Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 60 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

Reaction Score
Kimani and Luke show.

They were probably on their way out anyway. Easy transition.

I’m good with this scenario.
lol if you think DH isn't taking Luke with him you haven't been paying attention

Reaction Score
I don't know if the following information has already been posted here, don't have the bandwidth to check.

A very reliable Insider on another board I frequent says the Lakers' offer is literally a blank check. DH will take it & return to college in a few years if he hates the NBA. By that time the Kansas job will probably be open.

FWIW
People say the darnest things.

Reaction Score
I don't know if the following information has already been posted here, don't have the bandwidth to check.

A very reliable Insider on another board I frequent says the Lakers' offer is literally a blank check. DH will take it & return to college in a few years if he hates the NBA. By that time the Kansas job will probably be open.

FWIW
“Literally a blank check”

Hard to sound dumber then when someone says this. Give him the entire franchise then? Why not more?

He’s being offered a ton of money for sure. Pretending it’s “literally” any number he wants is braindead

Reaction Score
The state needs to pony up the cash, I don't blame Dave Bennedict if it doesn't happen. I'm sure he would love to make DH the highest paid coach in college basketball.

Reaction Score
Can someone explain why the NBA job is easier than UConn? On the surface the Lakers job seems much more demanding. I get recruiting can be difficult but has recruiting ever been easier for UConn and DH than it is right now? Per Dan Hurley our roster has never been deeper than it is right now. Much of our recent success is because of the portal. Karaban is not coming back without NIL.

If UConn is burning him out then God help him in the NBA.
NBA coaches have the summer off, they don’t need to re-recruit their players and they don’t seem to have much of a hand in scouting the draft. College coaches if they work their kids in the summer like Hurley does, they have a couple of weeks vacation from this hell of dealing with us idiots

Reaction Score
You want to build a culture ? Turn down a brinks truck from Kentucky and the LA Lakers in the space of two months. I would think that would make a few people stand up and take notice. That's a "culture" that's bigger than UConn IMHO. And it would say a lot about Dan Hurley, that's for sure.

Yeah, I'm reaching. Whatever.

Reaction Score
I am 50/50 on what he does:
How much money is enough money?
How do you look at the transfers and incoming freshman in the face when you preach loyalty and then take a money grab?
I don't think money is the main factor. Sure, it's a factor, but I think how much control the Lakers are willing to give him is much more important to him than $5-10M/year extra he could make. This literally may be a once in a lifetime opportunity (becoming the head coach with full buy-in from ownership for the most storied franchise in basketball) and if he turns it down, he may never get another opportunity this good.
And even 2-3 years down the road, he failed miserably trying to turn the Lakers into a champion, he'll still be able to come back to the college game and pretty much take his pick of a job for tons of $$$. It's really a no-lose situation for him.
Only thing that could hold him back now is his loyalty to the kids he recruited. That and his familiarity and love of the New England area. But I'm sure all of them will understand if he decides to leave, which at this point I think is 98%.

Reaction Score
NBA coaches have the summer off,

I don't believe that for a second, and I'm sure our head coach could take at least 10 weeks off per year. (not all at once) There should be nothing stopping him from doing that. We have a great coaching staff to help him out.

Reaction Score
From the moment the news broke I've believed this will come down to whether the Lakers can or cannot convince Hurley that they will allow him to build what he wants and that they will always have his back when a star complains that he isn't being allowed to do what he wants to do.

I still believe that it will come down to this (but also believe that at some point the Lakers will no longer honor their promise, which will be the end of the DH/LA experiment).

We should know by Tuesday, possibly earlier, Wednesday at the latest.
Thanks for the hot news on timing, while every single NBA source says this will play out over the weekend quickly

Reaction Score
He’s has done what he was hired for …tenfold. But I can see the equivalency of Kentucky and LA. Who would have thought Andrew in school would be so important? If he had another year or two this question never gets entertained. The timing sadly is perfect. But I too wish that Dan wants to be more coach k than any of the other college coaches who took the leap. He should definitely go to the league, but after this freshman class.

Reaction Score
I agree with the posters saying it isn't about the money. I think it's about how he's allowed to run the team. He basically has free reign at UConn. All the egos get checked at the door. It's another story in the NBA. Will the players be receptive to his style of coaching? Can they check their egos at the door? I'm not so sure. I know they want him to develop the new recruits, but they sure don't have a good track record of giving coaches enough time to do it.

Reaction Score
This I'm unsure of.
The head coach of the 2 could would make more at uconn
Would head a blue blood
And could be an instant legend if they have success.

They would be replacing Dan Hurley. If we don't think head coach at uconn is a high profile position then how can we expect dan to consider it one.
I agree with this play too. Turning down Kentucky and the NBA version in LA would speak volumes. But the timing in his life is just too perfect.

Reaction Score
If UConn offers a lifetime contract starting at $7-8M + State Pension (+30%), it'll get you close to $10M/yr. The Lakers will likely offer $15M for 7 years. From a net cash standpoint it isn't a slam dunk. It'll come down to establishing a dynasty at UConn (a la Geno), QOL and the challenge of coaching in the NBA. That said, I still think it's 80% Hurley leaves, but with each passing day - starting Tuesday - the odds start to shift toward UConn. If Hurley does leave, keeping the existing coaching staff in place will be key (i.e., an external hire for the upcoming season would be a disaster)

Reaction Score
People are so dumb.

This is the $14M a year and the Los Angeles lakers. It is Lebron and AD next year plus a Kent star.

Giannis is headed there in the future.

i said him going to Kentucky made no sense. But this is the lakers.

Showtime ,Shaq, Kobe, wilt, Kareem, and now LeBron.

Holy crap.
Uh, no. None of those players will be there in a season or two and the only one there now is well on the way down.

Reaction Score
A lot of people saying this but I think Hurley owes a lot to UConn. His other offer out of URI was Pitt and if he uses the UConn job as a springboard for an NBA job, he owes everything to uconn.
I fall on this side of the "what does Hurley owe UConn?" side of things, too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom