2021 Recruiting: - Landers Nolley | Page 6 | The Boneyard

2021 Recruiting: Landers Nolley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Landers Nolley is a really good player....and will only be a sophomore next season. Of course he has areas that needs improvement. But this is an All Big East level player. Don’t overthink this
Seriously, how polished do some people expect a freshman to be? This kid certainly boosts the firepower of any program he goes to.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Before reading @bigknight3 post about Lolly's father's comments I was thinking Lolly looked a lot like Vance Jackson. @superjohn comments about the MSU game and @husky429 impression has won me over. If we can get Lolly it should be a significant get.

Lolly is on a team in which he can't play his position. Vance's situation during his year at UConn was similar to Lolly's at VT. Vance played a lot at the four because Steve refused to play defense and Juwaan hadn't fully recovered. I'm critical of KO for the way he treated players causing the exodus and the downward spiral that resulted. But regarding his policy of advocating defense or not playing players I was in total agreement. Hurley has the same stipulation about defense. The difference between Dan and post divorce Kevin is the manner in which they dealt with player(s) that disagreed with their coaching. If we lose a player under Hurley next season the loss will be isolated. Most players support Dan. Kevin after 2016, after his divorce, treated everyone badly. It was a 180 degree change from the person's relationship with people prior to the divorce. It ruined him and severely hurt the men's bb program.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Vance Sr. was correct, not just for his son but for any basketball player.
Exactly, doesn't the fact that Vance Sr. was right let him off the hook?

Last edited:

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Exactly, doesn't the fact that Vance Sr. right let him off the hook?

was he?

I think it’s become pretty clear that Vance was a stretch 4 who shouldn’t be doing all that much dribbling.

sounds like Vance Sr didn’t agree with that.

Reaction Score
Before reading @bigknight3 post about Lolly's father's comments I was thinking Lolly looked a lot like Vance Jackson. @superjohn comments about the MSU game and @husky429 impression has won me over. If we can get Lolly it should be a significant get.

Lolly is on a team in which he can't play his position. Vance's situation during his year at UConn was similar to Lolly's at VT. Vance played a lot at the four because Steve refused to play defense and Juwaan hadn't fully recovered. I'm critical of KO for the way he treated players causing the exodus and the downward spiral that resulted. But regarding his policy of advocating defense or not playing players I was in total agreement. Hurley has the same stipulation about defense. The difference between Dan and post divorce Kevin is the manner in which they dealt with player(s) that disagreed with their coaching. If we lose a player under Hurley next season the loss will be isolated. Most players support Dan. Kevin after 2016, after his divorce, treated everyone badly. It was a 180 degree change from the person's relationship with people prior to the divorce. It ruined him and severely hurt the men's bb program.
Lolly?

Really?

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
How about Polley and Nolley playing an away game at North Carolina State with our former basketball coach in attendance.
Mf doom?

Reaction Score
He looks to be an interesting player. I'm sure Hurley and company know what they're doing.

Reaction Score
From what I’m reading people are giving off a vibe that he will be immediately eligible? Is that true because I thought he’d be a sit 1 play 3. I’d love for him to become immediately eligible though. Also Hurley’s been talking about recruiting for two players. This would be the “Big Guard” he’s talking about. Are we in a good spot to get Etienne with a reclass?

Reaction Score
My first thought was YES! Then I worried about how he would fit in the line-up with Jackson and how we could keep them both happy. Then I remembered my first thought was probably the correct response. I don't care about his dad, his late season struggles when teams focused on him as their only scoring threat, his height or not wanting to play the 4. I just care about bringing in a top level talent sophomore who can free up Bouk, Jackson and Cole so they all can eat.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My first thought was YES! Then I worried about how he would fit in the line-up with Jackson and how we could keep them both happy. Then I remembered my first thought was probably the correct response. I don't care about his dad, his late season struggles when teams focused on him as their only scoring threat, his height or not wanting to play the 4. I just care about bringing in a top level talent sophomore who can free up Bouk, Jackson and Cole so they all can eat. Whether they're all on the floor at the same time or not, there's 20-25 minutes a game for all three and we'll have scorers on the court at all times. This would make my month. Jackson can start the season coming off the bench and we'll figure the rest out as we go along.
If we’re a NC contender everyone will be happy

Reaction Score
I just look at Kenpom for the end of the year to see if it was competition level...

First 10: Clemson 72, Coppin st 327, USC Upstate 325, Lehigh 304, Delaware St. 346, Michigan State 7, Dayton 4, BYU 13 , Duke 5, Chattannooga 147. Average = 155

Next 12: Gardner Webb 218 , Virginia MI 257, UME 349, Virginia 42, Cuse 51, NC State 50, Wake 103, Cuse 51, UNC 84, BC 179, Miami 104, FSU 15, Average = 125

Last 10: Georgia Tech 64, BC 179, Pitt 111 , Miami 104, Duke 5, UVA 42 , Louisville 9 , Clemson 72 , Notre Dame 57, UNC 84, Average = 73

So yeah, the competition level clearly went up. But at the same time, he actually shot pretty well versus the early high-level competition: 5/12 (4/6) vs MSU, 5/13 (3/6) vs Dayton, 3/7 (0/2) vs Duke. That's not bad versus the first 3 legit opponents. That's 41% from the floor and 50% from deep. Maybe the hot shooting start wasn't sustainable... or teams got the scout and figured out his weaknesses at the rim.

The middle groups had some decent teams... Virginia, NC State, and of course FSU. But no one that would end up ranked in the end.

And in the last couple months of the season or whatever it was... vs Duke 3/10 (1/5), Louisville 2/9 (0/4). Ugly.

Clearly played his best ball at the beginning of the season. But it didn't *seem* to be associated with the lower-ranked teams exclusively. Kid played 4 top 20 teams in a row and hammered them all at a high %. That was legit basketball versus really, really good teams.

My guess would be he got scouted well and his teammates couldn't do much to help--Virginia Tech sucked this year, ended up ranked 105. If teams figured out he can't drive right or finish well at the rim, they could sell out on the 3-ball and allow gross long 2s that he seemed to settle for so much in highlights. He also was just required as the only/best option on the team to take bad, bailout shots. The Tech offense is terrible. TERRIBLE. In the highlights (the highlights!!) It looks like they have 2-3 guys in the paint most of the time--totally disorganized. There's also just the mental component involved too that none of us could ever predict.

Thanks for the analysis. I figured you might take a deeper, more knowledgeable, look into these stats. I'm hoping he can complement JB and others and really make us dangerous.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
From what I’m reading people are giving off a vibe that he will be immediately eligible? Is that true because I thought he’d be a sit 1 play 3. I’d love for him to become immediately eligible though. Also Hurley’s been talking about recruiting for two players. This would be the “Big Guard” he’s talking about. Are we in a good spot to get Etienne with a reclass?

RE: immediate eligibility

Reaction Score
FYI Memphis, Nebraska and Seton Hall all reached out. Apparently his list of schools has reached 40. Hopefully we can close this. Otherwise it looks like a long drawn out process with some heavy hitter$ involved. Maybe that's why we cast such a large net. If we can't get Nolley, I would prefer a re-class freshman big and maybe shooter.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Someone on twitter posted that the players were following him on instagram and commenting. That definitely means we are getting him.
It's a favorable tidbit, but "strong likelihood" seems extreme. Anything else?

Reaction Score

@Cuse Socks mentioned this on page 1 but this article screams red flags from the father's comments. Could easily insert Vance Jackson for Landers Nolley and the article would read the same.

Quotes fruition Nolley's father in the article:
“We gave it a shot, and it just didn’t work out like we expected,” Nolley’s father said in a phone interview. “We just want to find the best situation, the best fit for him, … what’s best for him as far as basketball and his future. We’ve just got to find a situation that fits his abilities, what he is.

“With the way they’re playing him right now, he hasn’t been been able to really show his full package,” his father had said in a January interview. “He’s a 2/3 [off-guard/small forward]. They’ve got him playing in that post position and setting screens and that’s not his position. … I’ll be interested to see what he looks like if he has the opportunity to play his natural position. That’ll be a good look.”

Blurb from a Courant article on Vance Jackson in 2017:
Coach Kevin Ollie consistently called for Jackson to improve on defense, and as Jackson transferred out, his father, Vance Sr., indicated that the Huskies' offense was not a good fit for his skills.

"he hasn’t been been able to really show his full package,” his father had said in a January interview.
Hurley doesn't strike me as a guy who'll let Nolley show his full package either. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom