Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 92 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

Reaction Score
Nice little trip to LA… nice little bump in pay… solid weekend for Danny boy.

Reaction Score
No one wants to see Dan leave UConn, but even though I think he’ll pass on the Lakers, (neither he nor Andrea are LA glitzy)—it’s just a matter of time before it happens. Knowing what the Lakers were prepared to offer will help when the next suitor comes calling. Since it’s clear that Hurley’s not averse to exploring NBA options, if I’m James Dolan, I’m moving Tibs upstairs and making a full court press on Hurley to coach the Knick’s. That’s the perfect fit for him, Andrea and the family, especially his Dad. Dan then becomes the king of NYC and MSG and keeps his strong Jersey persona. Plus he’d be coaching some Big East Villanova players and building a team in his own image without having to answer to the whims of Lebron. He can create a dynasty in a world he’s much more comfortable in.
The bag will still be waiting if he says no this time to LA. In the meantime he stays one more year for the three peat, keeping his commitments to the players and assistant coaches.
Even though the LA attention is flattering (and his Agent is salivating) I think he’ll pray on it and make the right decision. That sounds a lot more like the Dan Hurley we‘ve all come to know and respect.
If he does come back, we now know that it's only a matter of time until he goes to the NBA, so we better have a constantly updated succession plan in place.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
If he does come back, we now know that it's only a matter of time until he goes to the NBA, so we better have a constantly updated succession plan in place.
Not sure I follow. If he turns down the Lakers and the money they are allegedly offering, I think the likelihood of NBA goes down (sans Knicks).

Reaction Score
Based on his current resume Hurley knows he can get the same contract, if not better, at any time. That will not change anytime soon.

It's the timing. Many of you have noted this. It's bad timing. Hurley can get the same money in a better situation next year or the year after. He will be back and he will ensure UConn is in his hands whenever he decides to leave.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't understand why a high buyout would deter him from signing. It's not like he would ever be on the hook for it.
It wouldn't. It would just be a money grab by the university. Nothing wrong with that.

Reaction Score
This is my main takeaway from this offseason. Danny is a dream come true for this program, but he’s not here for too much longer whether he takes the LA job or not. We need to start thinking beyond.

Reaction Score
Among other things that he'd be crazy not to take it.
If it is 100 million why not. Even if he flames out he can get the best college job in the country and have generational money in the bank. Only reasons to stay are family and loyalty.

Reaction Score
As time goes on i'm more optimistic about him coming back. just 3 peat and then have your picking of options on your own schedule. this rushed stuff is not good and the same lakers job will be there next few years, and more options will open up elsewhere.
Dan should be picking his own job down the line. Not the other way around. He's going to be a step up for someone eventually. Just not today.

Reaction Score
I choose to trust in gifs more than Fanta.
Fanta's a great guy but I don't think he's achieved insider status. When Hurley touches down from LA just throws him the keys to the Rolls and a blank checkbook. On second thought, hand the checkbook very politely to Andrea. I'm pretty sure she can manage that too.

Reaction Score
If it is 100 million why not. Even if he flames out he can get the best college job in the country and have generational money in the bank. Only reasons to stay are family and loyalty.

“Generational money” has become such a moronic idea. Unless Hurley is wildly profligate in his personal life - and he’s not - his grandkids and probably beyond are set if he never coaches a day in the NBA. This is not about money. If it was it’d be Kentucky fans worried about losing him right now.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I wonder if Dan saw an offer that pays him less than Bill Self and felt insulted. Especially since UConn must’ve known about the Kentucky interest.

They shoulda had a lifetime contract ready for him on the plane back to Connecticut, making him the highest paid coach in the sport, the day after the championship game.

It was a massive failure by the state not to have this done well before the Lakers realized he was still an option. Hopefully that ‘can’t say no’ offer is waiting on his desk when he comes back.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom