OT: - Louisville and ACC | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Louisville and ACC

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Somebody is going to be the sacrifice here.

You just know Emmert is sitting by the phone waiting for a call from a "203" number.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I don't think the ACC will toss Louisville out. However, the Kentucky legislature may decide it's time for Louisville to deemphasize sports as a way to clear out the graft and corruption that infests the university.

Reaction Score
I put the odds of UL death penalty at 20%.

The odds of the ACC expelling UP at 2%.

Assuming UL doesn't fight it, and they really shouldn't. Any named players will be declared ineligible, they will lose 12 scholarships over 3 or 4 years, and get a 2 year NCAA ban in MBB.

The coaches will never coach in the NCAA again. Show cause for life.

Unless this spills over into FB, UL will survive.

All this assumes they can agree on the violations with the NCAA before March.
I think you will see the ACC come down on UL monetarily if they don't toot them...withholding any and all conference revenue from them for the length of their MBB tourney ban or a set number of years of their sanctions will hurt just as bad as being tossed.

Reaction Score
If Louisville gets the boot, the ACC can open up an application process for the open spot.

Reaction Score
For those thinking that if Louisville gets the boot from the ACC, the door swings wide open for UConn, I think Lee Corso has a, "Not so fast, my friend," for you.

Notre Dame, with their 5 game ACC guarantee, is just sitting there and there is no reason to believe certain carve outs, exemptions, and inclusions can't be written into a membership agreement amendment. They already have.

Maybe I'm wrong (won't be the first time, won't be the last), but "let's not start sucking ea...just yet."

That said, I would love an invite from the Big Ten, personally, but a seat at the 3rd most stable P5 conference would be a nice consolation.
Ill take any except B12

Reaction Score
"The ACC has never dumped a member, but if ever a case warranted strong consideration, this is it."

Written by one of the big ACC writers out there David Teel. I don't think anyone knows how this plays out. If the cries call louder and this gets worse I don't think the ACC would hesitate to save face. The case Teel layed out is already damning enough.

ACC should sanction Louisville for continued scandals

Reaction Score
Short of the death penalty or conference expulsion, Louisville should not be allowed to offer scholarships in FB or MBB for the next 10 years. That will solve two major problems: they will deemphasize their athletic programs and drop out of the ACC. It has to be a much tougher penalty than Penn State since they've managed to bounce back just fine - and way too quickly. They key is eliminating scholarships. Louisville doesn't have the guts to proceed by having coaches post tryout notices in the men's dorm for FB & MBB.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
With the Feds behind the investigation and as public as the investigation has been, the NCAA almost has to come down hard on UL. As for the death penalty, I don't think it will happen. Funny thing is that it doesn't need to happen to crater the program. During the Ed Martin scandal Michigan went through, just the thought of what might happen cratered our BBall program to the point where they didn't make the tourney for 10 years. Our coaches weren't even involved in the wrong doing (they knew about it, but did nothing). If this is a long drawn out process like the Martin case was, it will be like they had the death penalty.

Reaction Score
Out of curiosity, could the ACC throw Louisville out of the conference if they were so inclined? I know that typically there's a buyout for universities that want to jump ship to another conference, but what happens if the conference decided Louisville is a bad fit for their future and asked them to leave? Is it even possible?

They can be voted out for cause.

Reaction Score
The NCAA will try to impose the death penalty but the P5 will use this as a catylist to split from NCAA and start legally paying football and Basketball players.

B1G is not ready to go down that road.

Reaction Score
Has anyone discussed the fact that this scandal isn't likely to be settled in the next couple of years, so these schools are going to suffer heavily in recruiting.

This is going to be a very long walk through the desert. The ramifications will be felt next year and perhaps this year.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Has anyone discussed the fact that this scandal isn't likely to be settled in the next couple of years, so these schools are going to suffer heavily in recruiting.

This is going to be a very long walk through the desert. The ramifications will be felt next year and perhaps this year.

This is exactly what happened to Michigan. The case against Ed Martin was long and drawn out and it killed our recruiting. The threat of heavy sanctions were a greater penalty than the actual sanctions themselves.

Reaction Score
This is exactly what happened to Michigan. The case against Ed Martin was long and drawn out and it killed our recruiting. The threat of heavy sanctions were a greater penalty than the actual sanctions themselves.
They will also end up with a monetary penalty from the NCAA and ACC which will add to it

Reaction Score
Now here is a scary thought...

With a temporary President, no AD, no basketball coach....Bobby Petrino is left free to run amok.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
True of course they never had admitted a community college, ranked what 165 in USNWR, before either. Things change. The Ville was out of place geographically and academically. This is a chance to correct that. It becomes even easier if FSU is about to get sanctioned and the rumors are a FLA school is going to get some news today. Could just be Miami but Free Shoes U is always a good bet.

Reaction Score

With a temporary President, no AD, no basketball coach....Bobby Petrino is left free to run amok.

No way he stays at Louisville with Jurich gone. Tennessee would be a perfect fit.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I think the wording “no longer aligns themselves with the ideals of the conference. ..” helps them here. Cheating, lying, and fraud is right in line with the ideals of the conference!
For poops and giggles the following is what I think the ACC does in order of likeliness in the wildly outside shot they boot the Louisville Biting Birds...
1. Navy as a football only. Strong program, takes the moral high ground, with ND in for Olympic sports it balances at 14 per sport.
2. Invites Cincinnati. Jack of all trades, master of none university. Replaces UL geographically.
3. Invites UCSF. The schools finally merge into University of Central South Florida. Can’t turn down 100,000 student body. Especially when the student bodies are...you get the idea.
4. ND joins.
5. Temple.
6. Memphis. Louisville light.
7. UConn.

Reaction Score

Actually, the scarier thought for UofL fans is that Petrino staying out of trouble is the only thing preventing a total AD collapse.
Hes already on borrowed time. Just put a pretty face on his staff.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The NCAA needs to cripple Louisville's athletic programs.

That's if the NCAA has any backbone. We all know that is questionable!

The NCAA has no choice but to keep its collective mouth closed! The FBI is in control and will only release information it deems needed. The NCAA dare not go sniffing around to find out what is going on. There are congressmen in Washington calling for answers and maybe an investigation. Though I think congressional rattling is all hot air. Its got the NCAA scared.

Reaction Score
I wonder just how widespread the basketball payola is?

Since it seems that it is basketball guys who sign shoe contracts ...and one or two elite players make enough difference to make a college team a contender, I could see programs who sign elite guys as being particularly vulnerable.

Out of control boosters are a different, and maybe lesser, problem.

Hard to control a booster....but the involvement of coaches and major corporations is a wholly different matter in my opinion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom