Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 93 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

Reaction Score
I wonder if Dan saw an offer that pays him less than Bill Self and felt insulted. Especially since UConn must’ve known about the Kentucky interest.

They shoulda had a lifetime contract ready for him on the plane back to Connecticut, making him the highest paid coach in the sport, the day after the championship game.

It was a massive failure by the state not to have this done well before the Lakers realized he was still an option. Hopefully that ‘can’t say no’ offer is waiting on his desk when he comes back.
1717825292245.gif

Reaction Score

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Not to keep with the side track, but that is the Kobe situation. He demanded to go to LA. Charlotte drafted him and he refused to play elsewhere.

Part of why I disliked him from the start of his career, especially compared to his draft classmates.

Wasn't Kobe from LA? I can't fault anyone for wanting to play for his hometown team.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Wish I hadn't stayed up for this one.
What is mulling anyway?
Who mulls over stuff the entire weekend when they know where their heart is?
Nobody, that's who.
He'll be done mulling by noon or earlier tomorrow.
This article literally has no content in it. It's just Goodman's tweet saying he'd decide after getting back to CT, phrased in a way it was from before any meeting even started. It's a pointless article.

Reaction Score
I wonder if Dan saw an offer that pays him less than Bill Self and felt insulted. Especially since UConn must’ve known about the Kentucky interest.

They shoulda had a lifetime contract ready for him on the plane back to Connecticut, making him the highest paid coach in the sport, the day after the championship game.

It was a massive failure by the state not to have this done well before the Lakers realized he was still an option. Hopefully that ‘can’t say no’ offer is waiting on his desk when he comes back.
There isn't a single coach in college basketball right now that has the right to feel insulted by not being paid as much as Bill Self, that includes Hurley. I think Dan is the best coach in the sport, but because of Self's longevity at the top, I think it's fair for him to be highest paid. If the offer on the table made DH the 5th or so highest paid then he would have every reason to feel insulted because he should absolutely be at least 2nd on that list going forward and UConn needs to pony up the $$$ for that type of contract.

Reaction Score
Dan Hurley is officially THE star of CBB. Forget UConn. He has a chance to be this generations Coach K. A coach that transcends his sport. If he returns after this Lakers flirtation he’s a rock star.

Cbb needs Dan Hurley
I don’t think he wants that. I think he wants to do other things. There was an interview (I think this post season) where he suggested that he might be done coaching in 10 years. If he’s going to try the NBA, it’s not going to be too far down the road.

Reaction Score
I just don't think you leave family the way this would play out. Him leaving can seriously damage a lot of kids, staff, and the university. I just can't see it happening. He just doesn't seem like that type of person. If it does happen than maybe he was always just an act and we would be better off going in a different direction. The Danny Hurley of today seems different than the Danny Hurley of last year.

Reaction Score
I take it as a good sign he's returning without a deal. Reportedly UConn will make him 3rd highest paid--but that's $6+M.
Time to step up and at least match Calipari's $7+M; I suspect he also wants some assurances around NIL support.
Ball's in our court.

Reaction Score
“Generational money” has become such a moronic idea. Unless Hurley is wildly profligate in his personal life - and he’s not - his grandkids and probably beyond are set if he never coaches a day in the NBA. This is not about money. If it was it’d be Kentucky fans worried about losing him right now.
$100M salary over 6-10 years is not generational money. It’s a crazy amount to be sure, but not generational money that sets up grand kids.

Now if you had $100M in assets today that could be invested and earn a return you are probably close

Reaction Score
$100M salary over 6-10 years is not generational money. It’s a crazy amount to be sure, but not generational money that sets up grand kids.

Now if you had $100M in assets today that could be invested and earn a return you are probably close
Not to mention what if he doesn't mesh with the NBA guys and he get canned agter 2 year. He will see a fraction of that money and end up back in college and be back at square 1 and having to start all over again.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's about money. As someone here said earlier, he'll never spend what he's making at Connecticut. I suspect it's about whether the challenge of the NBA is enticing enough for him to give up what he has, in all aspects.
My gut still says at the end of the day he can't pull the trigger and leave.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
I either picked the best time or worst time to stop drinking.

Really can’t decide if this is much easier being sober or if I drinking all weekend instead.

I’ve been all over the map in my thoughts but 70/30 he goes to LA.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom