Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 67 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
According to @John_Fanta, UConn assistant Luke Murray (Bill Murray's son) plans on following Dan Hurley to the Lakers if he doesn't get the UConn HC job

What it says is that, of the two, whoever doesn't get the job would likely leave. Seems like common sense and also just a guess. (And it seems like people think KY is first in line.)

Presumably Benedict would offer a lot to both. He'd certainly have the cash for it.

Reaction Score
Our offense was not invented by Dan Hurley. It is most likely a Luke thing that Hurley came around to. That would lead me to believe Dan is desperate to keep Luke with him wherever he goes. I’m ok with Luke or Kimani. Kimani can coach and he’s an elite recruiter.

All that said, we can hire a great, experienced coach at this point too. It’s a great job.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't have any problem with any of this other than the timing. He built UConn back up and got us two nattys. He's having a giant bag thrown at him. But the timing is horrible. It will blow up a top 10 team without much opportunity to rebuild. It would leave the program in a tough spot. That would bother me immensely.

I agree with this completely.

We would essentially be the only team having players enter the portal for this 30-day window, and if they go where do we exactly pull kids from? I know there are still kids unsigned -- but it's bottom of the barrel at this point.

Reaction Score
Spot on with the timing being terrible- the whole situation is just very bizzare & strange- all the reports just a few days ago that Redick was getting hired & then all of sudden Hurley goes on Francesa says the thing about the NBA & it seems Lakers Brass said wait let’s give Hurley a call & see if he is interested- & now we are here- bonkers…..

awy

Reaction Score
What it says is that, of the two, whoever doesn't get the job would likely leave. Seems like common sense and also just a guess. (And it seems like people think KY is first in line.)

Presumably Benedict would offer a lot to both. He'd certainly have the cash for it.
yes, but the relevant information is that Luke wants the HC job and offering it will keep him around. This is not certain at all with how in demand he is and the likely big offer attached for his services in the NBA.

Reaction Score
As long as the roster remains intact I don’t care if it’s Kimani or Luke.

Reaction Score
I was just talking about this with a consultant who was here this week in Essex at our place but lives and works in San Diego. Very different places obviously, and he was very excited to explore this area and liked it a lot. We were talking about places we lived over our years (I'm in my mid 50's he is slightly older) and I have lived in CA and he was asking me which I liked better. I told him (and this is the truth) that I have no preference, that I have found value in everywhere I have ever been. The trick is being comfortable with yourself and knowing yourself. Every place has something that can be celebrated and taken advantage of. Me personally, I am very into experiencing the unique differences of the places I have been and go, and I derive enjoyment out of learning what they are and how I relate to them. Obviously I have found that there are places that "fit" me better than others. But that is a personal thing on who I am more than a judgement on what an inanimate geographical location isn't . Right? And as I change places that "fit" me better change too. Crazy, right? ;)
- "wherever you go there you are" indeed.
Curious what are those specific cities you've lived in?
I've lived in 'just' southern CT, Storrs, NC an Boston + Boston suburbs. Have found the right sized city of Boston really fits me, yet also enjoyed NC (the people*) and still would like to try a city there (probably Charlotte).

*somehow have done ok living in Ffld County and now MetroWest Boston which has more or less become what FFld County was in the 80's. Niche kinda is finding the cool down to earth people amongst the materiality. In contrast to NE, found living in the south people assume you are cool unless you prove otherwise. In NE its assume you are not worth my time unless you prove you are with $$ often being a factor in that.

Going back to Hurley I think it'd be hard for me to find that similar niche in LA.

Reaction Score
Hurley is going to have his say on assistants. That I’m sure of.
Won’t Hurley actually be the Laker’s Assistant Coach? LeBron will be the one deciding who plays, what position Bronnie plays, and what offense the Lakers will run will allow LeBron and Bronnie to score the ball.

Reaction Score
Not sure how many have followed a coach to his own more lucrative destination, but my guess it's a minority who follow the coach.

But what would a minority be on a basketball team? 3 or 4 out of 12?

Substitute Kentucky for the Lakers. I think at least 3 or 4 would have followed him there. And that's likely what a new coach would bring.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
yes, but the relevant information is that Luke wants the HC job and offering it will keep him around. This is not certain at all with how in demand he is and the likely big offer attached for his services in the NBA.

I guess I assumed that to be the case, for both Kimani and Luke.

And I take everything I'm reading with a grain of salt. This is all speculation based on random tidbits passed along in a game of telephone.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
We thought it would be down the road a bunch of years because that is what he said multiple times less than 2 months ago when making the interview rounds after the tourney and Kentucky thing. He didn't qualify that statement or anything. I guess the guy has a right to change his mind but man I was lulled into a false sense of security by simply believing the words that he said. Complete gut punch. If he leaves us in shambles i will have serious mixed emotions. I will be forever grateful for the rings and two great seasons, especially because I have been sick. As much as I love the championships, I love looking forward to and enjoying big UConn games when we are major contenders. If we are left without that for the foreseeable future it might leave a bitter taste. Hope it doesn't for too long.

It's the job. It's the Lakers. He wouldn't be going through this to take over the Atlanta Hawks or Orlando Magic or Utah Jazz at this point in whatever loose plan he has as it pertains to an NBA coaching future. It's right now solely because it's the Lakers and the opportunity to run one of the most storied franchises in all of sports does not come around that often, and may never again, so obviously you have to really think about it, and if that requires on pushing up whatever timetable others (or even he himself) envisioned then it is what it is. Down the road maybe his scope of jobs he would entertain will broaden, but right now It pretty much could only be the Celtics, Knicks or Lakers that could even make him blink.

This sucks for the UConn program for so many reasons (if it comes to pass), but I cannot hold one iota of bitterness against Hurley for this no matter what he has ever said. He at least has always been forthcoming about his possible future aspirations. More than most, truth be told. Just lousy timing, but that is life. He's gotta look at it now if he truly wants to do this any time in the future. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity.

I hope he turns it down.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Curious what are those specific cities you've lived in?
I've lived in 'just' southern CT, Storrs, NC an Boston + Boston suburbs. Have found the right sized city of Boston really fits me, yet also enjoyed NC (the people*) and still would like to try a city there (probably Charlotte).

*somehow have done ok living in Ffld County and now MetroWest Boston which has more or less become what FFld County was in the 80's. Niche kinda is finding the cool down to earth people amongst the materiality. In contrast to NE, found living in the south people assume you are cool unless you prove otherwise. In NE its assume you are not worth my time unless you prove you are with $$ often being a factor in that.

Going back to Hurley I think it'd be hard for me to find that similar niche in LA.
LA, SF (Marin) , NYC, Boulder

Reaction Score
I was just talking about this with a consultant who was here this week in Essex at our place but lives and works in San Diego. Very different places obviously, and he was very excited to explore this area and liked it a lot. We were talking about places we lived over our years (I'm in my mid 50's he is slightly older) and I have lived in CA and he was asking me which I liked better. I told him (and this is the truth) that I have no preference, that I have found value in everywhere I have ever been. The trick is being comfortable with yourself and knowing yourself. Every place has something that can be celebrated and taken advantage of. Me personally, I am very into experiencing the unique differences of the places I have been and go, and I derive enjoyment out of learning what they are and how I relate to them. Obviously I have found that there are places that "fit" me better than others. But that is a personal thing on who I am more than a judgement on what an inanimate geographical location isn't . Right? And as I change places that "fit" me better change too. Crazy, right? ;)
- "wherever you go there you are" indeed.
This is a great take. I’ve found phenomenal things every place I’ve lived and also things that drive me bonkers. It really is a matter of perspective and what suits you for where you are at that point in your life.

Reaction Score
It isn't what DH owes UConn. It is what DH owes the players he just recently sold either coming to or staying at UConn as their best chance to develop and compete at a high level. To abandon them now -- when their options are limited -- would be worse than the Randy Edsall move.

That he even is considering making this move is a dick move.
I haven’t read anywhere close to every post in this thread, but this has to be one of the worst

Reaction Score
I wouldn't have any problem with any of this other than the timing. He built UConn back up and got us two nattys. He's having a giant bag thrown at him. But the timing is horrible. It will blow up a top 10 team without much opportunity to rebuild. It would leave the program in a tough spot. That would bother me immensely.
Exactly

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
It's the job. It's the Lakers. He wouldn't be going through this to take over the Atlanta Hawks or Orlando Magic or Utah Jazz at this point in whatever loose plan he has as it pertains to an NBA coaching future. It's right now solely because it's the Lakers and the opportunity to run one of the most storied franchises in all of sports does not come around that often, and may never again, so obviously you have to really think about it, and if that requires on pushing up whatever timetable others (or even he himself) envisioned then it is what it is. Down the road maybe his scope of jobs he would entertain will broaden, but right now It pretty much could only be the Celtics, Knicks or Lakers that could even make him blink.

This sucks for the UConn program for so many reasons (if it comes to pass), but I cannot hold one iota of bitterness against Hurley for this no matter what he has ever said. He at least has always been forthcoming about his possible future aspirations. More than most, truth be told. Just lousy timing, but that is life. He's gotta look at it now if he truly wants to do this any time in the future. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity.

I hope he turns it down.

I agree with all of this. I just don't understand the timing. I get that the timing never would have been good but this is awful. We have no choice but to promote an assistant, probably pushing the other out the door, and scrambling to re-recruit everybody on our roster while every coach with an open slot or a lack of morals tries to steal them away. While we can't play offense ourselves.

Separately, regarding ta potential Kimani hire, I like him a lot but given that Luke was in charge of offense, could Kimani & the other staff returnees maintain the offensive system? It's not like there's anyone on the staff who doesn't know the system by now. But watching and doing are two different things. It's easy enough to try to copy what UConn's been doing the last couple seasons. The key is constantly adding new elements, which I was expecting UConn to continue doing.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Maybe Dan will step in human feces today or a homeless person tugs on Andrea’s dress.

Odds of that are pretty good, no matter where you are in LA.
About four decades ago, when I was very early in my professional career one of the higher ups at the company told me about on of his neighbor's in the very ritzy part of Greenwich where he lived.

A somewhat well known actor who spent a lot of time on Broadway, moved with his wife to LA in the early 1970's as he was going to work almost entirely on movies. Less than a year later he bought the house in Greenwich where his wife lived full time and he stayed when he wasn't working on a movie.

The reason for the return to the east coast was that while he was making a movie, there was an earthquake and the wife, alone in the house, had never experienced anything like it and immediately demanded they move back east.

Would it be wrong of me to hope for an earthquake in LA today?

Reaction Score
I haven’t read anywhere close to every post in this thread, but this has to be one of the worst
It is a selfish move. Doesn't mean he can't do it. It will leave a bitter taste in many on this forums mouths the way he leaves if he does. The timing and where we are makes it a devastating loss and he knows this. To sell the fans and team on a 3 peat an then pull the rug and totally devastate the team is brutal. I mean Dan has to do what is best for him but it definitely goes against what he preached about trying to build a dynasty at UConn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom