Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 64 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

Reaction Score
Except all the reporting around discussions has specifically mentioned part of negotiations will be roster control for Hurley. If he goes it sounds like he will have at least some control over picking the players

The Lakers sound pretty freakin desperate to be willing to turn over roster control to a college coach.

I mean, I really don’t pay much attention to the NBA these days, but have things really become that dire in LA?

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
if giving luke the HC job is the way to keep luke then you gotta do it. it's the best long term decision and has extreme upside.

the recruits will stay for the most sought after assistant coach and offense mind in all of basketball.
I kind of like this scenario. UConn keeps Luke, Kimani and Tom Moore. Then look to back-fill.

Make Tom "interim" while AD decides who to elevate, vs who to bring in as HC.

Best place to wake.up from a nightmare scenario that I can come.up with....

Reaction Score
That’s a Dornier 328 with a range of about 1,700 miles. If it is they’ll have to stop to refuel.

Lakers can’t afford a bigger private jet? Chumps
“I am leaving on a jet plane, I don’t know when I will be back again”
Well you guys definitely have a way, way different interpretation of that picture than I do.

awy

Reaction Score
The Lakers sound pretty freakin desperate to be willing to turn over roster control to a college coach.

I mean, I really don’t pay much attention to the NBA these days, but have things really become that dire in LA?
every time the lakers descend into a dumpster fire someone actually good braves the raging flames to dumpster dive. it's the exorbitant privilege of being the lakers.

jeanie buss at least has the good sense to not drive the rescuer away.

Reaction Score
People who don't want to pay Dan should remember Kansas is a subsidized state University happy to pay Bill Self $9.5 M because championships attract alumni loyalty and donations and student attendance and tuition and legislative support and subsidies.

Reaction Score
People who don't want to pay Dan should remember Kansas is a subsidized state University happy to pay Bill Self $9.5 M because championships attract alumni loyalty and donations and student attendance and tuition and legislative support and subsidies.
They also make like 10x the media revenue we do from their conference

Reaction Score
No one is saying not to pay Hurley. People are saying that there is no difference between being top 3 and the highest when compared to a crazy NBA offer

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
It's envy combined with small peter syndrome. If you 1) can't hack it there 2)can't afford it there, then the obvious thing is to tear it down.

There's a lot of that but also, hey, cities aren't for everyone. I get it. Nobody's making you visit. And nobody's making you whine about that time you saw a homeless person.

Reaction Score

Post Kobe the Lakers have been one of the most poorly run franchises in the NBA. They have a bubble title that absolutely doesn't count and they've been through 6 (?) head coaches in 14 years.

Reaction Score
I kind of like this scenario. UConn keeps Luke, Kimani and Tom Moore. Then look to back-fill.

Make Tom "interim" while AD decides who to elevate, vs who to bring in as HC.

Best place to wake.up from a nightmare scenario that I can come.up with....
I think that the incoming freshmen would decommit and several of the others would try to find a way out as well.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Yesterday I was listening to Neal Brennan's Blocks podcast with George Wallace. In it, they were discussing making a lot of money vs making A LOT of money (aka Seinfeld $). They arrived at the conclusion that A LOT of money is really just too much money and about the only worthwhile thing you can purchase with A LOT of money over what you can purchase with just a lot of money is a private jet.

So, is Dan interested in flying lessons?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Let's put it in context. The shot at LA was a reply to a Marc D'Amelio's post (probably tongue and cheek) saying anyone thinking of moving from CT to LA should not make the same mistake he did.

It happens all the time here. People don't need much of an excuse at all to mouth off about where I live.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
There's a lot of that but also, hey, cities aren't for everyone. I get it. Nobody's making you visit. And nobody's making you whine about that time you saw a homeless person.

Well that is true (cities not for everyone) , but then that begs the question why would people who prefer not to be in cities (which is fine, different strokes and all that) still feel the need to tear them down if they are never going to go there anyway?

And after much thought I came up with the same answer:

Envy combined with small peter syndrome.

Reaction Score
Agree. It has to be Luke 100%.

I don't think anyone would argue about Luke being the offensive mastermind and we absolutely want him to stay, but the head coach needs to be a good motivator, in-game coach, and salesperson. Is Luke that person? Or is that person Kimani? Or Tom? I really don't know, asking the question in case someone else has insight?

Reaction Score
I get why Hurley would take Lakers job...I get why Hurley would stay at UConn...I respect whatever decision he makes.

If he decides to coach for the Lakers, I want him to be tremendously successfully. However...I fear that there are (at least) two issues which could hinder his potential success.

1. I believe that he will need to have Murray be a package deal. Having Murray on his Lakers staff will exponentially increase the odds of implementing a premier offensive system.

2. Even those who think Hurley is a slam dunk hire all agree that he'll need to change...Hurley is willing and able to adapt...no question...and I'm confident that he has made modifications at each new position in his career. But the NBA would be the biggest change and that means it is an unknown version of Hurley not the one that won back to back. This will take time.

Reaction Score
I think his decision is 50/50, but an NBA head coaching job is not easy. Last year, UConn played 7 regular season games outside of the Northeast with the vast majority of games within driving distance as the games were in Storrs, Hartford, NYC, NJ, and RI. You can actually be home at night. The NBA is a completely different animal with exhibition games, 41 road games, plus playoffs. You could be on the road for a week at a time. Preseason starts early October and the playoffs end mid June. And, you have the draft, rookie ball, free agency, developing relationships, etc. not to mention media demands. And don't forget, the players (and owners) run the league, not the coaches.

How many current NBA head coaches went from college head coach to NBA head coach? One, Billy Donovan.
Really the number of college head coaches who really can’t succeed at the NBA level is high. Even the ones who do are more “we make the playoffs every year.” Not we win championships. Donovan has one Conference final. Pitino, Calipari, couldn’t succeed. Brad Stevens is arguably more successful as an executive than a head coach. Plus in the NBA the players are the stars. The coaches are honestly a dime a dozen.

I think Hurley goes. But I think he doesn’t stay too long

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I don't think anyone would argue about Luke being the offensive mastermind and we absolutely want him to stay, but the head coach needs to be a good motivator, in-game coach, and salesperson. Is Luke that person? Or is that person Kimani? Or Tom? I really don't know, asking the question in case someone else has insight?
Kimani

Reaction Score
Can’t see a scenario where Hurley is bringing two college assistants with him to this job. He needs some bench coaches with real NBA experience. My guess is he takes one guy and then fills out his staff with people from across the league like Adrian Griffin, Van Gundy etc. Almost a guarantee there will be a coach on that staff with previous head coaching NBA experience. Just don’t see him bringing Kimani & Luke with him.
NBA coaching staffs have like 6 assistant coaches and 6 player development coaches.

It would not be a stretch to bring 2 college guys and round them out with a bunch of NBA guys.

That being said, UConn HC would be more prestigious and pay better than NBA assistant coach, so we'd likely be able to pick which staff member stays.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
In that case she probably had nothing better to do on an overcast Friday. So now I will tell myself that if Bob Hurley Sr. stayed at the high school level despite offers to coach a college team, Dan will remain at UConn.
Well, if that logic actually applied, wouldn't Dan have stayed at Saint Benedict's?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom