OT: - Louisville and ACC | The Boneyard

OT: Louisville and ACC

Reaction Score
Out of curiosity, could the ACC throw Louisville out of the conference if they were so inclined? I know that typically there's a buyout for universities that want to jump ship to another conference, but what happens if the conference decided Louisville is a bad fit for their future and asked them to leave? Is it even possible?

Reaction Score
The precedent would then be set for the next bad-behaving-school to be tossed, so I doubt they go down that path. Not when Carolina's day of reckoning is forthcoming.

Reaction Score
Out of curiosity, could the ACC throw Louisville out of the conference if they were so inclined? I know that typically there's a buyout for universities that want to jump ship to another conference, but what happens if the conference decided Louisville is a bad fit for their future and asked them to leave? Is it even possible?
This is from the by-laws of the ACC:

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/bc/genrel/auto_pdf/2012-13/misc_non_event/2012_13_ACC.pdf

Section IV-4. Expulsion/Suspension/Probation of Members.

A member institution may be expelled, suspended or placed on probation by the Conference only upon the favorable vote of three-fourths (excluding the member under consideration) of the members. To expel means a complete severance from the Conference in all sports. To suspend means a temporary severance under stated conditions from the Conference in one (1) or more sports.

Among the reasons a member institution may be expelled, suspended or placed on probation for good cause is if it no longer participates in one or more sports which are required for membership in the Conference or if the member is required by the NCAA to discontinue such required sport because of violations of NCAA regulations or becomes incompatible with the objectives of the Conference.

In the event of expulsion, the Conference must provide the member institution with the specific reasons for expulsion and one year notice (on or before August 15 of any year in which event the expulsion shall be effective the following June 30). The institution will be assessed or paid a proportionate share of the fixed liabilities or assets of the Conference and will receive a proportionate share of that year’s distribution.

In the event of suspension or probation, the Conference may enforce penalties immediately.

In any sport in which a member is ineligible for postseason play because of violations of NCAA or Conference regulations, the member may be suspended in that sport. If suspended, the member shall not be eligible for the Conference championship in that sport. The institution may be required to forfeit its share of any or all Conference revenues generated by that sport.

Reaction Score
Comments from Warchant: FSU guys

...Death penalty is next. If NCAA wants to have any credibility to keep up their amateur athlete myth.

...NCAA is too chicken to give out the death penalty but this deserves it.

...The NCAA always points to SMU as their example....I agree, I doubt we will ever see the DP again....but...they need to drop the hammer on UL and scUM!

....Once one of these shoe execs cops a plea I would guess there are going to be ALOT more schools implicated...this is white collar save your own ass from going to prison crime...one of these guys is going to chirp like a canary

Reaction Score

...Death penalty is next. If NCAA wants to have any credibility to keep up their amateur athlete myth.

...The NCAA always points to SMU as their example....I agree, I doubt we will ever see the DP again....but...they need to drop the hammer on UL and scUM!

....Once one of these shoe execs cops a plea I would guess there are going to be ALOT more schools implicated...this is white collar save your own ass from going to prison crime...one of these guys is going to chirp like a canary

How do you think this whole thing got started...come on it has already happened!!! By the way don't be surprised if Jurich ends up doing jail time for the Yum Center deal.

Reaction Score
While there may have been some talking to the FBI...don't you think that there will be a lot more to come?

The FBI openly saying, "it'll be far better that you call us then wait until we call you" is a clear indication that there is a press on to get more folks to talk to the feds.

Reaction Score
I think there is a good chance that the NCAA will come down very harshly on all involved schools. This is not an in-house NCAA investigation, the NCAA is likely very embarrassed that the FBI is involved.

I've heard a few sports talking heads speculate that Louisville might get the Death Penalty.

Reaction Score
While there may have been some talking to the FBI...don't you think that there will be a lot more to come?

The FBI openly saying, "it'll be far better that you call us then wait until we call you" is a clear indication that there is a press on to get more folks to talk to the feds.
Do yourself a favor and look into how the FBI started this whole thing...they had a Financial Advisor in Fraud charges..he talked, then they used agents to act as Advisors to see f they could nab any others...they hit the MOTHERLOAD!!

Reaction Score
I think there is a good chance that the NCAA will come down very harshly on all involved schools. This is not an in-house NCAA investigation, the NCAA is likely very embarrassed that the FBI is involved.

I've heard a few sports talking heads speculate that Louisville might get the Death Penalty.
I have heard the same thing today

Reaction Score
Sooo? You don't think the FBI is pressing for more info?

Get outa heah!

Reaction Score
Sooo? You don't think the FBI is pressing for more info?

Get outa heah!
WOW...you have to be kidding me...of course...but then again I'm not the one who needs to read some of the stuff thats out there before posting in this thread.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The FBI is definitely going to do its job to get more info. That's a given. And they will. This only the tip of the iceberg. One AD is gone. The other schools named have got to have very nervous ADs. Presidents of these schools are going to be held to task. There is no safe zone in this one. The charges the FBI is talking about are federal ones and can bring serious jail time in a federal prison.

The NCAA and Emmert had better keep their collective mouths shut. They were kept in the dark - not good for them. Emmert and company have little credibility as it is. If, when its time, Emmert doesn't come down hard on Louisville (death penalty) and the other schools, the NCAA as a governing body is done. All credibility will be lost. And the NCAA really has to look at a lifetime ban on coaches who break the rules/ laws. No more going scott free. Pitino should never be able to coach at an NCAA school ever again. All of the allegations fall under "institutional control." This can't be ignored.

Every school that has a shoe deal should be nervous. Someone is going to sing like a bird to save their butt. Especially if the deal is with Adidas. Other shoe manufacturers are probably scrambling right now. Again, no one is safe.

The ACC has a serious problem. Its not only Louisville, its Miami too. Miami has a history of serious problems with their athletic programs. They may decide it is in their best interests to remove Louisville = FSU, Clemson and Miami be damned. If the ACC doesn't act, it will be seen by many as a tacet acceptance of Louisville's recruiting tactics.

Reaction Score
WOW...you have to be kidding me...of course...but then again I'm not the one who needs to read some of the stuff thats out there before posting in this thread.

Maybe you need to read the post...I posted what other Nole fans posted on Warchant...and U responded as if that was my post.

Reaction Score
We all love doomsday scenarios...but I don't think there will be a nuclear wasteland...too much worry about how many programs might be out there.

More likely serious sanctions, probation...and as far as the FBI goes...,pleas and court cases and some jail time.

Reaction Score

Sounds like FSU just wants less competition since they are declining.

Reaction Score
The NCAA will try to impose the death penalty but the P5 will use this as a catylist to split from NCAA and start legally paying football and Basketball players.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

They’re going to level some schools.

Louisville will be ground zero.

There is precedent for letting schools survive a second round without the death penalty, but none of them had a second act as impressive as UL’s.

Reaction Score
I have to think that the ACC and anyone with a moral compass who supported Louisville's invitation to the ACC realized it was a horrific mistake. Even if one only cares about football or some other narrow focus must realize that their football program is obviously suspect.

Although Louisville deserves to go back to Conference USA or demoted to G5, they will not be expelled by the ACC, even if they rightfully regret inviting Louisville.

As for NCAA penalties, I don't think they receive the death penalty they deserve. They have not quite reached the same level of reckless disregard that SMU had, but they are close. If they somehow breach their current level of stupidity and pull this or some other stunt again, they will receive the death penalty. At they very least, they need to have their MBB NC vacated, ineligible for post season play for at least 3 years, and show-cause penalties for Pitino for at least ten years, and Jurich for a numbers of years pending investigations of his shady activities.

Reaction Score
I have to think that the ACC and anyone with a moral compass who supported Louisville's invitation to the ACC realized it was a horrific mistake. Even if one only cares about football or some other narrow focus must realize that their football program is obviously suspect.

Although Louisville deserves to go back to Conference USA or demoted to G5, they will not be expelled by the ACC, even if they rightfully regret inviting Louisville.

As for NCAA penalties, I don't think they receive the death penalty they deserve. They have not quite reached the same level of reckless disregard that SMU had, but they are close. If they somehow breach their current level of stupidity and pull this or some other stunt again, they will receive the death penalty. At they very least, they need to have their MBB NC vacated, ineligible for post season play for at least 3 years, and show-cause penalties for Pitino for at least ten years, and Jurich for a numbers of years pending investigations of his shady activities.

Did SMU give their players coke and prostitutes also?

Reaction Score
[

As for NCAA penalties, I don't think they receive the death penalty they deserve. They have not quite reached the same level of reckless disregard that SMU had, but they are close. If they somehow breach their current level of stupidity and pull this or some other stunt again, they will receive the death penalty. At they very least, they need to have their MBB NC vacated, ineligible for post season play for at least 3 years, and show-cause penalties for Pitino for at least ten years, and Jurich for a numbers of years pending investigations of his shady activities.[/QUOTE]

Don't underestimate the effect of a recorded conversation. Knowing schools are paying players is one thing but hearing the eventual public airing of a conversation where a UL assistant coach tells a kid he is getting a 150 k but keep it on the down low since we're on probation will force the NCAA to swing for the fences .

The NCAA was asleep at the wheel.... probably by design. The FBI investigation embarrassed them and questions whether they can govern. Nothing shows one has control like shooting a hostage. I expect the NCAA to treat Louisville like Kaiser Soze treated his family...time to make a statement and Louisville is Hiroshima.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
They’re going to level some schools.

Louisville will be ground zero.

There is precedent for letting schools survive a second round without the death penalty, but none of them had a second act as impressive as UL’s.

It is truly breathtaking.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom