Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 66 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

Reaction Score
Denzel Washington GIFs | Tenor

Reaction Score
If he leaves now there's a good chance we don't have a roster and that entire culture that was built is gone. It would be a total reset.
If he goes, there is a buyout and Kimani would most likely promoted at a salary of 2-3 mil which puts an additional 3 mil back into the budget for basketball to then filter through a collective to NIL. Will we lose players, sure, but we will have a roster, and the ball will still get tipped in November. The sky is not falling the standard from February 2023 to now was never going to be the standard for a decade, it's not the days of Wooden. We are a very blessed fan base. We'll take a step back but you should take a step back off the ledge

Reaction Score
According to @John_Fanta, UConn assistant Luke Murray (Bill Murray's son) plans on following Dan Hurley to the Lakers if he doesn't get the UConn HC job
https://post original url/NuuumWdfS8

Definitely not unexpected, but nice to hear he’d want the job in the first place over being an NBA assistant

He certainly has the brains for the job, everything else remains to be seen. Keeping 2/3 assistants on staff would go a long way in keeping this team together

Reaction Score
No one here (well one guy) knows what most motivates DH but I believe those talking about "generational wealth", as if DH is Latrell Sprewell and needs $20M per year to "feed his family", should think about who he has seemed to be thus far:

He's a northeast guy, Big East guy, family guy.

He's been a builder, so one draw for the Lakers' job may be the challenge of turning around a storied program.

He may be concerned about whether he'll have the resources he'll need to keep winning at UConn in the world of NIL and revenue sharing.

But, thinking logically, his contract at UConn will pay his bills.

He has seemed to enjoy developing players and helping them achieve their goals and he's been able to determine who those players are and choose those with the desire to win and grow.

He has a chance to put his name on a level no one but John Wooden has achieved.

So I don't think money will be the issue. If it was he could have gone to Kentucky this year or elsewhere next year after he wins #3.

It'll be the answers to questions like can I deal with over 100 games a season, can I accept being a coach in a players' league and will he and Andrea be happy in Southern California.

Reaction Score
Here is the ultimate kick in the teeth prediction. After DH spends 3-4 years in LA and has multi-generational wealth, his decision to go back to coaching college hoops will not lead to KU, UK, or any other blue blood. There's only one place he'll go, and it's not a return to UConn. It's Seton Hall.
My prediction is Hurley will never return to college bb if he leaves for the nba. He‘s not thrilled with the state of cbb and it’s only going to get worse. similar to why Jay Wright left.

Reaction Score
According to @John_Fanta, UConn assistant Luke Murray (Bill Murray's son) plans on following Dan Hurley to the Lakers if he doesn't get the UConn HC job

The problem there is that Kimani Young is clearly next in the pecking order and probably would not be willing to stay and be bypassed by Murray for the HC job in that scenario. I'm also not convinced the Lakers would be interested in Young, probably only Murray.

Reaction Score
The problem there is that Kimani Young is clearly next in the pecking order and probably would not be willing to stay and be bypassed by Murray for the HC job in that scenario. I'm also not convinced the Lakers would be interested in Young, probably only Murray.
Hurley is going to have his say on assistants. That I’m sure of.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Maybe it's easier for us itinerant musicians to subscribe to "wherever you go there you are" but it truly is the best mindset.
Except for Nebraska and Mississippi, because you are definitely in Nebraska or Mississippi if you're in Nebraska or Mississippi.

I was just talking about this with a consultant who was here this week in Essex at our place but lives and works in San Diego. Very different places obviously, and he was very excited to explore this area and liked it a lot. We were talking about places we lived over our years (I'm in my mid 50's he is slightly older) and I have lived in CA and he was asking me which I liked better. I told him (and this is the truth) that I have no preference, that I have found value in everywhere I have ever been. The trick is being comfortable with yourself and knowing yourself. Every place has something that can be celebrated and taken advantage of. Me personally, I am very into experiencing the unique differences of the places I have been and go, and I derive enjoyment out of learning what they are and how I relate to them. Obviously I have found that there are places that "fit" me better than others. But that is a personal thing on who I am more than a judgement on what an inanimate geographical location isn't . Right? And as I change places that "fit" me better change too. Crazy, right? ;)
- "wherever you go there you are" indeed.

Reaction Score
Just stay & continue to make history.

The days of where the coach in the NBA even matter are over- it’s a players league- nobody even knows who the Celtics coach is- Jason Kidd just bounces around & now is in the finals because of the players.

It’s all about the players- your impact is so much more greater in all ways in college- it’s not even close.

Sorry- just want to see Danny continue to make history & impact the game for the better. The NBA is not the place for that.

Reaction Score
Hurley is going to have his say on assistants. That I’m sure of.
Sure, but if Hurley takes the Lakers job, UConn will put out an offer on the next coach ASAP.

If Murray is offered, he'd probably take UConn HC over Lakers assistant.
If that happens, would Hurley/LAL want Young? I'm not convinced.
But would Young hold out and see if Murray goes with Hurley?

There are a lot of moving parts and the order of operations is awkard.

Hopefully this is all moot.

Reaction Score
If he goes, there is a buyout and Kimani would most likely promoted at a salary of 2-3 mil which puts an additional 3 mil back into the budget for basketball to then filter through a collective to NIL. Will we lose players, sure, but we will have a roster, and the ball will still get tipped in November. The sky is not falling the standard from February 2023 to now was never going to be the standard for a decade, it's not the days of Wooden. We are a very blessed fan base. We'll take a step back but you should take a step back off the ledge
I'm just being realistic about our situation. The buyout for Hurley isn't even $2m, it's not even a full season of salary for a new HC.

Reaction Score
The problem there is that Kimani Young is clearly next in the pecking order

Based on what? There is no pecking order. Interview them both and pick the winner. It would also be important to get the pulse of the team on this decision since keeping the roster intact is the reason we would be hiring one of the assistants.

Reaction Score
I doubt we’re keeping both and if Murray is the offensive mastermind he’s gotta be the pick.

awy

Reaction Score
Hurley can bring in his own guys no problem. the issue is uconn stands to lose one of the two. Kimani is a huge loss as well with his recruiting network and connections in the NY/PA area. it's a difficult problem.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Hurley knows this is really bad timing for Uconn. I can't imagine if he takes the job that he's going to want to gut the current uconn staff and roster. I would hope he'll leave some continuity behind.

Another good point made by a friend whose big NBA guy is he didn't think it would be likely the Lakers would want Hurley to bring his staff given their lack of experience. A lot of NBA assistants are former NBA players and even head coaches. The uconn staff has none of that. He seemed to believe it would be a lot to ask of a rookie HC and a rookie assistant coaching staff. He thought NBA experienced guys would be necessary for a smooth transition.

If he does take the job. Leaving Moore, Kimani and Luke behind would be the best case scenario. At that point you promote from within and hopefully the roster stays intact and we don't skip too many beats. Maybe that's wishful thinking but I don't think it's Hurleys character to completely gut a back to back national champ in the middle of June.
To me this would work just fine and with a lot less drama.
Just focus on basketball and developing players into NBA
talent as in the past.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Hurley can bring in his own guys no problem. the issue is uconn stands to lose one of the two. Kimani is a huge loss as well with his recruiting network and connections in the NY/PA area. it's a difficult problem.
And how do we know this? What if Kimani was offered the interim HC job (I think he would make a good choice).

Reaction Score
I think Hurley stays. That's what my gut says.

If he were to leave, it would leave a sour taste in my mouth - rightly or wrongly. I have unbelievable appreciation for what he's done for the program over the last years. We were in a dark place prior to his arrival. The last 2 years have been the program's best. My concern is that, if he were to leave at this time and under these circumstances, there's a very real risk that we quickly go back to where we were before he arrived. There could be a mass exodus and we'd be left with no way to fill those spots.

I always understood he might chase the NBA one day. I thought it'd be in another 5 years or so - and that after another 5 years of being a highly-ranked, championship caliber program, we'd be able to transition smoothly and keep the ball rolling.
We thought it would be down the road a bunch of years because that is what he said multiple times less than 2 months ago when making the interview rounds after the tourney and Kentucky thing. He didn't qualify that statement or anything. I guess the guy has a right to change his mind but man I was lulled into a false sense of security by simply believing the words that he said. Complete gut punch. If he leaves us in shambles i will have serious mixed emotions. I will be forever grateful for the rings and two great seasons, especially because I have been sick. As much as I love the championships, I love looking forward to and enjoying big UConn games when we are major contenders. If we are left without that for the foreseeable future it might leave a bitter taste. Hope it doesn't for too long.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't have any problem with any of this other than the timing. He built UConn back up and got us two nattys. He's having a giant bag thrown at him. But the timing is horrible. It will blow up a top 10 team without much opportunity to rebuild. It would leave the program in a tough spot. That would bother me immensely.

Reaction Score
IMHO it would be a major mistake for Dan Hurley to go to the Lakers!
YES the money will be un-godly!
The length of the contract will be unheard of!
But Hurley's talent lies in his philosophies, goals enjoyment is having college athletes follow his direction to the letter and willing to sacrifice for the "best for the team", NBA players earning upwards of $50 million a year eventually will tire of the college rah rah style Hurley uses! and it may tale a year or 2 but bet the ranch the conceited pros will tire of style!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom