Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 59 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

Reaction Score
He's coming off 2 national championships. He's media friendly and a real personality. His star has never shined brighter. The biggest NBA brand in the hottest NBA city is calling and begging to make you a mondo offer. He'd be insane to not take this very seriously.
There is no "next time."

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
It seems like every time our program gains momentum something happens that stops us right in our tracks and we have to claw our way back.
This is the way

Reaction Score
Last article I read said they’re discussing contract parameters…. I don’t see how he doesn’t take the job. From BTB champs to a rebuild…

Reaction Score
This is like a bad dream. I blame myself for reading a few of those « three-peat » type posts! Obviously Hurley should absolutely live his life and best of luck to him. If he leaves - his time here was legendary, if he comes back he’s a God.

Reaction Score
Last article I read said they’re discussing contract parameters…. I don’t see how he doesn’t take the job. From BTB champs to a rebuild…
Which article? I mean I’m sure they are looking at what the lakers will offer. A contract being put in front of him was always the deal, it’s whether he wants it or not

Reaction Score
He's at the top of his profession at this exact moment. Anything short of a "three"peat Championship next season and his stock likely goes down slightly. He can't take for granted a Max Salary offer from a top NBA franchise. These opportunities are never guaranteed (see Ollie). Just please promise us on the way out that if you ever return to College you don't end up at the likes of a Duke or KY.

Reaction Score
One thing Dan should tell the Lakers owners is that if he has to draft Bronny, he's not taking the job. I know it's just pick 56, but still. I really hope some other team takes him earlier than that.
First demand should be they trade Lebron lol

Reaction Score
One of Hurley’s best traits is his leadership qualities. You can’t be a leader of grown men in the NBA. I think Hurley knows this and can adapt his coaching style to fit the league, however, I think he understands that his bread is buttered.

Hurley hasn’t wanted the some of the best recruits because they are “program killers”. That’s a majority of who he will be coaching. I don’t think he’s the type of guy who can sleep at night knowing there are guys who don’t give a damn about winning/losing or how they carry themselves on and off the court.

You absolutely entertain the offer and maybe he ends up taking it, but I truly don’t believe he’s fit for the league. Let’s be honest, he’s said that Luke is the mastermind of the X’s and O’s. He’s best traits are leadership and pushing the right buttons and getting players to buy in and know their roles. I don’t think he can do that with the Lakers.

It has been mentioned the Lakers and him will talk about the role - does this imply to anyone that maybe it’s not just coaching but more of a coach/GM role?

Reaction Score
Yes, she's going. It's been reported. She's meeting with some different people. Cue the house hunting reports at some stage.
In that case she probably had nothing better to do on an overcast Friday. So now I will tell myself that if Bob Hurley Sr. stayed at the high school level despite offers to coach a college team, Dan will remain at UConn.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
I don't know if the following information has already been posted here, don't have the bandwidth to check.

A very reliable Insider on another board I frequent says the Lakers' offer is literally a blank check. DH will take it & return to college in a few years if he hates the NBA. By that time the Kansas job will probably be open.

FWIW

Reaction Score
It seems like every time our program gains momentum something happens that stops us right in our tracks and we have to claw our way back.
Yep, and eventually the music will stop. I rarely agree w Mike Greenberg on anything college related, but this move does sort of feel like the beginning of the end.

Reaction Score
C’mon … appreciate your opinion but they wouldn’t be hired to keep recruits from leaving, they would be hired because they are two of the best coaches in the country.
They've been great assistant coaches, which may or may not translate to the next level. Given that UConn will have plenty of suitors, it's an important consideration.
For some reason, I keep thinking he's going to stay, so hopefully this is a moot conversation.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I don't know if the following information has already been posted here, don't have the bandwidth to check.

A very reliable Insider on another board I frequent says the Lakers' offer is literally a blank check. DH will take it & return to college in a few years if he hates the NBA. By that time the Kansas job will probably be open.

FWIW
And Andrea would want to live in Kansas?? Come on

Reaction Score
He's coming off 2 national championships. He's media friendly and a real personality. His star has never shined brighter. The biggest NBA brand in the hottest NBA city is calling and begging to make you a mondo offer. He'd be insane to not take this very seriously.
There is no "next time."
Don’t agree that their is no next time- he was projected as the favorite to win it again this year- no next time is totally false.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Off the court, have you ever seen a more chill dude than Hurley? Should play out well in LA.

Reaction Score
Looks like it’s happening. I’m very sad. Hopefully the staff remains ….our best chance at keeping players.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
One of Hurley’s best traits is his leadership qualities. You can’t be a leader of grown men in the NBA. I think Hurley knows this and can adapt his coaching style to fit the league, however, I think he understands that his bread is buttered.

Hurley hasn’t wanted the some of the best recruits because they are “program killers”. That’s a majority of who he will be coaching. I don’t think he’s the type of guy who can sleep at night knowing there are guys who don’t give a damn about winning/losing or how they carry themselves on and off the court.

You absolutely entertain the offer and maybe he ends up taking it, but I truly don’t believe he’s fit for the league. Let’s be honest, he’s said that Luke is the mastermind of the X’s and O’s. He’s best traits are leadership and pushing the right buttons and getting players to buy in and know their roles. I don’t think he can do that with the Lakers.

It has been mentioned the Lakers and him will talk about the role - does this imply to anyone that maybe it’s not just coaching but more of a coach/GM role?
I get the money and the Lakers being the basketball brand. I just have a hard time seeing him out there. If he takes it, he takes it and I won't hold any grudges or be completely flummoxed by the decision. But to me, I just don't get the fit. It's a celebrity dominated city, the team is run by LeBron and the stars. It's tinsel town. It's a fake ass town full of fake ass people and it's all a mirage. I think it'd drive him crazy. Knicks, Nets, Celtics? 100% get it. If I saw that headline yesterday, I'd say.. "Yea, that makes sense."
Phil Jackson was a leader of grown men. Michael Jordan listened to Jackson. Kobe listened to Jackson. If you’re authentic and consistent you can lead grown men. I think DH has those qualities.

It doesn’t matter if it’s a fake city. The Lakers have a championship pedigree. DH said the reason he came to UConn is because we had a championship pedigree.

I hope he stays but I would understand his decanting to coach in the NBA.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
From the moment the news broke I've believed this will come down to whether the Lakers can or cannot convince Hurley that they will allow him to build what he wants and that they will always have his back when a star complains that he isn't being allowed to do what he wants to do.

I still believe that it will come down to this (but also believe that at some point the Lakers will no longer honor their promise, which will be the end of the DH/LA experiment).

We should know by Tuesday, possibly earlier, Wednesday at the latest.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom