Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 62 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

Reaction Score
Hurley knows this is really bad timing for Uconn. I can't imagine if he takes the job that he's going to want to gut the current uconn staff and roster. I would hope he'll leave some continuity behind.

Another good point made by a friend whose big NBA guy is he didn't think it would be likely the Lakers would want Hurley to bring his staff given their lack of experience. A lot of NBA assistants are former NBA players and even head coaches. The uconn staff has none of that. He seemed to believe it would be a lot to ask of a rookie HC and a rookie assistant coaching staff. He thought NBA experienced guys would be necessary for a smooth transition.

If he does take the job. Leaving Moore, Kimani and Luke behind would be the best case scenario. At that point you promote from within and hopefully the roster stays intact and we don't skip too many beats. Maybe that's wishful thinking but I don't think it's Hurleys character to completely gut a back to back national champ in the middle of June.

Reaction Score
The Lakers will pitch Hurley on being their Erik Spoelstra and emulating a mix of "Heat Culture" and Hurley's culture. This isn't just about the LeBron/AD era, since that's almost over. Hurley has to consider that the Lakers org is not the Heat and is a poorly run franchise compared by comparison. I still think he takes it because he can return to college in a few years if he hates the NBA.

Reaction Score
x.com

Obviously we can't compete with the Lakers offering him $15m, but it's pretty disappointing that UConn can't even make him the highest paid coach in the sport and get to $10m. "Top 3 highest paid" is simply not good enough and shows we aren't doing everything possible to make him stay.
I thought everyone here just loved the Big East so much and didn't want a power conference move?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
It's a big city. LA County's population exceeds that of 42 states. Like every big city there are safe areas and less than safe areas. And there are plenty of safe areas to raise a family, "blue collar" or not.

Not that any of this matters for a guy who's probably plunking down $15M to live in Manhattan Beach.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'll never understand where people get off crapping all over cities where people on this board live. I don't crap on anybody's town. I have my opinions and I keep to myself because I'm not into gratuitously insulting people's life choices.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The pending NBA TV contract means that real money has become monopoly money to the NBA. These franchises will be able to pay virtually anything to anyone. On the other hand, when you have that much revenue locked in, why spend anything? Winning doesn't matter anymore, you are getting paid just for showing up. The League will still have to pay the players a fixed percentage of the league revenue, but what incentive is there to pay a coach $10 million/year instead of $5 million/year?

Reaction Score
I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'll never understand where people get off crapping all over cities where people on this board live. I don't crap on anybody's town. I have my opinions and I keep to myself because I'm not into gratuitously insulting people's life choices.
Unfortunately, that’s how a lot of this country works
Everybody’s got something to say about things that aren’t their own business

Reaction Score
The hate generally only goes in one direction. People from Indiana or Missouri for example will crap on NYC all day long, and my first thought is what did I do and my second thought is why is someone from Indiana or Missouri even thinking of NYC because I never even think about Indiana or Missouri let alone have an opinion informed or worth expressing about those places.

Reaction Score
He already has crazy money and will only make more here. Just stop.
If money is not his main motivation you very likely are correct. I was thinking that raw money was not his top factor but I was wrong once.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
x.com

Obviously we can't compete with the Lakers offering him $15m, but it's pretty disappointing that UConn can't even make him the highest paid coach in the sport and get to $10m. "Top 3 highest paid" is simply not good enough and shows we aren't doing everything possible to make him stay.
Why should he care? It's a public university in a crappy conference and loses tons of money on athletics. There's no way any coach at UConn should be the highest paid. He's paid a lot. Plenty. This isn't about money, if it is then he's gone anyway.

Reaction Score
My 2 cents - he doesn't owe us anything BUT if he does accept the job, the timing of this is god awful, as others have said. Do this after the season ends, not in the middle of June when everything else is set roster wise across the country, etc. If it is Luke, Kimani or someone outside, hopefully they are able to keep the majority of the roster intact.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score

It's envy combined with small peter syndrome. If you 1) can't hack it there 2)can't afford it there, then the obvious thing is to tear it down.

Reaction Score
My 2 cents - he doesn't owe us anything BUT if he does accept the job, the timing of this is god awful, as others have said. Do this after the season ends, not in the middle of June when everything else is set roster wise across the country, etc. If it is Luke, Kimani or someone outside, hopefully they are able to keep the majority of the roster intact.
The NBA season was still going strong after NCAA season.

Reaction Score
Lakers saying they don't want him leaving town without signing--ESPN says UConn will be able to counteroffer.
I agree Uconn needs to come up close to $10 M (top in college) even though it won't match L.A.

Reaction Score
Why should he care? It's a public university in a crappy conference and loses tons of money on athletics. There's no way any coach at UConn should be the highest paid. He's paid a lot. Plenty. This isn't about money, if it is then he's gone anyway.
My feelings too. As long as it's a competitive offer, I'm not bothered if it is the highest or not. What happens if Alabama restructures Nate Oates contract to12M? We give Hurley 13M?

Reaction Score
Also, he should owe it to us not to ditch us in the middle of June once the entire team has already moved in and the transfer portal is closed. This is the type of move that sets us back 3+ years. All of 2025 recruiting momentum, done. Roster will be decimated. Future coach will be coming in April and our new roster will be like Louisville’s with 12 transfers. Just a total disaster.
You don’t think the players would stay for Luke or Kimani? If he takes them both with him and we have to hire externally then I think we’re definitely screwed.

Reaction Score
If Danny leaves like this, it will set the Program back a few years at least. In this environment and the state of the Big East, we can easily turn into our Football program.

Reaction Score
I think his decision is 50/50, but an NBA head coaching job is not easy. Last year, UConn played 7 regular season games outside of the Northeast with the vast majority of games within driving distance as the games were in Storrs, Hartford, NYC, NJ, and RI. You can actually be home at night. The NBA is a completely different animal with exhibition games, 41 road games, plus playoffs. You could be on the road for a week at a time. Preseason starts early October and the playoffs end mid June. And, you have the draft, rookie ball, free agency, developing relationships, etc. not to mention media demands. And don't forget, the players (and owners) run the league, not the coaches.

How many current NBA head coaches went from college head coach to NBA head coach? One, Billy Donovan.

Reaction Score
Ok, or once the Lakers season ended and fired Ham - well over a month ago or so
People arent exactly lining up for this lakers job. Prior to Hurley, the hottest rumor so far is freaking JJ Reddick.

Reaction Score
Well if you hire a current coach away from someone, he would be able to bring his players to replace anyone who might leave

Reaction Score
Let's put it in context. The shot at LA was a reply to a Marc D'Amelio's post (probably tongue and cheek) saying anyone thinking of moving from CT to LA should not make the same mistake he did.

Reaction Score
I think his decision is 50/50, but an NBA head coaching job is not easy. Last year, UConn played 7 regular season games outside of the Northeast with the vast majority of games within driving distance as the games were in Storrs, Hartford, NYC, NJ, and RI. You can actually be home at night. The NBA is a completely different animal with exhibition games, 41 road games, plus playoffs. You could be on the road for a week at a time. Preseason starts early October and the playoffs end mid June. And, you have the draft, rookie ball, free agency, developing relationships, etc. not to mention media demands. And don't forget, the players (and owners) run the league, not the coaches.

How many current NBA head coaches went from college head coach to NBA head coach? One, Billy Donovan.
But Donovan didnt leave Florida like this. This would be a total surprise and would leave a very bitter taste at UConn, regardless of what DH has accomplished. DH could always get a good NBA gig - but you do it with some transition plan in place. Thats the problem I have.

Reaction Score

Training camp starts in September and summer league in July so that’s 11 month a year job. Hurley has a lot of pros and cons to think about.

The entire NBA season is longer then baseball season.

Reaction Score
You don’t think the players would stay for Luke or Kimani? If he takes them both with him and we have to hire externally then I think we’re definitely screwed.
A few might, but the majority would be in the portal by day 2

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom