2021 Recruiting: - Landers Nolley | Page 21 | The Boneyard

2021 Recruiting: Landers Nolley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I hope you're right, but Dan started Whaley and Carlton instead of Adams or Gilbert after Akok went down. That makes me uneasy.

We were already starting 3 guards and had no other options. I'd say this was an extenuating circumstance.

Reaction Score
I hope you're right, but Dan started Whaley and Carlton instead of Adams or Gilbert after Akok went down. That makes me uneasy.
That's fair, but look at the next 35 minutes of every game and we basically had Adams and Sid at the 4 every game. Carlton and Whaley were rarely on the floor after the start

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
The 4 on the the national championship winning UNC team you mention was Justin Jackson, who is 6'8 193. But sure let's hear more about how Nolley can't work as a 4

Isaiah Hicks and Kennedy Meeks started 39 and 40 games for that team.

and I certainly wasn’t saying your last point. It seems pretty clear he’s a stretch 4 in hurley’s system.

Reaction Score
Isaiah Hicks and Kennedy Meeks started 39 and 40 games for that team.

and I certainly wasn’t saying your last point. It seems pretty clear he’s a stretch 4 in hurley’s system.
On the championship team Hicks started 3 games.

C5D82AA7-BB99-440B-8F9E-96B4D28CDD94.jpeg

the Q

Reaction Score

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
That's fair, but look at the next 35 minutes of every game and we basically had Adams and Sid at the 4 every game. Carlton and Whaley were rarely on the floor after the start
I also have a hard time believing Dan is gonna bench senior Carlton, and you'd think that Carlton wouldn't stay to be a backup after starting for 3 years. But hopefully you're right.

the Q

Reaction Score
I also have a hard time believing Dan is gonna bench senior Carlton, and you'd think that Carlton wouldn't stay to be a backup after starting for 3 years. But hopefully you're right.

Nolley isn’t coming here to backup Carlton either...

Reaction Score
If senior Whaley beats him out for his spot what does Carlton have to be upset about???

Reaction Score
Our starting 4 is Springs/Polley or a recruit. Whaley has the skillset of a 5 and will play there--likely starting. He may be a 4 on some other team, but not ours. Hurley plays 4 on the perimeter. Why would we ever put Whaley there?

Reaction Score
Carlton and Whaley might both start. I've never put much stock into the starting lineup over the closing lineup

Reaction Score
Our starting 4 is Springs/Polley or a recruit. Whaley has the skillset of a 5 and will play there--likely starting. He may be a 4 on some other team, but not ours. Hurley plays 4 on the perimeter. Why would we ever put Whaley there?
We need a boneyard poll... Is Whaley a 4 or a 5. I agree with you he's best suited to play the 5

Reaction Score
We need a boneyard poll... Is Whaley a 4 or a 5. I agree with you he's best suited to play the 5

I just rewatched his highlight from February on when he was playing well. I remembered him starting but not playing the 4 much. I don't know if that's true or not, but he was certainly not making plays at the 4. I think all but a few of the highlights in the last 7 mins of the video are him playing the 5.

People are forgetting carlton was borderline unplayable the past 6 weeks of the season.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I’m all in favor of the kids wanting to enjoy their recruiting and having edits of their final schools. But honest question, what’s the point of “cutting down” to a final 11 schools as a transfer? Seems like a bit much.

Uhhh, let's see:
1. Cynically, you could say it keeps him in the limelight for another week or two while he makes the decision on who the final finalists will be; or
2. Maybe it just gets the bulk of the coaches calling him out of the picture so he can try to get a better feel for the ones remaining since with the travel policies in place it's much tougher to get a feel for who you can trust.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
roscoe was an inch taller but nolley has 15-20 pounds on him. just b/c he "thinks" he's a guard doesnt mean he is one. everyone wants to be like curry and harden these days

if carlton is starting than we wont have our 5 most talented guys on the floor. polley or gaffney or AJ would be on the bench. we are loaded in the backcourt and on the wing but nolley fills the hole at stretch 4 better than anyone else so it's a matter of personnel

I never mentioned Carlton. But think about sophomore Carlton. Would he start? Yes. So I trust the staff to put out the right guys. Playing small is something teams do when they have no talented bigs. It’s what he did at URI because he had no choice. Same at the end on last season. If you have talented size you play big.

Reaction Score
I just rewatched his highlight from February on when he was playing well. I remembered him starting but not playing the 4 much. I don't know if that's true or not, but he was certainly not making plays at the 4. I think all but a few of the highlights in the last 7 mins of the video are him playing the 5.

People are forgetting carlton was borderline unplayable the past 6 weeks of the season.
You mean we won’t be playing our nba caliber senior center??

Poll: Will Carlton make it to the NBA

Reaction Score
The 4 on the the national championship winning UNC team you mention was Justin Jackson, who is 6'8 193. But sure let's hear more about how Nolley can't work as a 4
Not true. in 2016 Brice Johnson and Meeks were the bigs, in 2017 Hicks and Meeks were the bigs. Justin Jackson is a wing.

Reaction Score
Carlton got benched for bad D and TOs after the wichita/nova games. Whaley's solid play forced Coach's hand. Had to play Whaley. Stats from those last 14 games:

Whaley:
9.8 PPG
7.6 REB
0.9 AST
1.3 TO
2.1 BLK
1.0 STL
2.8 PF
19.1 minutes per
60% FG
77% FT (3.4 attempts)

Carlton:
5.1 PTS
5.2 REB
0.7 AST
1.5 TO
0.7 BLK
0.4 STL
3.1 PF
18.4 mpg
47% FT (1.1 attempts per)
51% FG

Whaley scores more, and more effeciently. He rebounded more, got to the line more and shot it better there. The biggest difference to me is that Whaley elevates our defense. Well over 4 blocks per 40 is great.

Both of them foul too much. I'd love to see Whaley get 10/8 with 25mpg and great D as our starting center next year.

I'd also love Carlton to do the same thing. But I'm just not sure our style of play suits him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom