Let's Talk Iowa State... | The Boneyard

Let's Talk Iowa State...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Very unfamiliar with their squad, what should we know going into Friday? I know one of their better players went down in the Round of 64. How do they play? Volume shooting from the perimeter or inside-out?

Reaction Score
They're a good shooter however lack lengthy players. DeAndre Kane and Melvin Ejim are their best players, (Ejim B12 Player of the year) and Kane is a very big guard. Naz Long can shoot and Dustin Hogue loves to drive. That's as far as I know.

Reaction Score
Giffey and Kromah will have their hands full on defense thats for sure. Brimah and Nolan need to have big games and control the boards. LETS DO THIS

Reaction Score
Compared to the teams we have seen this season, who are they most similar to?

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
We're going to have a hard time keeping them out of the paint. Their guards are much bigger than ours. I see Niels/Kromah and even Samuels playing big roles in limiting their guards' penetration.

Offensively, their length may be an issue on our guards.

They were in a foot race with UNC but we will keep them in the half court and force them to execute in a completely different type of game. They are tough and physical, should be a good one.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Summon stupidity, take a 2 minute trip to their board and they're already saying its not gonna be close and if we had Niang, it would be a blowout. More mojo?

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score
As always, rebounding is going to be the stat to follow. Niels was a man yesterday, we're going to need a similar effort to control the pace.

Reaction Score
Our guards aren't like UNC's guards.. they're gonna have to be sure with the ball bc we apply much more ball pressure. In any game dominated by perimeter players, I'll take my chances with the guys we have. Daniels is a mismatch, as always. Iowa State is VERY good though. It's gonna be tough, but at this point in the season, it's supposed to be

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score
Side note...do we have a real shot to win this tournament? We can reasonably beat any team in the nation outside of Louisville (as much as it hurts to say that).

Reaction Score
I feel very good about the matchup. Ejim and Kane are studs but we actually guard people unlike Carolina. We have more length than them and they don't have a rim protector, we should be able to drive and finish and drive and kick it out.

caw

Reaction Score
Ejim 6-6 220 18.1-8.5. Very good player, can shoot the ball decently but is a very good rebounder. likely Daniels or Giffey would start on him.

Kane 6-4, 200 17-6-7. Very good all around player. Much like Bazz there is little he can't do. Maybe not as nifty with the ball as Bazz but taller an stronger and a better leaper. He's their PG but Boat and Bazz will have trouble defending him.

Hogue 6-6 215, 11-9. Similar to Ejim less prolific from three but still very good. I imagine Giffey or Daniels on him.

Morris 6-2, 170 freshman who is good but I like this matchup with either Bazz or Boat.

Edozie 6-8 245. Basically started against UNC because Niang was out. Kind of a meh player. Dunno if he will start against UConn.

Long 6-4, 205. Good shooter. Not their biggest threat but may see more shots with Niang out. Off the bench Answer to Kromah.

That's the main team.

pj

Reaction Score
They have a lot of strong 6'2" to 6'6" guys, 4 very good players, not much depth. I think we can both outquick them on the perimeter and outlength them near the basket. They will rely on strength. Giffey and Kromah and Daniels will get a lot of time. We need a good game from Brimah. Bazz and Boat need to break them down. Long has to be marked on the perimeter. I think we should win.

Reaction Score
I've watched a lot of Iowa State and what they can do is give you fits. They can invert their offense by lifting their bigs and putting their guards down low. Without Niang, a lot of this is negated because he is a lot like the big guy on St. Joes. They can run offense through him. They will shoot themselves into and out of a game.

Reaction Score
Fred Hoiberg is clearly an elite coach, they play an NBA style game and pass very well. It will be an all out war.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Haven't seen much of them this year, but Carolina abused them in the paint in the 2nd half. Hopefully that wasn't a fluke and we're able to have some success there.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
They have no depth once Niang went down. We should get out and run and wear them down.

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score
upload_2014-3-23_20-2-1.png

Oh brother.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
They look like a big, physical and talented team, but it's the sweet 16 - everyone is good.

I think having a home court advantage will be big for us.. Interesting to see what the odds makers set the spread as.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
a few things we can't do:
1. Take any plays off on transition/missed shots - they get out quick
2. Leave men open on the wings - they can shoot the three
3. try to muscle them in the 1/2/3 positions - they are strong
4. They have muscle in the 4/5 - not tall - but again strong
5. panic - we need to keep our head -they do not panic

We will probably need to bring our IDs - they look like a 25 yr old team who spends the off season something our guys should have been doing - hitting the weight room
They are well coached - Fred Hoiberg is a phenomenal bball mind - like KO - he spent many years in the NBA

This is going to be a real tough gane vs a real tough opponent

UConn can win but I would have rather faced UNC especially if it came to free throws

Lets go UConn - they are playing in our "vacation home"

Reaction Score
Ejim 6-6 220 18.1-8.5. Very good player, can shoot the ball decently but is a very good rebounder. likely Daniels or Giffey would start on him.

Kane 6-4, 200 17-6-7. Very good all around player. Much like Bazz there is little he can't do. Maybe not as nifty with the ball as Bazz but taller an stronger and a better leaper. He's their PG but Boat and Bazz will have trouble defending him.

Hogue 6-6 215, 11-9. Similar to Ejim less prolific from three but still very good. I imagine Giffey or Daniels on him.

Morris 6-2, 170 freshman who is good but I like this matchup with either Bazz or Boat.

Edozie 6-8 245. Basically started against UNC because Niang was out. Kind of a meh player. Dunno if he will start against UConn.

Long 6-4, 205. Good shooter. Not their biggest threat but may see more shots with Niang out. Off the bench Answer to Kromah.

That's the main team.

Long saved them today. He hit 3 HUGE threes when UNC was threatening to pull away down the stretch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom