Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 68 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

Reaction Score

About four decades ago, when I was very early in my professional career one of the higher ups at the company told me about on of his neighbor's in the very ritzy part of Greenwich where he lived.

A somewhat well known actor who spent a lot of time on Broadway, moved with his wife to LA in the early 1970's as he was going to work almost entirely on movies. Less than a year later he bought the house in Greenwich where his wife lived full time and he stayed when he wasn't working on a movie.

The reason for the return to the east coast was that while he was making a movie, there was an earthquake and the wife, alone in the house, had never experienced anything like it and immediately demanded they move back east.

Would it be wrong of me to hope for an earthquake in LA today?
Good thinking.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
You must be fun at parties.
You must be fun at parties.
In my defense, I have traveled around the country. Lived in FL, CT, and portions of time in TN. I’ve had job opportunities for more money in San Francisco, Los Angeles, and awkwardly enough Ohio. Never took them.

What I have realized thru this is that I am a stubborn northeasterner, albeit very outgoing and in your face sometimes, and most people don’t like that outside of the north east. That’s fine I don’t change. But if I see your beer is half empty, you better believe I have another coming for you. You can’t deny it, drink up buttercup. Let the good times roll, don’t fight them.

That mentality doesn’t work well in the west coast of the US. I like my group of friends, my family is here, and my grotesque but sometimes interesting sense of humor works in the northeast. Does not work in California or even southern Florida for that matter.

But I’ll invite you to a party this summer, it’ll be a blast. You’ll meet some interesting folks, hope you like the Grateful Dead and waking up with a hangover. Live music is a must too.

awy

Reaction Score
if they decide to go with Kimani it's probably still fine. he didn't design the system but he has an open and growth oriented mindset, and he is a very strong culture builder. in time they might be able to find a strategist replacement for luke, or just have luke do some remote consulting in the meantime. like a kevin young lite.

Reaction Score
It is a selfish move. Doesn't mean he can't do it. It will leave a bitter taste in many on this forums mouths the way he leaves if he does. The timing and where we are makes it a devastating loss and he knows this. To sell the fans and team on a 3 peat an then pull the rug and totally devastate the team is brutal. I mean Dan has to do what is best for him but it definitely goes against what he preached about trying to build a dynasty at UConn.

It goes against everything he’s been saying and selling to the players/recruits.

The week after the new guys arrive.
Total Basshole move if he does it..

Reaction Score
Have read some, nowhere near all of the posts. Did this opportunity sneak up, or has it been brewing throughout the year? Was there foreknowledge?

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I agree with all of this. I just don't understand the timing. I get that the timing never would have been good but this is awful. We have no choice but to promote an assistant, probably pushing the other out the door, and scrambling to re-recruit everybody on our roster while every coach with an open slot or a lack of morals tries to steal them away. While we can't play offense ourselves.

Separately, regarding ta potential Kimani hire, I like him a lot but given that Luke was in charge of offense, could Kimani & the other staff returnees maintain the offensive system? It's not like there's anyone on the staff who doesn't know the system by now. But watching and doing are two different things. It's easy enough to try to copy what UConn's been doing the last couple seasons. The key is constantly adding new elements, which I was expecting UConn to continue doing.

It's a tough pill to swallow. The timing is going to set us back a lot. I just don't know how it can be helped.

If Coach goes it is going to be different no matter what. No matter what best attempts we make at keeping continuity with a hire, or really anything and everything else. Continually evolving that fabulous offensive system that was put in place the last couple years will sadly be way down the list of the biggest hurdles we will be facing.

I think we all need to realize how entirely lucky we have been (as fans) the last 2 years. We have done something that has NEVER been done in College Basketball. EVER. Our back to back was 100x harder than UCLA and much harder than Duke and Florida. Those 2 repeated with the same players. We repeated as a PROGRAM, a SYSTEM. No one has ever done that. To take almost entirely different players and do what we just did was prove the concept Dan Hurley. Kimani Young, Luke Murray, and Tom Moore had been brewing for a while. If you can keep all that together it is not unreasonable to expect similar results. Once it breaks up all bets are off. We certainly can find success again, it's UConn, we've done it before. But it will look nothing like what we just have seen.

awy

Reaction Score
interest from the NBA was well known and really kicked into high gear with how good their offense looked. the laker specific interest supposedly started right after they fired the current coach, but in reality them firing that guy was probably initiated by awareness of hurley's existence.

I don't buy that they just contacted him recently. it should have started a month ago.

Reaction Score
I would hope DB has been around practice enough to know how Konami and Luke interact with the players.. and that DB is skilled enough to make the best decision.. things can go really bad if he makes the wrong call.. just look what happened with RI when Hurley left…

Reaction Score
Reckon he'll massively regret leaving, if he goes. Timing's off, he's young enough, with history to be made at UConn. The game itself is the opposite of his core value of team over individual. Stars vs. nameless. There's a reason no college coach has ever transitioned to then NBA to win a championship. And that's setting aside, Los Angeles as a city for the self-professed "Jersey Guy," and the dumpster fire that's been the franchise (which, admittedly may be part of the allure). Then there's the personality and intensity to bear over 82 games + playoffs. If he does go, the Lakers better have a good defbrilator... :cool:

History informs:
o Billy Donovan - back-to-back NCAA's - still in the NBA - 5 years with OK City. Lost conf finals year 1, 4 first round exits following. 4 years in Chicago, 1 loss first round, 3 years out of the playoffs. Looks on Bull's shaky ground with with that record.
o Brad Stevens - 8 years with the Celtics before trading coaching for the front office. 3 first round losses, 3 conference finals losses, 1 first round, 1 missed.
o Pitino - 2 years with the Knicks, 3 1/2 with the Celtics. 3 years out of the playoffs, 1 first round, 1 conference semi. Now back in college.
o Calipari, etc... the picture's clear.

All superb college coaches with umimpressive pro careers, only 1 of which is still in the NBA, if tenuously at that. Best I think to play this run out at UConn, for now, especially as the Laker job becomes available every couple of years anyway.

Reaction Score
interest from the NBA was well known and really kicked into high gear with how good their offense looked. the laker specific interest supposedly started right after they fired the current coach, but in reality them firing that guy was probably initiated by awareness of hurley's existence.

I don't buy that they just contacted him recently. it should have started a month ago.
I'm thinking that as well

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
History informs:
o Billy Donovan - back-to-back NCAA's - still in the NBA - 5 years with OK City. Lost conf finals year 1, 4 first round exits following. 4 years in Chicago, 1 loss first round, 3 years out of the playoffs. Looks on Bull's shaky ground with with that record.
o Brad Stevens - 8 years with the Celtics before trading coaching for the front office. 3 first round losses, 3 conference finals losses, 1 first round, 1 missed.
o Pitino - 2 years with the Knicks, 3 1/2 with the Celtics. 3 years out of the playoffs, 1 first round, 1 conference semi. Now back in college.
o Calipari, etc... the picture's clear.

All superb college coaches with umimpressive pro careers, only 1 of which is still in the NBA, if tenuously at that. Best I think to play this run out at UConn, for now, especially as the Laker job becomes available every couple of years anyway.

Heres the thing with that.

That is EXACTLY the type of challenge Hurley relishes so he can prove everyone wrong and flip them the bird.

Reaction Score

Ham was 100% being fired regardless of Hurley’s existence

Reaction Score
That mentality doesn’t work well in the west coast of the US. I like my group of friends, my family is here, and my grotesque but sometimes interesting sense of humor works in the northeast. Does not work in California or even southern Florida for that matter.

I'm obviously a fan of LA because I've lived here for 20 years but I find these posts opining that a certain personality type doesn't "work" in a city of 20 million people to be a little silly. Not everyone that lives here is an instagram thot or a wannabe actor. We have doctors, lawyers, plumbers, refrigerator salesmen, construction workers - gasp - standup comedians, you name it.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It's the job. It's the Lakers. He wouldn't be going through this to take over the Atlanta Hawks or Orlando Magic or Utah Jazz at this point in whatever loose plan he has as it pertains to an NBA coaching future. It's right now solely because it's the Lakers and the opportunity to run one of the most storied franchises in all of sports does not come around that often, and may never again, so obviously you have to really think about it, and if that requires on pushing up whatever timetable others (or even he himself) envisioned then it is what it is. Down the road maybe his scope of jobs he would entertain will broaden, but right now It pretty much could only be the Celtics, Knicks or Lakers that could even make him blink.

This sucks for the UConn program for so many reasons (if it comes to pass), but I cannot hold one iota of bitterness against Hurley for this no matter what he has ever said. He at least has always been forthcoming about his possible future aspirations. More than most, truth be told. Just lousy timing, but that is life. He's gotta look at it now if he truly wants to do this any time in the future. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity.

I hope he turns it down.

I disagree about the Lakers being something special. The NBA has gone the way of the NFL, where everyone gets a turn to make a run at a championship unless they are completely incompetent (like the Jets and Knicks). Cleveland, Toronto, Milwaukee and Denver have won titles in the last 10 years. At some point, Atlanta or Orlando, big southern metro areas, have to become sustainably good. It is almost like Atlanta is trying to suck. Utah has a bit of an uphill fight because it is a small, cold city.

Anyway, I think there are better jobs than LA. The downside of taking over a storied franchise is that the fans will turn on him pretty quickly, which in LA means going to the beach. The upside of taking over LA is that it is very attractive to free agents, and the Lakers are going to need some new free agents.

Reaction Score
Have read some, nowhere near all of the posts. Did this opportunity sneak up, or has it been brewing throughout the year? Was there foreknowledge?
There does not seem to be any clarity on this.
  • Hurley turned down Kentucky in April.
  • The Lakers job opened in early May, but it's been reported that Ham knew he was done for a while before that.
  • All the publicly reported rumors (from Shams and co) about the Lakers job immediately after was on JJ Redick and some other NBA people (Ty Lue, Jason Kidd, Mike Budenholzer, Kenny Atkinson, etc.)
  • Woj reported yesterday: "Hurley has been at the forefront of the Lakers' search from the beginning of the process, even while the organization has done its due diligence interviewing several other candidates, sources said. " Including interviewing James Borrego twice.
So possibly Hurley was contacted early on and told the Lakers he wanted to take his time and enjoy the post-championship timeframe and get through the transfer portal and get his kids through the combine and roster set for the year. Or the Lakers are lying and he wasn't in the picture until recently. Or maybe Hurley initially said no and then changed his mind after all this NCAA revenue sharing, etc. stuff happened.

Reaction Score
Ham was 100% being fired regardless of Hurley’s existence
The King spoke and it was done.... Great place to coach where a player can get you fired. That's gotta be fun for stress and anxiety levels.

The NBA is a big business. NBA fans don't love and revere the coach of their team like college.

Reaction Score
should also be noted that Rich Paul slipped up on a podcast a couple weeks ago and alluded to Lebron opting out of his contract this summer and hitting free agency

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
It is a selfish move. Doesn't mean he can't do it. It will leave a bitter taste in many on this forums mouths the way he leaves if he does. The timing and where we are makes it a devastating loss and he knows this. To sell the fans and team on a 3 peat an then pull the rug and totally devastate the team is brutal. I mean Dan has to do what is best for him but it definitely goes against what he preached about trying to build a dynasty at UConn.
who the hell cares?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'm obviously a fan of LA because I've lived here for 20 years but I find these posts opining that a certain personality type doesn't "work" in a city of 20 million people to be a little silly. Not everyone that lives here is an instagram thot or a wannabe actor. We have doctors, lawyers, plumbers, refrigerator salesmen, construction workers - gasp - standup comedians, you name it.

Yeah, it’s a weird take.

You can move anywhere in this country and basically be comfortable with the surroundings.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Would it be wrong of me to hope for an earthquake in LA today?

You don't need an earthquake in LA, just get on a highway, any highway, between 7 am and 9 pm. That should make Hurley want to leave and never come back.

Reaction Score
I think Hurley may care about money from a recognition standpoint, but in terms of raw dollars, he and his family will have generational wealth either way. CA is also far more expensive than the UConn area of CT, and that CT state pension means something. It’s the reason why I never went private (I will have military and civilian pensions), and it really is the great equalizer in this case. That’s a pension that‘s paid to him for the rest of his life, 30% of his base salary, though not sure about how it’s calculated or the tax consequences of CT pensions (I’m Federal and in Northern VA).

With that said, money will be secondary. His primary concern will be the family situation and the path forward for the Lakers compared to the path forward to the school. I would be willing to bet he and his agent are discussing the possibility of delaying this jump in favor of waiting for a Knicks, Celtics, or Nets opening. If one of those came open, then it would definitely be game over.

my thoughts exactly. If this NBA offer came 3 years from now, he would be gone. One thing DH despises is lack of control, inability to coach and
dealing with prima Donna’s. He also dislikes leaving his Northeast roots especially while his parents are alive, along with Andrea’s family. Family means everything to this man. I think he gets more satisfaction in developing young kids at college level who want learn. I think the allure of a 3-peat, which has not been done since the late 60s, with a shot of Wooden immortality. He’s turned down Kentucky and if he turns down the Lakers, it’s not like he won’t have another opportunity at a local NBA franchise in future years. He’ll get college players easier now with all of his media attention and success with less pressure. he’s figured out the cheat code at the college level and will remain successful at Connecticut for the next few years until that next opportunity for the NBA presents.

His Star will shine brighter. People want what they can’t get have, especially when you remain a star, and having turned down Kentucky and the LA Lakers. That’s why NBA potential be there later and closer to his original timeline. The timing is not right, and he knows that in his heart. He’s also fiercely loyal, and I think that will play a part and not abandoning the program he built in the returning players at the worst possible time.

I wouldn’t blame him for whatever decision he makes, but count me in as one who thinks he will eventually return to stores and not take the job.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom