Let's Talk Iowa State... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Let's Talk Iowa State...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Game is a tossup and will be decided on some yet to be discovered intangible. Hoiberg is an excellent coach and he should have his guys well prepared. Why would anyone expect intelligent analysis from 99% of the boards "out there." We even got cr*p from the Bucknell folks in 2011 and one might suppose their fanbase to be reasonably intelligent.

Reaction Score
Not putting much stock in the KenPom numbers. Didn't they only give us 34% chance to beat Nova?

Reaction Score
[MikeSol12, post: 894378, member: 3149"]The Iowa state board talks about how we're a womens basketball school. They must've forgotten that we're arguably the best program of the past 15 years with 3 national titles.[/quote]
And theyre a men's basketball school? Jamaal Tinsley ain't walking through that door!

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I've been spying on their forum all evening (my life is an enigma, yes) and apparently a UConn football fan tossed their mascot down the aisle at a football game and broke the bird's arm. Some of those fans are foaming at the mouth wanting revenge in blood and forced labor.

Some of them may also remember that when we destroyed them in football in the last game of the 2002 season at Ames, their local TV broadcast lost its audio feed early in the first quarter. They couldn't get it fixed, so they used Joe D's UCONN radio call of the game as audio for their TV telecast for the rest of the game. Joe proceeded to F up most of his calls as usual, but what really got under their skin is he kept referring to them as the "Hawkeyes." Not only did they absorb a humiliating loss, but they were referred to as their cross state arch rival. There were Cyclone fans who wanted to hook Joe up to the rear bumper of their pickup trucks and drag him clear across the state of Iowa.

Reaction Score
That is their version. On the football board the real story came out and it was something along the lines of their mascot going into the student section, starting crap, getting

There is more to the story and I believe their mascot was starting trouble with a cop before the arm was broken.

I was there that day, Cy (their mascot) went up into the student section and started harassing our fans. The dumb chicken fell back down the stairs, without being pushed (yes, I was there) and ended up breaking it's arm. You really couldn't tell that Cy broke his arm because he had a huge smile on his face when he was laying at the bottom of stairs!:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
They had 1 fan who said that we are a women's basketball school and who didn't realize we have 3 championships. It is not wise to extrapolate 1 fan to an entire fan base. Imagine if someone on the ISU forum was quoting Palatine or Nelson and using it to judge our entire fan base....

No need to get panties in a bunch.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
They had 1 fan who said that we are a women's basketball school and who didn't realize we have 3 championships. It is not wise to extrapolate 1 fan to an entire fan base. Imagine if someone on the ISU forum was quoting Palatine or Nelson and using it to judge our entire fan base....

No need to get panties in a bunch.

Yes there is. We generated disgust for opposing fan bases for both St Joes and Villanova. And we won. We are doing the same for Iowa St because it works.

Reaction Score
I'm always amazed at the lack of knowledge from other programs. Just went over to the ISU message board for a peak and one guy says we are arrogant for a school that's only successful program is women's basketball, another guy admits we have won 1 championship. Iowa State has done nothing outside of wrestling, it's amazing how some fan bases have such high opinions of themselves when they have accomplished nothing on the national level. I respect their team but am surprised by how little the fans seem to know.

It's easy to pick out a few bad fans on any message board. As a fan of Iowa State for the last 25 years here is what I can tell you:

UConn
The normal ISU fans has a lot of respect for the UConn mens basketball team and it's tradition. We put the UConn tradition in the same league as Kentucky, North Carolina, Duke, Kansas, etc. We know that we don't have a traditional powerhouse. I actually felt a little bad in 2011 that ISU was the last game for Calhoun.

Iowa State Tradition
In short, we haven't been a powerhouse in any sport. All the ISU fans know this very well. The one thing we can hang our hats on is that we have die hard fans. Very few schools have 17,000 fans drive 230 miles to see their team play. Just for reference, Hartford to NYC is 100 less miles and I'll be surprised if UConn brings 1/2 that number to a bigger game. Our fans do get annoyed that no one knows anything about our programs. We get annoyed that we often get called the Hawkeyes, we get annoyed that people think everyone in Iowa is a farmer (less than 5%), we get annoyed that when our local sport station called 3 people in NC and asked them what they knew about Iowa they said #1 Illinois was the capital city of Iowa, #2 The Iowa team they were playing are called the cornhuskers, #3 Iowa is known for potatoes.

Iowa State Team
We don't get the elite players like the powerhouse schools. Hell we have a hard time keeping the kids in Iowa. Not a lot of people expected much out of ISU this year. I believe we were expected to finish mid pack in the Big 12. With all that said, many of us believe that we have the best basketball coach in America. If you closely watch games against teams like Baylor, Oklahoma State, etc. you'll see what a difference he makes. Hoiberg is big on mismatches and he has the players to make this happen. Unfortunately, our biggest mismatch was George Niang. Our defense is average.
ISU plays well together as a team and you never know who is going to be star of the show. Besides Kansas, no one beats ISU at Hilton including teams like Michigan, OKSt, OU, Baylor, Iowa, etc.

Mascot-Broken Arm
The mascot was on cyclonefantic after the incident and it sounded like it was handled very poorly by the UConn staff. I think the "they want blood" should be more like "water under the bridge. Since that incident, both the football and basketball team has beaten UConn. It's more of a joke now.

Reaction Score
People love to bring up the success of the women's team like it's a negative. Can't help but think people who say stuff like that are raving sexists.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
intlzncster said:
Yes there is. We generated disgust for opposing fan bases for both St Joes and Villanova. And we won. We are doing the same for Iowa St because it works.
They sicken me

Reaction Score
It's easy to pick out a few bad fans on any message board. As a fan of Iowa State for the last 25 years here is what I can tell you:

UConn
The normal ISU fans has a lot of respect for the UConn mens basketball team and it's tradition. We put the UConn tradition in the same league as Kentucky, North Carolina, Duke, Kansas, etc. We know that we don't have a traditional powerhouse. I actually felt a little bad in 2011 that ISU was the last game for Calhoun.

Iowa State Tradition
In short, we haven't been a powerhouse in any sport. All the ISU fans know this very well. The one thing we can hang our hats on is that we have die hard fans. Very few schools have 17,000 fans drive 230 miles to see their team play. Just for reference, Hartford to NYC is 100 less miles and I'll be surprised if UConn brings 1/2 that number to a bigger game. Our fans do get annoyed that no one knows anything about our programs. We get annoyed that we often get called the Hawkeyes, we get annoyed that people think everyone in Iowa is a farmer (less than 5%), we get annoyed that when our local sport station called 3 people in NC and asked them what they knew about Iowa they said #1 Illinois was the capital city of Iowa, #2 The Iowa team they were playing are called the cornhuskers, #3 Iowa is known for potatoes.

Iowa State Team
We don't get the elite players like the powerhouse schools. Hell we have a hard time keeping the kids in Iowa. Not a lot of people expected much out of ISU this year. I believe we were expected to finish mid pack in the Big 12. With all that said, many of us believe that we have the best basketball coach in America. If you closely watch games against teams like Baylor, Oklahoma State, etc. you'll see what a difference he makes. Hoiberg is big on mismatches and he has the players to make this happen. Unfortunately, our biggest mismatch was George Niang. Our defense is average.
ISU plays well together as a team and you never know who is going to be star of the show. Besides Kansas, no one beats ISU at Hilton including teams like Michigan, OKSt, OU, Baylor, Iowa, etc.

Mascot-Broken Arm
The mascot was on cyclonefantic after the incident and it sounded like it was handled very poorly by the UConn staff. I think the "they want blood" should be more like "water under the bridge. Since that incident, both the football and basketball team has beaten UConn. It's more of a joke now.

Thanks for your input. You seem like a good fan who doesn't try to twist things. You reference 2011 though, Kemba and co. were cutting down nets in 2011. Calhoun's last game was in March of 2012.

Reaction Score
Thanks for your input. You seem like a good fan who doesn't try to twist things. You reference 2011 though, Kemba and co. were cutting down nets in 2011. Calhoun's last game was in March of 2012.

My bad, I knew it was 2 years ago but I was still thinking it was currently 2013 :confused:

Reaction Score

UConn

Iowa State Tradition

Iowa State Team

Mascot-Broken Arm

Good stuff thanks for the reply………..there's a lot of respect for the Cyclones here I believe, I know I have been a fan of Fred's teams and like the way they play. Entertaining offensively for sure, he finds shooters and if these people watched Fred play from his days in Ames through his NBA career they'd know why he likes shooters so much. The fact that shooting is a lost art amongst the AAU teams is great for fred as he gets his recruits outside the limelight of the AA's and looks for the cohesiveness within his system…….he does a great job and even without Niang they have weapons galore and are a few 3's away from closing a gap, if there is one!

Thanks for dropping by and good lu………..sorry can't do it!!

Reaction Score
Their guards are really good, Kane has to contained !!

Reaction Score
Ejim 6-6 220 18.1-8.5. Very good player, can shoot the ball decently but is a very good rebounder. likely Daniels or Giffey would start on him.

Kane 6-4, 200 17-6-7. Very good all around player. Much like Bazz there is little he can't do. Maybe not as nifty with the ball as Bazz but taller an stronger and a better leaper. He's their PG but Boat and Bazz will have trouble defending him.

Hogue 6-6 215, 11-9. Similar to Ejim less prolific from three but still very good. I imagine Giffey or Daniels on him.

Morris 6-2, 170 freshman who is good but I like this matchup with either Bazz or Boat.

Edozie 6-8 245. Basically started against UNC because Niang was out. Kind of a meh player. Dunno if he will start against UConn.

Long 6-4, 205. Good shooter. Not their biggest threat but may see more shots with Niang out. Off the bench Answer to Kromah.

That's the main team.
Iowa State fan here. Not here to flame or get in pissing matches. Just want to talk basketball

Ejim- Is the type of player that lulls you. Most of his games you wonder where he is then you look at his stat line and see he has 18 and 9. He can shoot the three and cleans up around the boards. Extremely athletic. He usually plays the 4 and hen he has a four guarding him can get to the hoop with quickness and athleticism

Kane- Is a beast. Big strong, deceivingly quick. good defender when he wants and he has improved his three point shooting from 27% at Marshall to 40%. He can get frustrated and out of control at times.

Hogue- The type of player you LOVE on your team but hate hen you play against him. He can jump through the roof and do it quickly. Total energy player that can crash and come up with loose balls. Can step out and hit the three as well. Can be dirty sometimes and will get in player's heads

Morris- Leads the country in assist to turnover ratio. Shattered the record as a TFrosh. Our best on ball defender and can shut guys down. He kept Paige in check when he was in the game and is usually assigned to the opponents best scoring guard. Has picked up his game offensively but is sliight of build and wears down a little and can miss some bunnies.

Edozie- Plays defense and rebounds. Not much else. He is there to give breathers and pick up garbage buckets. Big strong body and solid player

Naz Long- Kid can flat out shoot the three and plays solid defense. shooting 41% on the season and is hot right now. Kid has ice in his veins and is clutch. Has shot ISU back into four games late. A game winner and a three to force OT. Shot ISU back into the UNC game. He can also play solid defense

Thomas- Fresh shooting guard. Can hit the three but has confidence issues this year. If he gets hot look out.

1. ISU shot a ton of threes against UNC but that isn't this team's reputation. They shot them because they were making them and the short turn around with Niang being out.
  2. This team is tight and it shows on the court. They are the top in the country in assists/game. The assists come from everyone. They will move the ball, dribble penetrate and kick and all our bigs(use that lightly) will dish in the lane.
  3. Don't judge points per game as a reflection of our defense. We simply play up tempo so there are more possessions and more points. While we don't play great defense we did have 0.982 points per possession prior to UNC. We have never been deep on the bench and tend to play softer defense in the first half and tighten things up in the second half. This keeps guys out of foul trouble and fresh. UNC scored at will in the paint in the second half, not because we played poor defense but because Hogue and Kane had foul trouble.
  4. ISU has played and beaten long and tall teams. BYU, Iowa, KU, Baylor, Texas, etc. They simply know how to attack the height. Every game Cyclone fans wonder how ISU will beat the other team's length and every game they find a way.
  5. Don't read too much into the West Virgina game. ISU did not show up and West Virgina was amazing at home. Fred has that NBA coaching metality and consider that a throw away game.
  6. ISU will travel but there is no doubt this will be a home game for UConn.
  7. This team is clutch. They simply know and feel they will win. I think they have had 9 games(maybe 10) where they have come back from double digit deficits. Fred instills confidence inthe players, gives them freedom and they believe.
This should be a great game to watch. Will love seeing Kane and Napier on the court at the same time. I would expect Morris to defend Napier unless Boatwright gets hot. Other than that, who knows what ISU will do with 5 days to prepare and Niang out.

As for ISU fans....they do not have a feeling of entitlement. They do hate the Jayhawks and I am guessing that is why the poster stated that as he/she lives in Kansas. Don't take one poster's comments and paint a whole fanbase. ISU knows who UConn is and what they have done. Most ISU fans are very knowledgable when it comes to basketball and they respect UConn. We are on a fun ride right now so there is a lot of excitement

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
Iowa State fan here. Not here to flame or get in pissing matches. Just want to talk basketball

Ejim- Is the type of player that lulls you. Most of his games you wonder where he is then you look at his stat line and see he has 18 and 9. He can shoot the three and cleans up around the boards. Extremely athletic. He usually plays the 4 and hen he has a four guarding him can get to the hoop with quickness and athleticism

Kane- Is a beast. Big strong, deceivingly quick. good defender when he wants and he has improved his three point shooting from 27% at Marshall to 40%. He can get frustrated and out of control at times.

Hogue- The type of player you LOVE on your team but hate hen you play against him. He can jump through the roof and do it quickly. Total energy player that can crash and come up with loose balls. Can step out and hit the three as well. Can be dirty sometimes and will get in player's heads

Morris- Leads the country in assist to turnover ratio. Shattered the record as a TFrosh. Our best on ball defender and can shut guys down. He kept Paige in check when he was in the game and is usually assigned to the opponents best scoring guard. Has picked up his game offensively but is sliight of build and wears down a little and can miss some bunnies.

Edozie- Plays defense and rebounds. Not much else. He is there to give breathers and pick up garbage buckets. Big strong body and solid player

Naz Long- Kid can flat out shoot the three and plays solid defense. shooting 41% on the season and is hot right now. Kid has ice in his veins and is clutch. Has shot ISU back into four games late. A game winner and a three to force OT. Shot ISU back into the UNC game. He can also play solid defense

Thomas- Fresh shooting guard. Can hit the three but has confidence issues this year. If he gets hot look out.

1. [ ]ISU shot a ton of threes against UNC but that isn't this team's reputation. They shot them because they were making them and the short turn around with Niang being out.
    [ ]This team is tight and it shows on the court. They are the top in the country in assists/game. The assists come from everyone. They will move the ball, dribble penetrate and kick and all our bigs(use that lightly) will dish in the lane.
    [ ]Don't judge points per game as a reflection of our defense. We simply play up tempo so there are more possessions and more points. While we don't play great defense we did have 0.982 points per possession prior to UNC. We have never been deep on the bench and tend to play softer defense in the first half and tighten things up in the second half. This keeps guys out of foul trouble and fresh. UNC scored at will in the paint in the second half, not because we played poor defense but because Hogue and Kane had foul trouble.
    [ ]ISU has played and beaten long and tall teams. BYU, Iowa, KU, Baylor, Texas, etc. They simply know how to attack the height. Every game Cyclone fans wonder how ISU will beat the other team's length and every game they find a way.
    [ ]Don't read too much into the West Virgina game. ISU did not show up and West Virgina was amazing at home. Fred has that NBA coaching metality and consider that a throw away game.
    [ ]ISU will travel but there is no doubt this will be a home game for UConn.
    [ ]This team is clutch. They simply know and feel they will win. I think they have had 9 games(maybe 10) where they have come back from double digit deficits. Fred instills confidence inthe players, gives them freedom and they believe.
This should be a great game to watch. Will love seeing Kane and Napier on the court at the same time. I would expect Morris to defend Napier unless Boatwright gets hot. Other than that, who knows what ISU will do with 5 days to prepare and Niang out.

As for ISU fans....they do not have a feeling of entitlement. They do hate the Jayhawks and I am guessing that is why the poster stated that as he/she lives in Kansas. Don't take one poster's comments and paint a whole fanbase. ISU knows who UConn is and what they have done. Most ISU fans are very knowledgable when it comes to basketball and they respect UConn. We are on a fun ride right now so there is a lot of excitement
DOOOOOOOOMED

Reaction Score

1. [ ]ISU shot a ton of threes against UNC but that isn't this team's reputation. They shot them because they were making them and the short turn around with Niang being out.
    [ ]This team is tight and it shows on the court. They are the top in the country in assists/game. The assists come from everyone. They will move the ball, dribble penetrate and kick and all our bigs(use that lightly) will dish in the lane.
    [ ]Don't judge points per game as a reflection of our defense. We simply play up tempo so there are more possessions and more points. While we don't play great defense we did have 0.982 points per possession prior to UNC. We have never been deep on the bench and tend to play softer defense in the first half and tighten things up in the second half. This keeps guys out of foul trouble and fresh. UNC scored at will in the paint in the second half, not because we played poor defense but because Hogue and Kane had foul trouble.
    [ ]ISU has played and beaten long and tall teams. BYU, Iowa, KU, Baylor, Texas, etc. They simply know how to attack the height. Every game Cyclone fans wonder how ISU will beat the other team's length and every game they find a way.
    [ ]Don't read too much into the West Virgina game. ISU did not show up and West Virgina was amazing at home. Fred has that NBA coaching metality and consider that a throw away game.
    [ ]ISU will travel but there is no doubt this will be a home game for UConn.
    [ ]This team is clutch. They simply know and feel they will win. I think they have had 9 games(maybe 10) where they have come back from double digit deficits. Fred instills confidence inthe players, gives them freedom and they believe.

Nice post. I will say this, ISU is going up against the most dangerous player in the country with the game on the line. There is nobody in college hoops you would less rather see at the end of a close game and/or especially in OT than Mr. Napier. He is an assassin. He doesn't need plays run for him, he doesn't need help, he will break any single defender down off the dribble and break your heart from deep. If you can, check out his career stats in OT play. There is nobody like him.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
By the time you get to the Sweet Sixteen EVERY TEAM IS CLUTCH. A team can't get this far without knowing how perform at winning time.

Even without the BOLD CAPS I would agree with you. Every team playing this weekend is clutch and knows how to win at the end of a game. The difference is there is clutch, and then there is Bazz. I'm not talking about hitting a lucky jumper with :03 left on the clock, I'm talking about someone who will completely dominate a game in the last 5 minutes of play-- jumpers, drives, passes, free throws, steals -- the whole arsenal. Or haven't you been watching the last two years?

Reaction Score
By the time you get to the Sweet Sixteen EVERY TEAM IS CLUTCH. A team can't get this far without knowing how perform at winning time.
Tend to disagree with that. Florida, UCLA, Tennessee, Baylor, UCLA, Kentucky, have not really had a chance to be clutch or shown they can be clutch.

My only point is, ISU has done this all season long and are not afraid. Long has forced two OT's and against UNC made threes down the stretch to bring us back from 8 down. Strongest team mentally we have seen at ISU since Tinsley and Fizer. I would argue even stronger.

Don't take what I say wrong. I am not claiming ISU to be better than anyone just informing on strength and weaknesses. This will be a hell of a game.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Paid a visit to their board. Here's the thing about the Iowa St. fans.It WILL be a road game for them, and certainly they ARE good enough to win a road game, but most of them are pooh-poohing UCONN's presence at that the Garden.

That's fine and that's their prerogative, but then I don't want to go to their board after we beat them and see any posts bemoaning how unfair it was that a 7 seed got a home court advantage. Can't have it both ways Suckclones.

Reaction Score
Paid a visit to their board. Here's the thing about the Iowa St. fans.It WILL be a road game for them, and certainly they ARE good enough to win a road game, but most of them are pooh-poohing UCONN's presence at that the Garden.

That's fine and that's their prerogative, but then I don't want to go to their board after we beat them and see any posts bemoaning how unfair it was that a 7 seed got a home court advantage. Can't have it both ways Suckclones.
Most ISU fans I know were not happy with having to play UConn, Villanova, Virginia etc in MSG. Most wanted a 2/3 seed in the South or Midwest. Iowa state is undefeated on neutral floors but not so much on the road. All but one of our losses have occurred on the road.

As far as ISU boards go....There are two main boards for ISU. Cyclone Report and Cyclone Fanatic. Both good boards. cyclone Fanatic is a free board and you get a lot more college age posters and fly by night fans. Cyclone Report is a pay site and tends to be the more old school guys. Just keep in mind you get more of the "we are the greatest/indestrcutable" crowd on the free boards.

ISU fans in general are fans that have received more than their share of kicks to the family jewels. We generally wait for Lucy to pull the ball out. Prime example is the team playing as good as ever and then Niang's injury. I have never seen this fan base believe in someone/something as much as they do Hoiberg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom