultation with me” or the U of L Athletic Association board.

But in a letter his lawyer made public late Monday, she said Postel’s allegations about Jurich doing the deal in the dark are “simply not true.”

Attorney Alison Stemler said Jurich worked on the Adidas contract extension with several university officials, including two attorneys and Postel’s chief of staff, who in different combinations assisted him in 11 meetings.

And Stemler said Jurich “had no knowledge of, and would not have tolerated, the alleged criminal conduct.”

“The extraordinary and unprecedented alleged wrongful behavior was kept from Tom precisely because everyone in the Athletics Department knows that Tom will not tolerate any violation of law or NCAA rules,” she said in a three-page letter addressed to Postel.

“While you may feel it necessary to start over with an entirely new athletics management staff, the lack of respect being shown for Tom and his hard work for the University over all these years is regrettable,” the letter says.

The letter came as several powerful boosters and coaches on Jurich’s staff have launched a bid to save his job.

Reaction Score
If you thought I was complaining, you are sorely mistaken. Michigan deserved everything we got. Steve Fischer knew at least somewhat of what Ed Martin was doing. I was trying to say that even though the sanctions might not be all that bad, the threat of them before hand can damage a program for many years.
I agree anticipation and dragging it out do more harm
Calhoun big mistake when the sanction was announced is not to self penalize in 2012 , the year it was announced.
That team was a disaster anyway given the talent.
Our center and PF probably wiuldb’t have transferred and recruiting wouldn't have missed a beat,
The guys who left for the draft were gone anyway,
They would have had a great team in 2013 and played in the last Big East Tourney.
It would have positioned us better for re-alignment.
Calhoun’s mistake was thinking that the NCAA couldn’t make s bogus law stick and that our conference mates would actually be on our side.

Reaction Score
So we need to start a GoFundMe page to pay for a detective to look into the UL football program. That could be money well spent.

You mean his cheating ways, acquiring 3 and 4 star athletes? UofL's best recruiting year ever was ranked #25 in the country. Petrino's last year's ranking was #35. His 2004 class which produced 13 NFL players and was ranked as #9 in the post-dated ranks following their matriculation, came in at a rosy old #57th when they signed.

Strong graduated 94 of his 97 recruits. In 2014 UofL and Stanford were the only two universities with perfect APR's.

You will diss the university's academics as is your wont, of course. Louisville made the move from a community-based university to the more exotic climes 20 years ago and the typical ACT score has also increased to 26, up from 22. UConn's is a very impressive 30, which ranks them in the top ten percentile. But it is also obvious that Louisville has made enormous progress, even if some fans object to ignoring the locals as an urban university. Both are worthy ideals.

The only thing I will say about the overall scandals is that I have conspiratorial sensations about it all. The huge negativity UofL provides to the Flagship state school, passing them up in so many sports and transforming the campus itself into a more lovely campus, the incredible alumni fan base who just recently funded the $55 Million football stadium expansion with another 10,000 seats was done with zero contributions from the state. This enviable situation drives them wild.

Hiring an award winning author to address what began as parties for players by a furtive little POS assistant, involving a total expenditure whose high side is 5K over 5 years, is the sum of a scandal which eventually became such a cause celebre' in Connecticut @ ESPN headquarters, to say nothing of the ABC hook up with The View, lol and lovely Katrina's world tour, her new Escalade and the daughter who was arrested last month for hooking...... I understand we have almost always taken a chip on the shoulder routine in getting ourselves established in sports other than hoops and I imagine our various opponents don't much care for that. In a sense, almost all of this can be expected under the current circumstances. Pitino was undone by assistants, which is downright odd seeing as how he is the cosmic cradle of some 30 successful college head coaches and 5 NBA coaches over time. He won a championship with a 2 star All American, some transfers, a 5' 10" football player, a center Goodman laughed at Louisville for for caring that he became eligible, and a couple of legit 5 stars, one of whom landed on our doorstep as completely damaged goods. That he would consider finally buckling under and acquiring players like this is beyond my realm of comprehension. With the team he had coming back he is a title contender. They will be extremely good this season, led by 2 locals, an Egyptian, a potential all american Sudanese and the usual 20-50-ranked prospects and one project - business as usual. I understand why he was let go, not that I necessarily agree with that because of the quaint subject of due process. But the fans don't want him either now.

No one has ever done what Jurich has done at Louisville. Not anywhere at any time. He is responsible for billions of dollars to come. The "shenanigans" in his contract - like those of Pitino's - all result in methods of payment. Jurich;s salary ends up being $2.8 million a year, with the big number added which was a 12 year old matured annuity. The fact that Calipari makes more than both of them out together is somehow left out, although he is paid in the exact same manner and in the same state. The entire mess right now is in a dysfunctional BOTrustees who are led by a careerist with no vision or care of what is best for UofL and a sychophant who wants the President job so bad he can taste it.

Reaction Score
You mean his cheating ways, acquiring 3 and 4 star athletes? UofL's best recruiting year ever was ranked #25 in the country. Petrino's last year's ranking was #35. His 2004 class which produced 13 NFL players and was ranked as #9 in the post-dated ranks following their matriculation, came in at a rosy old #57th when they signed.

Strong graduated 94 of his 97 recruits. In 2014 UofL and Stanford were the only two universities with perfect APR's.

You will diss the university's academics as is your wont, of course. Louisville made the move from a community-based university to the more exotic climes 20 years ago and the typical ACT score has also increased to 26, up from 22. UConn's is a very impressive 30, which ranks them in the top ten percentile. But it is also obvious that Louisville has made enormous progress, even if some fans object to ignoring the locals as an urban university. Both are worthy ideals.

The only thing I will say about the overall scandals is that I have conspiratorial sensations about it all. The huge negativity UofL provides to the Flagship state school, passing them up in so many sports and transforming the campus itself into a more lovely campus, the incredible alumni fan base who just recently funded the $55 Million football stadium expansion with another 10,000 seats was done with zero contributions from the state. This enviable situation drives them wild.

Hiring an award winning author to address what began as parties for players by a furtive little POS assistant, involving a total expenditure whose high side is 5K over 5 years, is the sum of a scandal which eventually became such a cause celebre' in Connecticut @ ESPN headquarters, to say nothing of the ABC hook up with The View, lol and lovely Katrina's world tour, her new Escalade and the daughter who was arrested last month for hooking. I understand we have almost always taken a chip on the shoulder routine in getting ourselves established in sports other than hoops and I imagine our various opponents don't much care for that. In a sense, almost all of this can be expected under the current circumstances. Pitino was undone by assistants, which is downright odd seeing as how he is the cosmic cradle of some 30 successful college head coaches and 5 NBA coaches over time. He won a championship with a 2 star All American, some transfers, a 5' 10" football player, a center Goodman laughed at Louisville for for caring that he became eligible, and a couple of legit 5 stars, one of whom landed on our doorstep as completely damaged goods. That he would consider finally buckling under and acquiring players like this is beyond my realm of comprehension. With the team he had coming back he is a title contender. They will be extremely good this season, led by 2 locals, an Egyptian, a potential all american Sudanese and the usual 20-50-ranked prospects and one project - business as usual. I understand why he was let go, not that I necessarily agree with that because of the quaint subject of due process. But the fans don't want him either now.

No one has ever done what Jurich has done at Louisville. Not anywhere at any time. He is responsible for billions of dollars to come. The "shenanigans" in his contract - like those of Pitino's - all result in methods of payment. Jurich;s salary ends up being $2.8 million a year, with the big number added which was a 12 year old matured annuity. The fact that Calipari makes more than both of them out together is somehow left out, although he is paid in the exact same manner and in the same state. The entire mess right now is in a dysfunctional BOTrustees who are led by a careerist with no vision or care of what is best for UofL and a sychophant who wants the President job so bad he can taste it.
Too bad you left out Jurich’s scamming the taxpayers with his Yum Center Deal....

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
You do realize I was replying in jest to someone that said UL survives this mess unless football gets involved too, right?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Hiring an award winning author to address what began as parties for players by a furtive little POS assistant, involving a total expenditure whose high side is 5K over 5 years, is the sum of a scandal which eventually became such a cause celebre' in Connecticut @ ESPN headquarters, to say nothing of the ABC hook up with The View, lol and lovely Katrina's world tour, her new Escalade and the daughter who was arrested last month for hooking. I understand we have almost always taken a chip on the shoulder routine in getting ourselves established in sports other than hoops and I imagine our various opponents don't much care for that. In a sense, almost all of this can be expected under the current circumstances. Pitino was undone by assistants, which is downright odd seeing as how he is the cosmic cradle of some 30 successful college head coaches and 5 NBA coaches over time. He won a championship with a 2 star All American, some transfers, a 5' 10" football player, a center Goodman laughed at Louisville for for caring that he became eligible, and a couple of legit 5 stars, one of whom landed on our doorstep as completely damaged goods. That he would consider finally buckling under and acquiring players like this is beyond my realm of comprehension. With the team he had coming back he is a title contender. They will be extremely good this season, led by 2 locals, an Egyptian, a potential all american Sudanese and the usual 20-50-ranked prospects and one project - business as usual. I understand why he was let go, not that I necessarily agree with that because of the quaint subject of due process. But the fans don't want him either now.

Feeling the heat a bit @Senore?

At the end of the day Louisville was caught on tape by the FBI arranging for $100,000 bribe for a recruit to join their program while on probation for paying for sex for their athletes and for recruits. That was in Jurich's athletic department.

The fleecing of the taxpayers in the YUM Center deal, isn't really something to be proud of either. Jurich has written his legacy. He'll have to live with it. So when you say "No one has ever done what Jurich has done at Louisville. Not anywhere at any time," I'm inclined to agree.

Reaction Score
He got them into the ACC. That is all that really matters.

Reaction Score
Louisville won't be booted from the ACC. The conference needs a program dirtier than NC, Miami, and FSU. They also need a school that is worse academically than FSU.

Reaction Score
It actually seemed for awhile Louisville used the Burger King model for recruiting .
They let McDonalds do the site surveys on store location then built a store next to the McDonalds. It’s a money saver for sure. This also frees up a bunch of cash for other uses
It seemed Louisville would not be on a player until someone like UConn who had done their homework on a kid got interested, I don't have a problem with this unless somehow cash was involved in that recruitment.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

I think this is a little nuts.

At some point, you have to recognize that your university has a massive ethical problem. It's just not an honest group of people.

The University of Kentucky did not set in motion the Federal Bureau of Investigations.

If anything, watching UK basketball probably helped drive Pitino further down the rabbit hole.

Reaction Score
Likely that FSU pushed hard for Louisville to the ACC because they want to make sure they were not the most corrupt program in the conference.

I doubt that Louisville's QB stole any seafood from Publix...(since Publix is not in Kentucky), so I'll give Louisville credit for that!!

Reaction Score
At some point, you have to recognize that your university has a massive ethical problem. It's just not an honest group of people.

Here's your sign:
louisville-core-values-no-guns-drugs-570x760.jpg

Reaction Score
Here's your sign:
louisville-core-values-no-guns-drugs-570x760.jpg

Louisville players have to be constantly reminded not to steal or have guns on them? What kind of thugs do they recruit? I'd love to see what the boards on the Miami and FSU locker room and football offices look like.

dayooper

Reaction Score
Louisville players have to be constantly reminded not to steal or have guns on them? What kind of thugs do they recruit? I'd love to see what the boards on the Miami and FSU locker room and football offices look like.

In the Ohio State locker room

decisions.jpg

dayooper

Reaction Score
This really does bug me. Kids have to be reminded that this is bad?

It all depends on who you recruit. If you take kids that have questionable behaviors, you need to remind kids that what they did previously isn't acceptable.

These kids have been worshipped by adults from the time they were in 2nd grade. They have been told they are great and have been allowed to get away with just about anything. There are girls that just throw themselves at these kids and they are given breaks. They have no boundaries in what they can do. They learn that these behaviors are acceptable for them. I am, in no way excusing the behavior. These kids should know it's not acceptable and to respect other people. The adults in these kids lives don't help the issue.

Reaction Score
It all depends on who you recruit. If you take kids that have questionable behaviors, you need to remind kids that what they did previously isn't acceptable.

These kids have been worshipped by adults from the time they were in 2nd grade. They have been told they are great and have been allowed to get away with just about anything. There are girls that just throw themselves at these kids and they are given breaks. They have no boundaries in what they can do. They learn that these behaviors are acceptable for them. I am, in no way excusing the behavior. These kids should know it's not acceptable and to respect other people. The adults in these kids lives don't help the issue.
Why is a school recruiting kids that have drugs, theft, and guns in their past to begin with?

Reaction Score
I'd love to see what the boards on the Miami and FSU locker room and football offices look like.

No matter if it's heroin, cocaine, or hash
You've got to carry weapons
'Cause you always carry cash

Dji5CRE.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member