Let's Talk Iowa State... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Let's Talk Iowa State...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think Terrance Samuel will be huge in this game.

Was thinking he will be key in this game and for the future of our tournament chances as well.

Separate, unrelated thought: If Memphis beats UVA tonight, they ACC has exactly 0 teams remaining. Life is good in the lowly AAC!

Reaction Score
I hate that Hoiberg has 5 days to prepare for shabazz. That's what concerns me most.

Like KO says, coaching is overrated. Players win games. Hoiberg didn't win the game today. Kane and Long did.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Their players can all handle and like to leak out for a very fast break. Kane gets down court like Johnson from Memphis.
They shoot a lot of threes like Nova but have more players who are dynamic finishers inside, so don't rely on the three as much.

They do have a thin bench and their players made some careless fouls today. UNC failed to take advantage of this by targeting the players in foul trouble. PN's penchant for drawing charges may come into play.

The have active hands inside and multiple players who pursue rebounds very hard, so boxing out will be key from all hands.
If we were to play small, we would give up strength at every position but conversely AB and PN will give up quickness if they go small. The lob may be open for AB if they play small, but of course we are doomed, clearly DOOMED!

Reaction Score
We need to keep a hand in Naz Long's face at all times. He could kill us with 3's all game long.

Reaction Score
doomed

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-03-23 at 8.24.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-03-23 at 8.24.22 PM.png
    52.7 KB · Views: 135

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Their players can all handle and like to leak out for a very fast break. Kane gets down court like Johnson from Memphis.
They shoot a lot of threes like Nova but have more players who are dynamic finishers inside, so don't rely on the three as much.

They do have a thin bench and their players made some careless fouls today. UNC failed to take advantage of this by targeting the players in foul trouble. PN's penchant for drawing charges may come into play.

Good god, I hope that's not what we're pinning our hopes on.

caw

Reaction Score
It may come down to UConn running a lot of:

SN
RB
LK
NG
DD

Would be a nice game to have last years OC show up.

Could see some Facey also.

This could be the second game in a row that Brimah won't see a ton of time. He would be good to oop to on offense though. Not sure he can guard one of their players. Same with Nolan. Unless Edozie plays.

Reaction Score
I would say Memphis is a decent comparison, when Memphis can shoot. They like to go four guards, and like to have 5 players on the court who can shoot threes. I think we can control the glass as long as we control Ejim.

Reaction Score
What I've seen of them, they have championship talent but at times have gotten into a fun they can't get out of. It really depends which team we see. This game might look like the Nova game or it could be a blowout and not good news for us. LOSING Niang will suck for them but the match ups are a mess for everyone.

Reaction Score

SN
RB
LK
NG
DD

This could be the second game in a row that Brimah won't see a ton of time. He would be good to oop to on offense though. Not sure he can guard one of their players. Same with Nolan. Unless Edozie plays.

Brimah played about 20 minutes last night. Nolan only played 6.

Reaction Score
Kind of remind me of Cincinnati physically but with more offensive skill, less defensive cohesiveness.

Not nearly as physical. They don't defend anybody, gave up 102 pts to west Virginia in loss. They are a great offensive team, very good veteran squad. UConn does match up pretty well, and brimahs d will give them fits. Gonna be a very tough out

Reaction Score
Living in Kansas I have watched a lot of Iowa State. To put it simply, if they are "on" shooting, they are near unbeatable. I will be anxious to see how they shoot in the Garden. They are physical and drive well, so I think the officials will also play a large role in the outcome. They like to run, and I am not so sure we want to run with them. They are like Nova, but guards are bigger. Niang going down is very favorable, but they run a ton of sets and are very versatile. They have a very entitled fanbase that likes to boo, but we will have a definite home court advantage.

Lets go! Doooommmmmmeeeeedddddd for sure.

Reaction Score
the loss of niang can't be overstated. He had an extremely high usage %, sure its easy to make up vs a poor defensive team like unc, but i think they might have trouble vs our defense. Its also good we just played a team who shoots a ton of threes.

Reaction Score
I can't imagine Facey will be called upon to contribute meaningful minutes. I agree with your lineup for spots when they can have LK guard Kane for spells.

I see limited minutes for Nolan, we either go small for long stretches or Brimah plays the 5.

SN
RB
LK
NG
DD

Reaction Score
People said Nova guards were bigger and would cause a problem. We out quicked them. I thought that was one of the main factors in our win last night. Can we out quick Iowa St and break down their defense? It also seems as if the lightbulb has turned on for Ryan B. Not only that but it seems that he is finally enjoying distributing. This makes us much more dangerous on many levels. I don't think other people have caught onto this yet. U would have to be a UConn fan to really pick it up.

Reaction Score
My two cents. Bazz is a pro without question. Kane will get his points. He played in conference USA and was by far the most lethal shooter and offensive player. His defense can be overly agressive. Similar to their team as a whole. They are a good defensive team but not great. However, they will get points against you guys. Their offense can by dynamic. Fortunately they lost one of their key players, so I think that may swing the advantage to you guys. With the outside shooting they possess, you can't assume any lead is safe with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom