Let's Talk Iowa State... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Let's Talk Iowa State...

Status
Not open for further replies.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Iowa St. is 6th in points, 1st in assists, 2nd in rebounds. And from arguably this year's best hoops conference.

They've only been held under 70 pts once (vs Baylor). At least it won't be a boring game.

No reason to think we lose if we play like the final 30 minutes of last night's Nova game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We might be playing our best ball of the season. With the exception of Omar, guys seem to have found and in some cases expanded their roles. DD looking better than he has since the first injury. Agree that Iowa State is dangerous so we need to play smart on both ends and stay out of the sin bin. Home crowd and Bazz/Boat gives us the edge, but it's a razors edge.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
Heavy ball pressure on Kane ( T Sam & Kromah+ possibly Omar) + Kane will get in foul trouble = we win.

Reaction Score
It's MSG! Our home court. The refs will be calling everything UCONN's way. That's all we need- load them up with fouls and get to the line at the end of the game.

DOOMED!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
They have a very entitled fanbase that likes to boo, but we will have a definite home court advantage.
Why do they feel they are entitled? What the heck has ISU ever done to make them feel that way?

Reaction Score
According to Kenpom UConn is the best defense ISU has faced this year. On the flip, they are (with Niang) the best offense UConn has faced.

I think this is going to be a really interesting game. If it's a low scoring game, UConn has a real good chance of winning this. I'm not sure about a high scoring game though. I'm not sure we really have enough weapons offensively. I like our chances if Iowa State scores under 65. I really dislike our chances if Iowa State scores over 75.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It may come down to UConn running a lot of:

SN
RB
LK
NG
DD

Would be a nice game to have last years OC show up.

Could see some Facey also.

This could be the second game in a row that Brimah won't see a ton of time. He would be good to oop to on offense though. Not sure he can guard one of their players. Same with Nolan. Unless Edozie plays.

I think the worst thing we could do is to try to become what they are (especially as it would be a far lesser version). Force them to try to score inside on Brimah. Let them try to match our frontcourt's length and our backcourt's quickness. The mistake we made two years ago is we allowed them to do what they did best and tried to match it. Bazz and Boat won't get any taller on Friday but it will be difficult for ISU's guards to stay in front of them. We are who we are. Make them try to beat us.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I've been spying on their forum all evening (my life is an enigma, yes) and apparently a UConn football fan tossed their mascot down the aisle at a football game and broke the bird's arm. Some of those fans are foaming at the mouth wanting revenge in blood and forced labor.

Reaction Score
Glad we're playing them instead of UNC. UNC looked big. Iowa State looks more like us, quality shooters and speedy. I don't mind our chances, especially in The Garden.

Reaction Score
they probably are looking to exact some revenge from 2012, the first 15 minutes of that game, I almost broke my tv...hoilberg runs some very nice offensive sets

Reaction Score
They have given up an average of 82 points per game over their last 8 games. UConn is 20-1 this year when it scores over 70 points. I love our chances of advancing to the Elite 8, even if it is a shootout.

Reaction Score
I look for Boatright and Daniels to have a big game.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I've been spying on their forum all evening (my life is an enigma, yes) and apparently a UConn football fan tossed their mascot down the aisle at a football game and broke the bird's arm. Some of those fans are foaming at the mouth wanting revenge in blood and forced labor.

That is their version. On the football board the real story came out and it was something along the lines of their mascot going into the student section, starting crap, getting

There is more to the story and I believe their mascot was starting trouble with a cop before the arm was broken.

caw

Reaction Score
I think this is going to be a really interesting game. If it's a low scoring game, UConn has a real good chance of winning this. I'm not sure about a high scoring game though. I'm not sure we really have enough weapons offensively. I like our chances if Iowa State scores under 65. I really dislike our chances if Iowa State scores over 75.

As someone mentioned ISU never scores under 70. It would be amazing if UConn held them to under 65.

I do think UConn can score with them but it's not UConns forte.

caw

Reaction Score
they probably are looking to exact some revenge from 2012, the first 15 minutes of that game, I almost broke my tv...hoilberg runs some very nice offensive sets

The nutcase was a tough guard for UConns starters. He was a more athletic version of that dude from St Joes. It helps UConn immensely that Niang is out simple bc that would be a bad matchup.

They average 84 PPG, 1.14 PPP on 47.5, 69.8 and 36.8 shooting splits. They also average 38.6 rebounds, 6 steals and 3 blocks.

They give up 74 PPG 1.02 PPP on 41.8, 72.6, 33.7 shooting splits. They also give up 37.1 Rebounds, 5.5 times have it stolen and 3.4 have it blocked.

They play a much higher pace than UConn. 66.5 possessions per 40 for UConn an 73.1 for ISU. Or 6.6 possessions per 40 less for UConn, translates to about 7 extra points at the same PPP, or 79.5, defensively that would add about 6.3 points to UConns opponents at the same PPP or about 70. Sorry just did some quick math so might be off by .1 or .2 with previous two PPG calculations. Now the question is if UConn can maintain its methodical pace against an offense that is high powered.

UConn averages 72.5 PPG 1.09 PPPon 44.8, 76.5 and 39.2 shooting splits. UConn grabs 35.2 rebounds, averages 7.1 steals and 6 blocks.

UConn only gives up 63.7 PPG, 0.96 PPP on 38.9, 67, and 33 shooting splits. UConn gives up 34.7 rebounds, have the ball stolen 5.8 times and blocked 3.2.

The closest offense UConn has played against statistically is probably UL but UL generates a lot of that offense with its defense, which is also stellar. ISU generates it's offense through offense. Very similar to how UNC used to run/still runs things, the whole "we will out score you" attitude. I do think Hoiberg can adjust better than Williams so it will be interesting to see what he plays for this one. Ollie needs to make sure the kids are keyed in on the scouting reports and stick with their assignments. I will say ISUs shooting against UNC wasn't exactly characteristic but they are a different team now without niang.

Reaction Score
Ejim 6-6 220 18.1-8.5. Very good player, can shoot the ball decently but is a very good rebounder. likely Daniels or Giffey would start on him.

Kane 6-4, 200 17-6-7. Very good all around player. Much like Bazz there is little he can't do. Maybe not as nifty with the ball as Bazz but taller an stronger and a better leaper. He's their PG but Boat and Bazz will have trouble defending him.

Hogue 6-6 215, 11-9. Similar to Ejim less prolific from three but still very good. I imagine Giffey or Daniels on him.

Morris 6-2, 170 freshman who is good but I like this matchup with either Bazz or Boat.

Edozie 6-8 245. Basically started against UNC because Niang was out. Kind of a meh player. Dunno if he will start against UConn.

Long 6-4, 205. Good shooter. Not their biggest threat but may see more shots with Niang out. Off the bench Answer to Kromah.

That's the main team.

Just as an FYI they are real tough. But they are small……Hogue is funny listed at 6'6" because I saw him next to Ejiim in the huddle and is 2 inches shorter - 6'4 1/2" best and Kane was at least an inch orm ore shorter than him……….but no matter they are stronger and wider than our guys………tough match up but I like it!

Reaction Score
I like the fact we can play defense and keep them in front of us…….with Niang that would have changed because they play the in-out game so well and he is a lethal passer……..they played in a high today and I doubt that wears off fast. They are tough and can score the ball……..but we are UConn and can defend. I think it's a brawl and our boys are up for the challenge……..

Reaction Score
Pinkston was a bull too, he had trouble vs 7 foot wingspans of our frontline. looking at all the numbers, ISU is a smart offense that gets great looks. They are not good defensively. Having just lost such an integral part of their offense, it really says a lot about how poor unc was defensively. Daniels vs Ejim will be interesting. We gotta get deandre touches on the block vs them

Reaction Score
I'm always amazed at the lack of knowledge from other programs. Just went over to the ISU message board for a peak and one guy says we are arrogant for a school that's only successful program is women's basketball, another guy admits we have won 1 championship. Iowa State has done nothing outside of wrestling, it's amazing how some fan bases have such high opinions of themselves when they have accomplished nothing on the national level. I respect their team but am surprised by how little the fans seem to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom