Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 95 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I wonder if Dan saw an offer that pays him less than Bill Self and felt insulted. Especially since UConn must’ve known about the Kentucky interest.

They shoulda had a lifetime contract ready for him on the plane back to Connecticut, making him the highest paid coach in the sport, the day after the championship game.

It was a massive failure by the state not to have this done well before the Lakers realized he was still an option. Hopefully that ‘can’t say no’ offer is waiting on his desk when he comes back.
If he is, he’s an idiot. Kansas, Kentucky and all the P4 schools have vastly higher revenue. He knows that. UConn has gone way outside where we probably should spend given our AD budget. He knows all that. I think we pay him as much as we do in hopes it gets us into Big XII or ACC.

Is he happy? Is his family happy? Would they be happier with more money in LA? That’s really the question he needs to ask.

Reaction Score
You realize he’s not getting a $100M upfront right? Then he’s going to lose half to taxes etc. It will net out to $50-60MM spread out over the better part of a decade.
$60m x 4% = $600k per year for each grand kid

Reaction Score
If you're Dave Benedict. Getting Danny back from his LA trip without a Lakers deal is Step #1 in a multi-step process. A positive sign for sure. Danny will continue to have discussions with his inner circle and come to a timely- well-informed decision now that he's back on home turf.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Would imagine once the LA meeting is over Hurley knows what he is doing but will not tell Lakers yes or no because he doesn’t want the information to leak- if he has decided Yes to leave- would imagine that he wants to meet with the team first face to face & let them know instead of them hearing it from the internet or another reporter. Have a feeling the optics of this whole thing is very important to Hurley & that if he is leaving he wants to make himself look as good as he can.
That is going to be hard. I really don’t agree with those that it will be all hugs and kisses on this board if he leaves and the season tanks. Guess now we really know what the me season is. What this decision all means to us must be similiar to what he goes through when the portal is open.

But it still stinks and the only way it does not tarnish his legacy is if Kimani and Luke stay and we have a great couple years we will forget.

But if we stink for the next three or four year or forever with the P4 craziness it will always be a point of contention.

When the suffering starts the Hurley love will morph into something else.

It is human nature.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
You realize he’s not getting a $100M upfront right? Then he’s going to lose half to taxes etc. It will net out to $50-60MM spread out over the better part of a decade.
I mean does it really make a difference. 10 million cash in a savings account can currently net you a 500,000 dollar a year salary without touching the principle.

Point being this is all life and generational money.

Reaction Score
If he is, he’s an idiot. Kansas, Kentucky and all the P4 schools have vastly higher revenue. He knows that. UConn has gone way outside where we probably should spend given our AD budget. He knows all that. I think we pay him as much as we do in hopes it gets us into Big XII or ACC.

Is he happy? Is his family happy? Would they be happier with more money in LA? That’s really the question he needs to ask.
His coaches have families with kids in school and friendship networks. I keep thinking about Luke’s kids who were like team mascots in the handshake line during the tourney. That ain’t happening in the NBA.
Let’s not forget the 4 month victory tour that he would be deep sixing. He enjoyed that last year BIG TIME.

Reaction Score
It's not going to be all hugs and kisses when he leaves. Many will be greatful, as they should be. Most will understand it though. It makes so much sense in so many ways, yet the opposite is also true. The burning desire to seek on new different challenges, can't fault that no matter how bad a match Dan Personality is for the NBA. you never know with the right fit of players.

Many will have a bad taste in their mouth bc he simply wasn't here long enough 10+ years to warrant that legendary legacy.

Reaction Score
I keep coming back to the thought that Benedict is OK with Hurley listening to the Lakers interest, maybe even encouraged it, in order to help himself and Hurley jolt the powers that be into having the urgency to bring their contract negotiation across the finish line.

I feel like Geno goading Hurley to consider it is in this guise as well.

Reaction Score
He definitely will be telling his team first what he decided to do- I’m thinking we find out this weekend after he meets with them.
It’s strange waking up in the morning and having DH pop right into my head first thing.

Reaction Score
But then you're not considering endorsements, speaking arrangements, future earnings, etc. it is 100% generational wealth
The smart play is to enjoy the money while you're still here. Buffett made sure his kids stood on their own feet first and then he's leaving them only a small percent of his net worth. You don't want grandkids whose whole identity is access to a trust fund.

Reaction Score
He definitely will be telling his team first what he decided to do- I’m thinking we find out this weekend after he meets with them.
It’s strange waking up in the morning and having DH pop right into my head first thing.
He should do it that way but most of the time that’s not how it goes and even if that’s the intention, it’s on ESPN before he gets to talk to the team

Reaction Score
I have an equitable solution for all interested parties: Hurley coaches both teams. Lakers get their man, Uconn keeps theirs, and Hurley gets double the salary. Of course, he'll likely be in an early grave due to the workload, but heck, we need that National Championship Hat Trick!

Reaction Score
Harbaugh left Michigan to go to the NFL. A lateral move career wise. Coaching a top program in college is as good as it gets.

Harbaugh leaving is easier to understand. His personality is suited for the NFL, he has had tremendous success there already, and everyone already assumed he would go back anyways.

Not quite the case here.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Fist pumping. Totally different.
Well if you know something we don’t please share. Or is this just a euphemism that the sun came up you woke up and life is great. If you have gotten there already congrats.

For me if he leaves it will take a little longer.

My morning consisted of oh good it’s Saturday no stupid 8:30 zoom meeting to be on. But that was quickly replaced by let me see if Hurley is still our HC.

Reaction Score
This is LBJ's age 40 season. He not just on the back 9 of his career, he's on the last 3 holes. Something Hurley is no doubt considering.
They keep saying he has 2 to 3 years left.

At this age, you can break down any day.

Pretty incredible nonetheless how his build and body has been able to stay at an elite level at this age. Jordan at age 40 could barely dunk.

Reaction Score
This is LBJ's age 40 season. He not just on the back 9 of his career, he's on the last 3 holes. Something Hurley is no doubt considering.
LeBron should barely even be a factor in the decision. He's gonna be a free agent this summer so it's far from a lock he's even a Laker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom