2021 Recruiting: - Landers Nolley | Page 22 | The Boneyard

2021 Recruiting: Landers Nolley

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Carlton got benched for bad D and TOs after the wichita/nova games. Whaley's solid play forced Coach's hand. Had to play Whaley. Stats from those last 14 games:

Whaley:
9.8 PPG
7.6 REB
0.9 AST
1.3 TO
2.1 BLK
1.0 STL
2.8 PF
19.1 minutes per
60% FG
77% FT (3.4 attempts)

Carlton:
5.1 PTS
5.2 REB
0.7 AST
1.5 TO
0.7 BLK
0.4 STL
3.1 PF
18.4 mpg
47% FT (1.1 attempts per)
51% FG

Whaley scores more, and more effeciently. He rebounded more, got to the line more and shot it better there. The biggest difference to me is that Whaley elevates our defense. Well over 4 blocks per 40 is great.

Both of them foul too much. I'd love to see Whaley get 10/8 with 25mpg and great D as our starting center next year.

I'd also love Carlton to do the same thing. But I'm just not sure our style of play suits him.

He is a terrible match for our style of play. He’s slow and can’t hedge on screens and recover quickly. it will be interesting to see how much Javonte Brown Ferguson plays. I’m a bit surprised he came back.

I understand people are excited about the play from IW late last year. But he showed no ability to defend the true post players we faced. Vogt manhandled him and so did igbanu. He was very disruptive on D, yes, but mostly that was his great work disrupting screens and switching. For us he’s a 5 on offense and a 4 on defense. I don’t think we can or should play him as our only big except where that’s a good situational matchup.

Point being, Nolley isn’t going to want to be the “second big”. It’s a role he is transferring out of. He’s going to want to be a wing.

Reaction Score
He is a terrible match for our style of play. He’s slow and can’t hedge on screens and recover quickly. it will be interesting to see how much Javonte Brown Ferguson plays. I’m a bit surprised he came back.

I understand people are excited about the play from IW late last year. But he showed no ability to defend the true post players we faced. Vogt manhandled him and so did igbanu. He was very disruptive on D, yes, but mostly that was his great work disrupting screens and switching. For us he’s a 5 on offense and a 4 on defense. I don’t think we can or should play him as our only big except where that’s a good situational matchup.

Point being, Nolley isn’t going to want to be the “second big”. It’s a role he is transferring out of. He’s going to want to be a wing.
He can play on the wing as a 4. Adams and Polley have been doing it here and the offense benefited from it despite Adams putting up ugly numbers. Nolley isn’t a super athletic kid, so with the amount of teams that play 3 guards, no matter what school he chooses he wouldn’t be playing the 3 all of the time. He just wants to be on the perimeter in a 4 out system rather than the 5 like he had to for the lollipop guild at VT this season.

Reaction Score
He can play on the wing as a 4. Adams and Polley have been doing it here and the offense benefited from it despite Adams putting up ugly numbers. Nolley isn’t a super athletic kid, so with the amount of teams that play 3 guards, no matter what school he chooses he wouldn’t be playing the 3 all of the time. He just wants to be on the perimeter in a 4 out system rather than the 5 like he had to for the lollipop guild at VT this season.

^^^ THIS ^^^

Too much concern about 3,4,5 just play basketball and play DH's system all will work out. Who was the 3,4 or 5 when they were playing Gilbert, Vital, Adams and Gaffney on O? They will make it work if he really wants to come here I promise and you will have only Whaley in the line up often as the only "big" so there will be no 5 actually either. Just numbers, come here and play on offense in multiple spots to suit your game.

And by the way if Josh does what he needs to in order to be the player he was 2 years ago, or even better, he will be getting his minutes. I saw a few things in the last couple of games in which he was already changing his game back. Now physically getting some feet back over the summer he can be a difference for us also. Up to him!

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

I prioritize defense when thinking about what position people play. I don't care about inside-outside so much, except I dislike playing the 4 outside most of the time. I like a 4 that can pop out and force his man to chase, but who can catch the ball and post his man, rebound and get garbage baskets. But really, a 4 needs to be able to defend somebody the size and skillset of Igbanu from Tulsa.

Yes we played Adams at the 4 late in the year because the two better options, Akok and Polley, were hurt and the third option, Sid was either suspended or ineffective. The next best option was Springs and he was ineligible. Our offense improved and our defense went in the toilet. Dan is a defense first coach.

We can all debate this until the end of time. It will be whatever it is. I expect Dan to mix and match his lineups based on who is playing well and the opponent.

Edit: @mauconnfan Adams was the 4 in that lineup, which meant he had to change his game and set ball screens and defend the 4. Hurley has his 4 setting ball screens. Based on his comments, I don't think Nolley wants to be that guy. That's all I'm saying.

Reaction Score
I prioritize defense when thinking about what position people play. I don't care about inside-outside so much, except I dislike playing the 4 outside most of the time. I like a 4 that can pop out and force his man to chase, but who can catch the ball and post his man, rebound and get garbage baskets. But really, a 4 needs to be able to defend somebody the size and skillset of Igbanu from Tulsa.

Yes we played Adams at the 4 late in the year because the two better options, Akok and Polley, were hurt and the third option, Sid was either suspended or ineffective. The next best option was Springs and he was ineligible. Our offense improved and our defense went in the toilet. Dan is a defense first coach.

We can all debate this until the end of time. It will be whatever it is. I expect Dan to mix and match his lineups based on who is playing well and the opponent.

Edit: @mauconnfan Adams was the 4 in that lineup, which meant he had to change his game and set ball screens and defend the 4. Hurley has his 4 setting ball screens. Based on his comments, I don't think Nolley wants to be that guy. That's all I'm saying.
It'd be nice if Springs has physically done the work to improve his body to become a defensive force (or at least effective defensively) at the 4.

From all the videos I've seen (1 to 2 years old) he's effective offensively and reports are he's an above average rebounder. If he has a complete game, and can contribute defensively that would be the answer we're looking for.

It's a complete question mark whether that's too much to expect in his first year of play as we move into the Big East.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I don’t think it’s worth belaboring this point any further either, but for what it’s worth, it was the 5 man coming out to set the majority of the screens for us this year. Granted, I didn’t like that part of our offense because Whaley and Carlton bring nothing by getting touches on the perimeter.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I don’t think it’s worth belaboring this point any further either, but for what it’s worth, it was the 5 man coming out to set the majority of the screens for us this year. Granted, I didn’t like that part of our offense because Whaley and Carlton bring nothing by getting touches on the perimeter.

Oh, I agree. But in that small ball lineup Mau mentioned he had Adams doing it. I hated it with Carlton especially. Akok and Polley were better choices.

Reaction Score

Why is this so hard for folks to understand? No one is saying that we can't be effective with Nolley playing the 4, meaning we have a 4 perimeter player lineup. People are saying he doesn't want to come here to play the 4, even if it's more important on defense than offense. He wants to train for the NBA as a 3.

Reaction Score
It may sound strange but it's a bit of a turn-off when a kid cuts his transfer destination list to ELEVEN.. I understand he's a high level talent but I'd totally be okay with the Vaughn kid, call it a day and go to battle with what we have.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If this kid fits in with the staff's plans and understand what is expected of him then let's welcome him
If he thinks he comes in and everyone bends over for his dreams, ala Vance, screw him and he can go to New Mexico
You can't fit a square peg in a round hole
Why are people trying to fit kids in certain schemes? DH is a freelancer (as far as I can see) and having the ability to accept and be flexible is utmost for any player on the team

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
LOL. At least most people said no. I still have faith that Carlton can come out and be a very good player next year.
Me too. We tried to make him a banger down low and it didn't work out. It reminds me of the KFree at the 3 experiment. It was a good thought but it didn't pan out.

I strongly suspect Sal will revise his plan to utilize Josh's strengths and comfort zone. He'll keep working on upper body and core strength, but cut down on his bulk to improve his speed/quickness.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It may sound strange but it's a bit of a turn-off when a kid cuts his transfer destination list to ELEVEN.
It's just a number, maybe it's an inside joke.

Reaction Score
I never mentioned Carlton. But think about sophomore Carlton. Would he start? Yes. So I trust the staff to put out the right guys. Playing small is something teams do when they have no talented bigs. It’s what he did at URI because he had no choice. Same at the end on last season. If you have talented size you play big.
this would be a nonissue if carlton had kept improving after his sophomore year. that's exactly what i mean when i say it's a matter of personnel.

but if you have nolley at the 3 and carlton on the bench then you must have springs and whaley at the 4/5 in which case you're still sacrificing talent for size. and springs is even more of an unknown heading into next year than carlton

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Have a feeling his recruitment will continue to stretch out and Hurley and Co will not wait.
There usually is a good reason why some of these recruitments are drawn out. Typically, once a final 3 or 5 is revealed, the reason becomes clear. Follow the trail and draw your own conclusion.

Reaction Score
Have a feeling his recruitment will continue to stretch out and Hurley and Co will not wait.

As they shouldn't. That's what's costed us a lot of recruits the past several years. We would tell 4 star recruits to hold off, miss out on 5 star recruits, and ended up with 3 star recruits. We'll take whoever decides they want to be here first.

Reaction Score
As they shouldn't. That's what's costed us a lot of recruits the past several years. We would tell 4 star recruits to hold off, miss out on 5 star recruits, and ended up with 3 star recruits. We'll take whoever decides they want to be here first.
Nope, that's not how it works.

Reaction Score
Nope, that's not how it works.

So, serious question, assuming we only have 1 open scholarship, you'd tell Vaughn and Martin to wait if the staff feels they have a decent shot at Nolley?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom