Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 69 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
It is a selfish move. Doesn't mean he can't do it. It will leave a bitter taste in many on this forums mouths the way he leaves if he does. The timing and where we are makes it a devastating loss and he knows this. To sell the fans and team on a 3 peat an then pull the rug and totally devastate the team is brutal. I mean Dan has to do what is best for him but it definitely goes against what he preached about trying to build a dynasty at UConn.
who the hell cares?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'm obviously a fan of LA because I've lived here for 20 years but I find these posts opining that a certain personality type doesn't "work" in a city of 20 million people to be a little silly. Not everyone that lives here is an instagram thot or a wannabe actor. We have doctors, lawyers, plumbers, refrigerator salesmen, construction workers - gasp - standup comedians, you name it.

Yeah, it’s a weird take.

You can move anywhere in this country and basically be comfortable with the surroundings.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Would it be wrong of me to hope for an earthquake in LA today?

You don't need an earthquake in LA, just get on a highway, any highway, between 7 am and 9 pm. That should make Hurley want to leave and never come back.

Reaction Score
I think Hurley may care about money from a recognition standpoint, but in terms of raw dollars, he and his family will have generational wealth either way. CA is also far more expensive than the UConn area of CT, and that CT state pension means something. It’s the reason why I never went private (I will have military and civilian pensions), and it really is the great equalizer in this case. That’s a pension that‘s paid to him for the rest of his life, 30% of his base salary, though not sure about how it’s calculated or the tax consequences of CT pensions (I’m Federal and in Northern VA).

With that said, money will be secondary. His primary concern will be the family situation and the path forward for the Lakers compared to the path forward to the school. I would be willing to bet he and his agent are discussing the possibility of delaying this jump in favor of waiting for a Knicks, Celtics, or Nets opening. If one of those came open, then it would definitely be game over.

my thoughts exactly. If this NBA offer came 3 years from now, he would be gone. One thing DH despises is lack of control, inability to coach and
dealing with prima Donna’s. He also dislikes leaving his Northeast roots especially while his parents are alive, along with Andrea’s family. Family means everything to this man. I think he gets more satisfaction in developing young kids at college level who want learn. I think the allure of a 3-peat, which has not been done since the late 60s, with a shot of Wooden immortality. He’s turned down Kentucky and if he turns down the Lakers, it’s not like he won’t have another opportunity at a local NBA franchise in future years. He’ll get college players easier now with all of his media attention and success with less pressure. he’s figured out the cheat code at the college level and will remain successful at Connecticut for the next few years until that next opportunity for the NBA presents.

His Star will shine brighter. People want what they can’t get have, especially when you remain a star, and having turned down Kentucky and the LA Lakers. That’s why NBA potential be there later and closer to his original timeline. The timing is not right, and he knows that in his heart. He’s also fiercely loyal, and I think that will play a part and not abandoning the program he built in the returning players at the worst possible time.

I wouldn’t blame him for whatever decision he makes, but count me in as one who thinks he will eventually return to stores and not take the job.

Reaction Score
Well that is true (cities not for everyone) , but then that begs the question why would people who prefer not to be in cities (which is fine, different strokes and all that) still feel the need to tear them down if they are never going to go there anyway?

And after much thought I came up with the same answer:

Envy combined with small peter syndrome.
Since I was a kid I have been hearing from everyone around me how inferior CT is relative to everywhere else. If you grew up in CT I think you know what I mean. I bet that explains some of it. Even Hollywood takes their shots at CT. It is a defensive response, which is understandable.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Since I was a kid I have been hearing from everyone around me how inferior CT is relative to everywhere else. If you grew up in CT I think you know what I mean. I bet that explains some of it. Even Hollywood takes their shots at CT. It is a defensive response, which is understandable.

Having grown up in Connecticut, there are not too many Nutmeggers that suffer from regional self-esteem problems. Usually the opposite is a bigger issue, at least in Fairfield County.

Reaction Score
Heres the thing with that.

That is EXACTLY the type of challenge Hurley relishes so he can prove everyone wrong and flip them the bird.
For better and worse, Danny can't help himself. He has an enormous chip on his shoulder, coupled with a massive ego. At some point, hubris will win. Maybe its now. For as much as I love him as a coach, I cannot for one minute get over the timing of this. If he does leave this team at this time, I feel like the last few years has been an act. The Danny we have all grown to love doesn't make this move yet. Not now. Not with what is potentially in front of this team. Maybe its due diligence. Maybe its postering. Time will tell. I stopped looking at social media and will wait to hear it from the man himself. IF he does leave, I get it. He has earned the right. Just like I have the right to slightly change my opinion of him.

Reaction Score
I would hope DB has been around practice enough to know how Konami and Luke interact with the players.. and that DB is skilled enough to make the best decision.. things can go really bad if he makes the wrong call.. just look what happened with RI when Hurley left…
EXACTLY. Never hire an assistant just to "keep the roster together."

Anyone heard of David Cox? No. Because he sucked, but when DH left Rhody, Cox was the assistant they had to hire to 'keep the players ', which he did for the most part...he just couldn't handle the move one chair over and actually coach them to win...even though DH left a pretty decent cupboard

Reaction Score
It's the job. It's the Lakers. He wouldn't be going through this to take over the Atlanta Hawks or Orlando Magic or Utah Jazz at this point in whatever loose plan he has as it pertains to an NBA coaching future. It's right now solely because it's the Lakers and the opportunity to run one of the most storied franchises in all of sports does not come around that often, and may never again, so obviously you have to really think about it, and if that requires on pushing up whatever timetable others (or even he himself) envisioned then it is what it is. Down the road maybe his scope of jobs he would entertain will broaden, but right now It pretty much could only be the Celtics, Knicks or Lakers that could even make him blink.

This sucks for the UConn program for so many reasons (if it comes to pass), but I cannot hold one iota of bitterness against Hurley for this no matter what he has ever said. He at least has always been forthcoming about his possible future aspirations. More than most, truth be told. Just lousy timing, but that is life. He's gotta look at it now if he truly wants to do this any time in the future. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity.

I hope he turns it down.
I get all of that. Just wished he qualified his statement with "unless an offer too good comes along" or "unless a team I really covet makes an offer". He never did. He always said it was in the distant future if ever. It's fine. I'm a big boy. I will get over it. Hope the program does as well but I have my doubts.

Reaction Score
It goes against everything he’s been saying and selling to the players/recruits.

The week after the new guys arrive.
Total Basshole move if he does it..
Well, I understand your point. He kept selling NBA dream in 5 to 10 years, as recently as this week. So yeah, he probably should not have put a number on it.

It is not a once in a lifetime opportunity. The Lakers job opens up every two years. And between knicks, celtics, 76ers, and philly, there is an opening almost every year.

As long as Danny is making deep runs sweet 16/elite 8 or better every other year, he still gets this same offer. Im sure Danny believes he can. Maybe not for top dollar, because he is as hot as an oven right now.

Reaction Score
Heres the thing with that.

That is EXACTLY the type of challenge Hurley relishes so he can prove everyone wrong and flip them the bird.
He'll put together a staff, adapt to the nba, and develop an NBA system.....just not yet. Three peat first then go to the NBA

Reaction Score
It's really of the lakers to make this offer now. Should've been right after the season ended. Now DH is in a position where he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. Turn down a lottery ticket or turn down AK, HD and the loaded staff he's assembled this offseason and potentially tarnish his reputation in regards to loyalty and his investment in his players. Jay Wright timed his exit perfectly and gave the program more of an opportunity regroup. Even K's farewell tour at least let everyone know what was coming.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
EXACTLY. Never hire an assistant just to "keep the roster together."

Anyone heard of David Cox? No. Because he sucked, but when DH left Rhody, Cox was the assistant they had to hire to 'keep the players ', which he did for the most part...he just couldn't handle the move one chair over and actually coach them to win...even though DH left a pretty decent cupboard

URI didn't have national title winning assistants and a potential top 10 roster on their hands.

Let's face it too.. URI after Hurley was more of them finding their middle ground anyways.

Reaction Score
I don't understand the reasoning. Most common complaint I hear is that CT is "boring" or there is "nothing to do," but I don't see people from Iowa or Kentucky or the other 90% non-destination states complaining about their homes.

Myself and friends have never been bored in CT, and I'm a current UConn student/young adult

Reaction Score
If this goes down.. Someone will (hopefully) open the check book to keep the roster (somewhat) in tact. Then we just need our Bill Guthridge..

Reaction Score
The NBA isn't a better job, it's a different job. Not higher level. Higher talent level.

It is a lateral move job wise, but better pay. It is not a promotion. And a completely different lifestyle.

But an entirely new challenge.

Reaction Score
In today's climate programs will find roster spots for talent upgrades. They'll all have options, and maybe they'll determine that UConn is still be their best choice

awy

Reaction Score
It's really of the lakers to make this offer now. Should've been right after the season ended. Now DH is in a position where he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. Turn down a lottery ticket or turn down AK, HD and the loaded staff he's assembled this offseason and potentially tarnish his reputation in regards to loyalty and his investment in his players. Jay Wright timed his exit perfectly and gave the program more of an opportunity regroup. Even K's farewell tour at least let everyone know what was coming.
basically this, blame lakers dysfunction and chaos. they are a clown organization.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
For the sake of my kid's middle school graduation that starts in about 2 hours, yes.
Understood. I don't want anyone getting hurt, especially kids.

How about a tremor that wouldn't cause any actual damage but would put a little scare in someone from the northeast. Then, when one of the locals says "this is nothing, we've had a lot worse" Danny and Andrea say "Thank you for your time, when can we fly back home?".

Reaction Score
I'll allow it. Middle school graduations are dumb anyway.
Kindergarten "graduations" are even dumber. My BIL's wife sent photos to the family chat of my niece dressed up in a graduation gown and cap. I mean REALLY? facepalm

Reaction Score
There does not seem to be any clarity on this.
  • Hurley turned down Kentucky in April.
  • The Lakers job opened in early May, but it's been reported that Ham knew he was done for a while before that.
  • All the publicly reported rumors (from Shams and co) about the Lakers job immediately after was on JJ Redick and some other NBA people (Ty Lue, Jason Kidd, Mike Budenholzer, Kenny Atkinson, etc.)
  • Woj reported yesterday: "Hurley has been at the forefront of the Lakers' search from the beginning of the process, even while the organization has done its due diligence interviewing several other candidates, sources said. " Including interviewing James Borrego twice.
So possibly Hurley was contacted early on and told the Lakers he wanted to take his time and enjoy the post-championship timeframe and get through the transfer portal and get his kids through the combine and roster set for the year. Or the Lakers are lying and he wasn't in the picture until recently. Or maybe Hurley initially said no and then changed his mind after all this NCAA revenue sharing, etc. stuff happened.
Good points

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom