OT: - Louisville and ACC | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Louisville and ACC

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Why is a school recruiting kids that have drugs, theft, and guns in their past to begin with?

Because they can help them win. Pure and simple.

I understand and agree with your point, but that's how big this has all become. A coach can hide what's going on, win a few games and the college gets some huge publicity. That is until it all comes crashing down like Baylor and Louisville.

Reaction Score
In the Ohio State locker room

decisions.jpg

Looking at this a certain way, does this sign imply that murder is cool?

Reaction Score
It all depends on who you recruit. If you take kids that have questionable behaviors, you need to remind kids that what they did previously isn't acceptable.

These kids have been worshipped by adults from the time they were in 2nd grade. They have been told they are great and have been allowed to get away with just about anything. There are girls that just throw themselves at these kids and they are given breaks. They have no boundaries in what they can do. They learn that these behaviors are acceptable for them. I am, in no way excusing the behavior. These kids should know it's not acceptable and to respect other people. The adults in these kids lives don't help the issue.

I don't make excuses for bad behavior, by anyone, either. But unfortunately, more than a few come from single and/or no parent households.......no guidance, no discipline........and whomever raised them, chances are their upbringing wasn't much better. More than a few UConn players, past and present, have told stories of living on the street in cars. Luckily you have some coaches. like Randy, that try to improve their outlook on life.

Its more of a cultural issue that has never been properly addressed by local, state, federal governments. Recently (last two years) read a couple of books written by former NFL players, which suggested (my paraphrasing) when you have government policies for the last fifty years that have held minority populations "hostages to poverty", this is what you get.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I don't make excuses for bad behavior, by anyone, either. But unfortunately, more than a few come from single and/or no parent households..no guidance, no discipline...and whomever raised them, chances are their upbringing wasn't much better. More than a few UConn players, past and present, have told stories of living on the street in cars. Luckily you have some coaches. like Randy, that try to improve their outlook on life.

Its more of a cultural issue that has never been properly addressed by local, state, federal governments. Recently (last two years) read a couple of books written by former NFL players, which suggested (my paraphrasing) when you have government policies for the last fifty years that have held minority populations "hostages to poverty", this is what you get.

Completely agree.

Reaction Score
Sometimes a smaller subset of a group gets a lot of press attention and influences our impression of the group as a whole.

Example.....When I watch the news, I wonder about the national narrative that we now have about racist, aggressive cops and their "war on blacks" versus the reality of the whole of law enforcement.

I suspect that your view is a function of your vantage point. If you are black, you probably nod your head. If you, or someone you know is in law enforcement, you probably shake your head.

Yes...a lot of these kids come from a single parent family and very rough neighborhoods with a culture that differs from those of a gated community...but from the studies that I have read, the athletes behavior doesn't vary much from their 18-20 year old non athlete peer group.

But a football/basketball player who is arrested will have his name scrolled across the bottom of the TV for millions to see.

Reaction Score
A Seminoles meth-smoking fan who claims to be a "model" burned down the 5th oldest tree in the world. What a wonderful conference.

Reaction Score
A Seminoles meth-smoking fan who claims to be a "model" burned down the 5th oldest tree in the world. What a wonderful conference.

Stupid post...it was in Seminole County Florida...but no Nole fan....just hate and smack...but not factual.

Reaction Score
Stupid post...it was in Seminole County Florida...but no Nole fan....just hate and smack...but not factual.
It's according to her facebook profile. Want me to pull it up? Hurts, eh? She's a Noles fan.

Sara Barnes

"Other Brian Cox, modelscout, Model Mayhem, UCF Outdoor Adventure, Playmates, An Inspired Approach, Seminoles, Florida State Seminoles Football Alliance, Find.com MultiSearch, Visa, K Coopman Photography, Visa, I Love The Miami Dolphins, Nole Nation, I Love The Seminoles"

Reaction Score
Sure..pull it up....I do agree with you though...neither of us would want UConn in the ACC.

Reaction Score
Sure..pull it up....I do agree with you though...neither of us would want UConn in the ACC.
I just did. Try reading the post. You don't want UConn in the ACC but keep coming here. Brilliant man, you are.

You think UNC or Duke are going to stay in the ACC? You might have NC State in the future, sure. Might have to add ECU to give NC State an in-state rival.

Reaction Score
FSU fans have so many self esteem issues about themselves and the school they graduated from that they need to go to other boards to tell people how great they are to make them feel better about themselves.

Reaction Score
FSU fans have a lot to be angry about. With the NCAA cracking down on all the ways they cheat, their talent level is decreasing as evidenced by their record. The downward spiral will continue as long as recruiting rules are enforced and cheaters are punished.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
I do not understand how a Florida State fan that does not particularly like UConn has 3,110 posts on our message board. Does he not have anything better to do?

I don't even mind his posts 80% of the time, but sheesh.

Reaction Score
I do not understand how a Florida State fan that does not particularly like UConn has 3,110 posts on our message board. Does he not have anything better to do?

I don't even mind his posts 80% of the time, but sheesh.
I ignored the kissing cousin months ago. Best move I made

Reaction Score
A couple of things that surprise me about the Louisville situation:
It seems most Louisville fans don't think Jurich should be responsible for the scandals that occurred during his tenure.
It seems most Louisville fans believe Pitino didn't know anything about any of the scandals until they were made public.
I don't know why I am surprised, but I am.

Reaction Score
http://www.courier-journal.com/stor...799537001/?from=global&sessionKey=&autologin=

Atlantic Coast Conference commissioner John Swofford on Wednesday stood by the league's addition of Louisville amid recent scandals that have rocked the university.

Making Louisville the ACC's 15th member was the "right decision at the time," Swofford said, adding that the school addressed its issues "aggressively."

"Not pleased with the recent turn of events, as we wouldn't be whether a member were in the league from 1953 (or more recently)," Swofford said. "It doesn't matter when they come in. But it was the right decision at the time, and I think can be the right decision over the long term."

Swofford announced that the league formed a task force, chaired by former Virginia athletics director Craig Littlepage. The league started the commission in the wake of an FBI investigation into corruption in college basketball recruiting that has ensnared coaches and/or players from league members Louisville and Miami and a recruit committed to North Carolina.

The task force also includes athletics directors from Boston College (Martin Jarmond), Duke (Kevin White) and Florida State (Stan Wilcox), plus ACC men's hoops commissioner Paul Brazeau.

"Our goal will be to see if we can offer solutions to the NCAA commission (on hoops recruiting)," Swofford said, "or at least ideas for them to consider and processes that may prove helpful to them as it completes its work. We're visiting with a number of our own coaches one-on-one for input, and simply put, our league needs to do our part in finding solutions to this and offering ideas that can lead us to solutions. And I'm confident with the leadership of that task force, we will hopefully be able to do that."

ACC Commissioner John Swofford on FBI charges: "Truly disturbing to me" - ACCSports.com

Reaction Score
He got them into the ACC. That is all that really matters.

"Commish Swofford stands behind the decision to add Louisville, despite the turmoil around the Cards at the moment. Believes it'll show to be the correct move for years to come."

Reaction Score
"Commish Swofford stands behind the decision to add Louisville, despite the turmoil around the Cards at the moment. Believes it'll show to be the correct move for years to come."
Swafford is a total scumbag. Securing hookers for recruits, paying recruits to commit to Louisville, Syracuse's major scandal, UNC's 18 years of academic fraud, Miami's scandal, etc, etc, etc. Swafford is fine with all of it - accountability be damned. The ACC doesn't have a problem, the ACC is the problem. The University Presidents to include UVA, Duke, NC State, BC - all of them are totally complicit as well. Their silence in all of this is deafening. Plus, most community colleges have better academic reputations than Louisville and the ACC school presidents are fine with their poor academics. The ACC is a ship of rats and congress needs to get involved. I used to want UCONN to get an invite to the ACC. No more. I don't want us to get tainted by their stink - no matter how much money each member school gets a year. The ACC is dirty to the core. If we can't get into the B1G, I would be happy gong back to the Big East. AD Dave can come up with a solution on where to park football.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom