2021 Recruiting: - Landers Nolley | Page 9 | The Boneyard

2021 Recruiting: Landers Nolley

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Nolley said he wants to play on the wing more, which coincidentally is how the 4 plays in Hurley's system. He'd be a 3/4 for Hurley, just like Jackson and Polley are

Hurley doesn't have a "way" the 4 plays. Whaley will probably start at the 4 next season and he doesn't play that way. In fact, he does exactly what Nolley said he doesn't want to do, set screens etc. Springs as well, and he's also a 4 (and some 5 probably). I don't think we should read too much into how we played when we didn't have enough players.

I'm not saying that we might not play Jackson or Nolley there at times in certain lineups, we could. But it's clearly not the primary role. I think Hurley wants interchangeable SG/SF. He wants to be big at the 2 spot.

Reaction Score
Hurley doesn't have a "way" the 4 plays. Whaley will probably start at the 4 next season and he doesn't play that way. In fact, he does exactly what Nolley said he doesn't want to do, set screens etc. Springs as well, and he's also a 4 (and some 5 probably). I don't think we should read too much into how we played when we didn't have enough players.

I'm not saying that we might not play Jackson or Nolley there at times in certain lineups, we could. But it's clearly not the primary role. I think Hurley wants interchangeable SG/SF. He wants to be big at the 2 spot.
We'll see but Hurley played with 4 guards/wings that way at URI, and he's talked about playing the same way here even before we were short-handed.

I'm just completely on the opposite end of you with the split of Whaley/Springs and Jackson/addition at the 4. I'd expect Jackson/Polley/Nolley to get the majority of minutes with Whaley and Springs getting the occasional minutes at the 4

Reaction Score
You talking about Jackson? He isn't a power forward and he doesn't need to sit. He should play a lot at the 3 spot....could maybe play small ball 4 in a pinch but isn't defined as a PF as you state.

Whaley or Springs could play the 4. Polley can also play a smallish 4. Akok is obviously a 4 once he comes back (hopefully second half of the year).

Agreed with rolling out the red carpet though. Take this guy in a heartbeat and don't look back.

I was just head-scratching that guys aren't interested in the only 2 PF recruits we're after.

Because after Springs, Jackson is the next closest thing. And really, he's more of a 1 than a 4.

Reaction Score

What do you want to bet Whaley does not start at the 4 next season?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
What do you want to bet Whaley does not start at the 4 next season?

It really depends on who is on our roster, doesn't it? We don't know yet. Whaley is not a 5. I don't think Hurley views him as a 5. I think Hurley played him there out of desperation. And while the team played well that way for the most part, he was completely unable to defend guys like Vogt.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
VT fans seem to be really upset with his father for announcing that he will be jumping to the NBA mid-season.

Reaction Score
It really depends on who is on our roster, doesn't it? We don't know yet. Whaley is not a 5. I don't think Hurley views him as a 5. I think Hurley played him there out of desperation. And while the team played well that way for the most part, he was completely unable to defend guys like Vogt.

Kind of depends how you define it. He has a 4s body, but a 5s skillset. And only played the 4 when we were desperate late last season. Not sure I agree with the assessment that Hurley views him as a 4. He cannot play the 4 well in our system because he can't shoot or be a triple threat on handoffs.

Reaction Score
Kind of depends how you define it. He has a 4s body, but a 5s skillset. And only played the 4 when we were desperate late last season. Not sure I agree with the assessment that Hurley views him as a 4. He cannot play the 4 well in our system because he can't shoot or be a triple threat on handoffs.
Matchup dependant he's a 5...

He's undersized in height but that's where he played best. He's added the strength to be able to play there against most bigs. And his jumping ability makes up for 2-3 inches in height.

Sophomore year Carlton was our best center. Junior year Whaley was.

Let them fight it out in camp to see who starts. Who backs up will depend on how they compare to the effectiveness of the other bigs on the roster (Springs/Brown-Ferguson)

If Whaley is overmatched due to the size of the opposing teams center, then throw Carlton and Javonte Brown Ferguson at him.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Hurley was starting him at the 4 at the end of the year after Akok got hurt. Hurley brought in Springs to play the 4 and he can't shoot from outside. A four who can shoot and stretch the floor is a nice to have match-up based option, not a requirement. Since Whaley flashed a little short range jumper, I think he's perfectly well equipped to be a 4 for us and has a traditional PF game, not a 5's game.

Meanwhile, it sounds like Polley will be ready to go, so we can use him as our stretch 4 off the bench when needed. All assuming we don't land somebody else who is eligible.

Reaction Score
Hurley was starting him at the 4 at the end of the year after Akok got hurt. Hurley brought in Springs to play the 4 and he can't shoot from outside. A four who can shoot and stretch the floor is a nice to have match-up based option, not a requirement. Since Whaley flashed a little short range jumper, I think he's perfectly well equipped to be a 4 for us and has a traditional PF game, not a 5's game.

Meanwhile, it sounds like Polley will be ready to go, so we can use him as our stretch 4 off the bench when needed. All assuming we don't land somebody else who is eligible.

I think we're just not on the same page with what a "4" skillset is in 2020. I really think of the 4 as what a 3 would've been during Calhoun's heyday. I haven't seen Whaley demonstrate any perimeter skill other than passing the ball and pivoting comfortably. He can't dribble or shoot consistently. And Whaley is going to need to hit a heck of a lot moer mid-range Js to be a shooter. What'd he go--5/25 this year? It's a nice wrinkle he could add, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Whaley's strength are rebounding, blocking shots, hedging hard and recovering on screens, and dunking the bejeezus out of the ball. He's also pretty solid at switching onto perimeter guys in a pinch defensively to be fair. That screams "undersized mobile 5" to me.

There's a reason Whaley didn't sniff the 4 until Sid went off the map, and Akok/Polley were injured. He isn't playing to his strengths when he plays there. And STILL played mostly the 5 instead of Carlton at that point. He needs to be near the hoop getting putback dunks and drive and dish lay-ins.

And one of the most exciting things about Springs is his ability to play inside and out. His skillset is developing, but at 6'10 he has a pretty solid stroke and driving ability. See here:

Edit:

Bunch of good highlights on Hoophustle as always too.

Last edited:

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score

Hurley himself said in one of the pregame sounds that it’s a struggle having JC and IW on the floor at the same time because the staff sees them both as 5’s. Think he would start them together so we could try to feed Josh early before he got gassed (so you know, feed him on our first 2-3 possessions lol), with Whaley there to draw away some help D.

Reaction Score

It's 2020, a traditional 4 isn't someone who can't shoot anymore. A 4 who can shoot is not a matchup based option, it's a necessity

Reaction Score
I'm thinking the improvement in his jumper will bring even more to the table next year from the 10-15 foot area and he will be fine as a 4 on occasion. He's certainly athletic enough to guard 4's that are smaller. Not taking Josh out of the formula but if he IW and Springs turn out similar they will spend time out there with 3 "guards".

Lots of questions but I like the fact they will have answers or so it seems. With AG going I would love to see Eaddy and Nolley come in.

Reaction Score
Happy most of us are on the same page...

And one of the most exciting things about Springs is his ability to play inside and out. His skillset is developing, but at 6'10 he has a pretty solid stroke and driving ability. See here:

Edit:

Bunch of good highlights on Hoophustle as always too.

Where's the video of Bouknight and Springs going at it in s small gym 2 years ago. Springs can shoot and looks natural doing it.

Whaley's shot is mechanic cause he's trying to add the skill set but it doesn't come natural to him.

That's why no one knew what to do with Whaley. As a freshman he was already one of our best defenders he showed flagged of defensive and rebounding talent. But he didn't have the offensive skills or bbiq of the offense so he looked list at times. So he didn't look like an effective 4 and had no strength to play the 5.

He got no run sophomore year. No clue if that was fair or not. But junior year, he put it all together, added strength, understanding of his role in offensive sets and screening, and was locked in on his defensive role (hedge hard and recover, rebound) and he became our best 5.

Reaction Score
I like what I saw from Springs in this video. He looks like he's more of a 3/4 than a 4/5. I see he's quick, has handle and pull up well for a 4. If we pair that with Hurley's quotes on his rebounding ability then he can develop into a nice starter for us over the next couple years.

This video was from August 2018. He probably envisioned he was a 3/4 but he grew into a 4/5.

By the time we see him pay he'll be over 2 years removed from this video with a full year of strength training and practice at Uconn.

He's quick for a big but Bouknight easily went around him when Springs was guarding him on the perimeter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom