2021 Recruiting: - Landers Nolley | Page 10 | The Boneyard

2021 Recruiting: Landers Nolley

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think we're just not on the same page with what a "4" skillset is in 2020. I really think of the 4 as what a 3 would've been during Calhoun's heyday. I haven't seen Whaley demonstrate any perimeter skill other than passing the ball and pivoting comfortably. He can't dribble or shoot consistently. And Whaley is going to need to hit a heck of a lot moer mid-range Js to be a shooter. What'd he go--5/25 this year? It's a nice wrinkle he could add, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Whaley's strength are rebounding, blocking shots, hedging hard and recovering on screens, and dunking the bejeezus out of the ball. He's also pretty solid at switching onto perimeter guys in a pinch defensively to be fair. That screams "undersized mobile 5" to me.

There's a reason Whaley didn't sniff the 4 until Sid went off the map, and Akok/Polley were injured. He isn't playing to his strengths when he plays there. And STILL played mostly the 5 instead of Carlton at that point. He needs to be near the hoop getting putback dunks and drive and dish lay-ins.

And one of the most exciting things about Springs is his ability to play inside and out. His skillset is developing, but at 6'10 he has a pretty solid stroke and driving ability. See here:

Edit:

Bunch of good highlights on Hoophustle as always too.

Glad to hear that about Springs.

I don’t agree that a modern 4 is just a small forward from the past. Richard Hamilton is not a 4 in any era. I view a modern 4 as a guy who can stretch the floor outside while also bringing rebounding, interior defense and a power post game. Al Horford for example. Giannis. Or eventually Akok we hope.

And while it is great to have all those tools, you can be a great college 4 without the three point shot. Igbanu at Tulsa dominated us in two games as an old school 4. Yes he can shoot a little bit, taking a three every other game. But he’s not a real threat out there. It’s only a requirement if you play four out offense at all times, which I don’t think we will do. There is still a place for traditional PF. And guys who lack those physical interior skills, like Polley, make lousy 4s even when they are tall enough.

Anyway, it will be exciting to see what Hurley does. He finally has a lot of roster options and flexibility. I expect we will see lots of guys playing all over the place. If Springs can play outside offensively as you suggest, I can definitely see him as the 4 on that side of the ball and a 5 on D when paired with Whaley. On the defensive end, Whaley is far better as a 4.

Reaction Score
This video was from August 2018. He probably envisioned he was a 3/4 but he grew into a 4/5.

By the time we see him pay he'll be over 2 years removed from this video with a full year of strength training and practice at Uconn.

He's quick for a big but Bouknight easily went around him when Springs was guarding him on the perimeter.

To be fair Bouknight wiped the floor with everyone in the gym

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
No reason to hurry either... Not like he can immediately come and practice.
He shouldn't hurry, but you gotta think he knows his options by now. Not much left to consider.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
To be fair Bouknight wiped the floor with everyone in the gym
/\ this.

And he still never broke his "I have no emotions" lack of facial expressions. I love this kid. He's an enigma so far (for me as a fan, in a great way). Just keep his Uber account topped off.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How much longer until everybody realizes he’s not even a top 2 coach in Tennessee?
If we go by the UConn previous coach scale, sometime next season (assuming a 1 year extra leash because of the championship)

Reaction Score
If we go by the UConn previous coach scale, sometime next season (assuming a 1 year extra leash because of the championship)
We obviously realize this. But the young kids love to play for big names. Also I know I’m in the minority but I don’t think he’s a bad coach. He’s not great. But he’s not bad.

Reaction Score
We obviously realize this. But the young kids love to play for big names. Also I know I’m in the minority but I don’t think he’s a bad coach. He’s not great. But he’s not bad.
He got some top Memphis recruits he used to coach to commit in 2019 and currently has 0 commits for 2020. Call me unimpressed

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
My thinking is if a kid has talked to Penney and DH, has seen how the last year played out for each program (what they started with vs where they landed) and understands where Hurley comes from...if said kid chooses Penney, that's 101% good for UConn.

Reaction Score
With Memphis involved we are going to need a bigger checkbook
I imagine that’s why Penny tried talking to the father. Always a red flag to me. I didn’t see much progression with the Memphis players this year but I do think Penny gets a few years of blue blood level recruiting before he either wins a championship or it tapers off. Memphis won’t get rid of him until kids stop signing.

Reaction Score
I imagine that’s why Penny tried talking to the father. Always a red flag to me. I didn’t see much progression with the Memphis players this year but I do think Penny gets a few years of blue blood level recruiting before he either wins a championship or it tapers off. Memphis won’t get rid of him until kids stop signing.
Penny winning a championship, bwahahaha.

Reaction Score
Talk about the need to take something totally out of context to make a point that really didn't need to be made..
1584702134493.png

Reaction Score
Give me a starting 5 of Cole-Bouk-Jackson-Nolley-Whaley. Vicious scoring. Big East small ball here we come!

My goodness that lineup gives me chills!! Nobody can convince me that lineup would not finish top 3 in the BE. Those 5 are ridiculously good plus off the bench we'd have Gaffney, Adams, Polley, Springs, Carlton, and Brown-Ferguson.

Reaction Score
My goodness that lineup gives me chills!! Nobody can convince me that lineup would not finish top 3 in the BE. Those 5 are ridiculously good plus off the bench we'd have Gaffney, Adams, Polley, Springs, Carlton, and Brown-Ferguson.
And if Sid isn’t here we’d have another scholly to use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger