2021 Recruiting: - Landers Nolley | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2021 Recruiting: Landers Nolley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nolley is actually very similar to Bouknight when it comes to attacking to score, once they get the ball in their hands they are thinking what’s the most efficient/easiest way to get this ball into the hoop.

He has one of the best pull-up jumpers as well as mid-range jumpers in the entire nation. He’s not gonna give you much when it comes to passing, defense, & creating for others, but is ultimately a true scorer. He’s someone I can see who can average 20.0 ppg for the rest of his college career.

Having him & Bouknight on the wings would be fun to watch, especially offensively!

Go get him Hurley!

He isn't good at attacking the rim and no one should be looking for mid-range Js on this team. He has size and can hit the 3 ball--that is enough to get a scholly at 99% of schools in D1 ball.

Reaction Score
The VT fan base seems to hate this kid. Calling him a ball hog, inefficient, saying he cared about himself and not the team. Some of this is just bitter fans upset that a player is leaving but there aren’t too many of them saying this is a big loss. Idk guys...
Forget the transfers out, have you seen what this board says about the guys who stay?

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I don’t like his tape. He takes FAR too many low % shots and takes way too many defensive possessions off. I do like his size and his agility for his size though.

Reaction Score
I don’t like his tape. He takes FAR too many low % shots and takes way too many defensive possessions off. I do like his size and his agility for his size though.

He needs to improve on his 3pt shooting but was asked a lot from him as a freshman. Would love someone with a dagger but a solid wing will help us with depth in the position especially with Polley injured at the moment. I’m sure he knows his weaknesses and the competition we have.

Reaction Score

@Cuse Socks mentioned this on page 1 but this article screams red flags from the father's comments. Could easily insert Vance Jackson for Landers Nolley and the article would read the same.

Quotes fruition Nolley's father in the article:
“We gave it a shot, and it just didn’t work out like we expected,” Nolley’s father said in a phone interview. “We just want to find the best situation, the best fit for him, … what’s best for him as far as basketball and his future. We’ve just got to find a situation that fits his abilities, what he is.

“With the way they’re playing him right now, he hasn’t been been able to really show his full package,” his father had said in a January interview. “He’s a 2/3 [off-guard/small forward]. They’ve got him playing in that post position and setting screens and that’s not his position. … I’ll be interested to see what he looks like if he has the opportunity to play his natural position. That’ll be a good look.”

Blurb from a Courant article on Vance Jackson in 2017:
Coach Kevin Ollie consistently called for Jackson to improve on defense, and as Jackson transferred out, his father, Vance Sr., indicated that the Huskies' offense was not a good fit for his skills.

Reaction Score

@Cuse Socks mentioned this on page 1 but this article screams red flags from the father's comments. Could easily insert Vance Jackson for Landers Nolley and the article would read the same.

“We gave it a shot, and it just didn’t work out like we expected,” Nolley’s father said in a phone interview. “We just want to find the best situation, the best fit for him, … what’s best for him as far as basketball and his future. We’ve just got to find a situation that fits his abilities, what he is.

“With the way they’re playing him right now, he hasn’t been been able to really show his full package,” his father had said in a January interview. “He’s a 2/3 [off-guard/small forward]. They’ve got him playing in that post position and setting screens and that’s not his position. … I’ll be interested to see what he looks like if he has the opportunity to play his natural position. That’ll be a good look.”

Coach Kevin Ollie consistently called for Jackson to improve on defense, and as Jackson transferred out, his father, Vance Sr., indicated that the Huskies' offense was not a good fit for his skills.
Every game I watched Vance at UNM he didn’t play D and hung out on the perimeter and took God awful shots.

Reaction Score

Vance Sr. was correct, not just for his son but for any basketball player. This was the year after Vance left, but I don't think people remember how bad of a job KO was at putting together a plan on offense after 2016:

Reaction Score
Aside from whether KO we right/wrong or good/bad at his job. I just thought the comments were eerily similar.

Especially coming off a year an end of year run where a smaller Brendan Adams was forced into playing the 4 position for us due to injuries but we had success with a 4 guard lineup.

Would Nolley's father be in his ear and be upset about being asked to do the little things like screen, defend and rebound if he saw minutes at the 4 for us???

There's minutes for us available at the 2/3. But him at the 4 in a 4-guard lineup could also be our most effective lineup with Whally at the 5.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

This isn't great.

Reaction Score
Aside from whether KO we right/wrong or good/bad at his job. I just thought the comments were eerily similar.

Especially coming off a year an end of year run where a smaller Brendan Adams was forced into playing the 4 position for us due to injuries but we had success with a 4 guard lineup.

Would Nolley's father be in his ear and be upset about being asked to do the little things like screen, defend and rebound if he saw minutes at the 4 for us???

There's minutes for us available at the 2/3. But him at the 4 in a 4-guard lineup could also be our most effective lineup with Whally at the 5.

I think the difference is Hurley tells it like it is and won't give lip service to a kid or their dad. He gives candid feedback about a player's skills, areas for improvement, and how that can be incorporated into an existing lineup and well thought out offensive/defensive scheme. Trust in Hurley.

Reaction Score
“He’s a 2/3 [off-guard/small forward].
a 6'7 230 lbs SG in college i dont think so. players regularly drop down a position when they go from college to the pros due to the size difference, just look at the 2020 lottery: obi toppin C to PF, anthony edwards SF to SG, precious achiuwa C to PF/SF. there's a bunch every year. he should make a seamless transition playing PF in college and then SF in the nba if he's good enough

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I really hope this happens. I would like to see him at the 4 with the ability to stretch the floor. I think we all saw at the end of the year after akok went down how much better the floor spacing and ball movement was with 4 guards and a big. If we are able to get a guy like Nolley who can play outside and still be big enough to rebound would be a good addition! If we play smaller we already have plenty of bigs with Whaley, Carlton, Springs, Javonte Brown Ferguson, Polley and Akok. Just my opinion.

Reaction Score
FWIW, I’ve read that Nolley spent significant time playing the 5 at Virginia Tech this year. Don’t think he would ever be asked to do that here, except maybe in some weird end-of-game five guard lineups for short stretches. With Whaley, Carlton, Springs, and hopefully Akok, we have plenty of bigger dudes on the roster.

He would definitely play some small ball/stretch 4 though. Feel like that would be the case at a lot of schools.

Reaction Score
He’s a 2-4 player in a small ball system. They’d like his role here. We are young and adding a kid with some experience but more than one year of eligibility would be nice.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Nolley is actually very similar to Bouknight when it comes to attacking to score, once they get the ball in their hands they are thinking what’s the most efficient/easiest way to get this ball into the hoop.

He has one of the best pull-up jumpers as well as mid-range jumpers in the entire nation. He’s not gonna give you much when it comes to passing, defense, & creating for others, but is ultimately a true scorer. He’s someone I can see who can average 20.0 ppg for the rest of his college career.

Having him & Bouknight on the wings would be fun to watch, especially offensively!

Go get him Hurley!
If he comes to Uconn he will learn how to play defense. No days off.

Reaction Score
FWIW, I’ve read that Nolley spent significant time playing the 5 at Virginia Tech this year. Don’t think he would ever be asked to do that here, except maybe in some weird end-of-game five guard lineups for short stretches. With Whaley, Carlton, Springs, and hopefully Akok, we have plenty of bigger dudes on the roster
To this point, check out the starting lineup at Virginia Tech. They started 6’1 6’2” 6’3” 6’5” and then Nolley at 6’7” was their tallest starter.

Pretty understandable why Nolley would want a different role. If he is starting at Center in the ACC, that means he is guarding dudes like Vernon Carey, etc.

Edit: apparently their 6’5” guy guarded Carey, my bad! That’s some Houston Rockets level small ball though

Reaction Score
To this point, check out the starting lineup at Virginia Tech. They started 6’1 6’2” 6’3” 6’5” and then Nolley at 6’7” was their tallest starter.

Pretty understandable why Nolley would want a different role. If he is starting at Center in the ACC, that means he is guarding dudes like Vernon Carey, etc.

Edit: apparently their 6’5” guy guarded Carey, my bad! That’s some Houston Rockets level small ball though

Thanks for clarifying.

Reaction Score
As you’ll see below, Virginia Tech was 344th in average height, with no high major team remotely close to as short as them. It’s crazy they couldn’t recruit any big besides a reclassified Ojiako. So yes, Nolley played the post all year, but it’s really not his skillset at all. He has more ball skill than plenty of 3s across the country. If he played any 4 here, it would be out on the perimeter like Adams did at the end of the year.

73532A7C-ED8F-4EC3-8BBD-DCDD87494EB1.jpeg

Reaction Score
I love Nolley for his shooting, and that enough is reason to get him. Obviously we hope that Polley can return close to what he was, but with Vital gone and Jackson still a work in progress from deep, we'll need all the help we can get.

Honestly I was pretty underwhelmed by his athleticism - not particularly quick or capable of changing direction, and for a 6'7" guy he seemed to only barely dunk even on open breakaways. Still would take him in a heartbeat though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom