Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 65 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I think Hurley goes. But I think he doesn’t stay too long
Here is the ultimate kick in the teeth prediction. After DH spends 3-4 years in LA and has multi-generational wealth, his decision to go back to coaching college hoops will not lead to KU, UK, or any other blue blood. There's only one place he'll go, and it's not a return to UConn. It's Seton Hall.

awy

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone would argue about Luke being the offensive mastermind and we absolutely want him to stay, but the head coach needs to be a good motivator, in-game coach, and salesperson. Is Luke that person? Or is that person Kimani? Or Tom? I really don't know, asking the question in case someone else has insight?
kimani is absolutely amazing and can lead a program, but this skill set is easier to replace compared to luke's. ideally you want to keep both but if really forced to choose then the long term play should be the one with paradigm changing innovation.

also, Luke's system is not all that suitable for the lakers current roster, but they'll still try to go hard to get him because of how good the offense is. so in terms of the strength of outside offers that need to be matched to keep them around, Luke's outside options are better.

Reaction Score
Well that is true (cities not for everyone) , but then that begs the question why would people who prefer not to be in cities (which is fine, different strokes and all that) still feel the need to tear them down if they are never going to go there anyway?

And after much thought I came up with the same answer:

Envy combined with small peter syndrome.
Maybe it's easier for us itinerant musicians to subscribe to "wherever you go there you are" but it truly is the best mindset.
Except for Nebraska and Mississippi, because you are definitely in Nebraska or Mississippi if you're in Nebraska or Mississippi.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I'm not going to bother reading the whole thread to see if anyone else is hoping that meeting Jeanie Buss is enough to turn the Hurley's off the whole idea. Because ultimately that's who he is going to have to deal with, even more so than Lebron.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Off the court, have you ever seen a more chill dude than Hurley? Should play out well in LA.
You may have a point Dove. If any place is going to be accepting of their coach burning sage to cleanse the arena of bad vibes, it's LA. (Or Storrs, apparently.)

Reaction Score
We hate prosperity. Climbing the mountain yet again gets harder in the new CBB climate
If he goes, he leaves behind a two-time defending champ who finished number one in Kenpom the last two years in a conference with several natural rivals. This is not the same situation as taking over the 179th-ranked Kenpom and flying to Oklahoma on Tuesday night. I understand winning titles is hard but let's not pretend the climb is harder from where we are now than where we were then.

Reaction Score
That's my take. He'll prob get 2-3 years in LA, bank a ton of $ through salary and endorsements then do the Jay Wright media thing. Not a bad way to spend the next 10 years. I hope he stays and sees the 3-peat attempt through.

CL82

Reaction Score
“Literally a blank check”

Hard to sound dumber then when someone says this. Give him the entire franchise then? Why not more?

He’s being offered a ton of money for sure. Pretending it’s “literally” any number he wants is braindead
And the stress of the wait starts making people cranky.... :)

Reaction Score
Someone mentioned it earlier but the best thing for him to do is come back and
let the Knicks know that he is ready when they are. Not leave UConn in a dumpster fire, shoot for 3 peat, wait for the best possible job for him. Probably only a year or two wait.

CL82

Reaction Score
It happens all the time here. People don't need much of an excuse at all to mouth off about where I live.
You live in LA?

Reaction Score
That's my take. He'll prob get 2-3 years in LA, bank a ton of $ through salary and endorsements then do the Jay Wright media thing. Not a bad way to spend the next 10 years. I hope he stays and sees the 3-peat attempt through.
100% - I’d say 4-5 years & then he’s an analyst. This is too big of an opportunity for him to turn down.

Reaction Score
If he goes, he leaves behind a two-time defending champ who finished number one in Kenpom the last two years in a conference with several natural rivals. This is not the same situation as taking over the 179th-ranked Kenpom and flying to Oklahoma on Tuesday night. I understand winning titles is hard but let's not pretend the climb is harder from where we are now than where we were then.
If he leaves now there's a good chance we don't have a roster and that entire culture that was built is gone. It would be a total reset.

Reaction Score
I'm embarrassed to share this, but, I kinda like some of you.

This morning, I woke up crying.
I am hoping the newcomers Tarris Reed Jr., Aidan Mahaney, and Liam McNeeley as well a Alex Karaban, who decided to return, were the ones crying and hopefully in front of Hurley. That will make it tougher for him to leave.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
If he leaves now there's a good chance we don't have a roster and that entire culture that was built is gone. It would be a total reset.

If, say, KY got the job we'd have a shot at keeping a lot of guys. Especially if LM also stayed. (Big salary bumps for both.) Guys might still leave but that would be the only shot.

Reaction Score
I'm a Providence fan but I hope Hurley stays, because it's good for the Big East (and I never watch the NBA). I remember he went through the whole gamut when deciding to leave URI for Connecticut, so it wouldn't shock me if he turned down the Lakers.

If he does leave, I think it would be a mistake to hire Young or Murray just to keep recruits. If the administration is convinced that one of them is the best for the long-term, fine, but otherwise it would be a mistake.
Well it’s so late it would probably have to be interim basis anyway, just to try to keep a team together for the season

Reaction Score
Why should he care? It's a public university in a crappy conference and loses tons of money on athletics. There's no way any coach at UConn should be the highest paid. He's paid a lot. Plenty. This isn't about money, if it is then he's gone anyway.
Money is always a factor. Always. It's certainly not the only one and perhaps not the biggest one or deciding one in thi
Was talking about the growing gap between power conferences and non power conferences. if there is a mass exodus of players and staff, it won't matter what our Kenpom is.

Reaction Score
The question is does DH care? Or should he?

Reaction Score
People who don't want to pay Dan should remember Kansas is a subsidized state University happy to pay Bill Self $9.5 M because championships attract alumni loyalty and donations and student attendance and tuition and legislative support and subsidies.
Also, the cost of losing Hurley is assuredly bigger than the cost of retaining him. A string of mediocre seasons from a new coach means donations fall, season ticket renewals drop, NIL funds dry up, etc. That’s a much bigger loss than paying up for Hurley.

The Big East is basically on borrowed time with the NCAA and the P4. Our basketball program is our lifeline to get an invite if the whole thing blows us. Paying Hurley $10M/year is worth it when the alternative is a real chance that our next coach is a Kevin Ollie and tanks the program.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
I think that the incoming freshmen would decommit and several of the others would try to find a way out as well.
I cannot disagree.

But this is an inherent problem whenever a HC leaves.

So many recruits and their families commit (and rightly so) to the HC and his program. Not the laundry.

We fans, otoh, ....well, we are (I am, at least) completely committed to the laundry.

awy

Reaction Score
According to @John_Fanta, UConn assistant Luke Murray (Bill Murray's son) plans on following Dan Hurley to the Lakers if he doesn't get the UConn HC job

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom