Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 57 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

Reaction Score
I think he’s gone. Too much money, and he flew to them. We will not recover if this happens. Ever. The new landscape will make it hard for any coach at a non P4/3/2 and we’ll lose the current roster and be starting from scratch again.
I think you have to go out out there in order to get a good feel for it, no? Like you need to see the facilities see people face to face and that’s how you make a good judgment call. His wife will most likely be there, (not a bad thing at all) and I trust his gut, he will see through the smokes and mirrors and the wine and dine crap. If he still wants to go, I support him 100% and I’ll be sad but it’s going to happen one day anyway, sometimes it’s best to rip off the bandaid, at then end of the day my gut says he stays. It could truly go either way, if you coach college football and the cowboys or patriots aggressively court you, of course you need to atleast interview because you just can’t pass that opportunity to even just hear them out more than anything.

Reaction Score
We need to understand that ANY coach in this position has to at least HEAR out arguably the greatest franchise in sports, what Hurley has done for our program, from being a shell of itself to the premier program in college basketball, is nothing short of remarkable, he deserves all the time he needs to make a decision on a career and life-altering choice for not only him but his family, cmon y’all

Reaction Score
We need to understand that ANY coach in this position has to at least HEAR out arguably the greatest franchise in sports, what Hurley has done for our program, from being a shell of itself to the premier program in college basketball, is nothing short of remarkable, he deserves all the time he needs to make a decision on a career and life-altering choice for not only him but his family, cmon y’all
Exactly, if he leaves we just won 2 national champs in a row! We will be fine, history has shown we’ve been in much dire straights and have come out of it okay. I still hold out hope he stays but no sense on worrying about something you can’t control

Reaction Score
Seems to me it should be a happier life coaching talented kids in a top program vs. the grind in the NBA. Hurley must be talking about that with someone: his father.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I get Hurley taking a deep dive on this opportunity. In a few years, he will be too old to be a rookie NBA Head Coach with no experience in the League. There is a bit of "now or never" to Hurley coaching pro.

Reaction Score
Image of Don't get on that plane today.

Reaction Score
Am I the only one who thinks it’s already a massive failure that our contract offer to Hurley only puts him in the top 5 highest paid coaches? The dude is being courted by the freaking Lakers. He just won back to back championships. He’s the best coach in the country by far at this point. Benedict failed us if he cannot scrape together an extra couple million to make Hurley the highest paid college coach.
Just says top 5 in the country. Doesn't say pro, college, football, basketball... I mean, for UConn to pay top 5 nationally is kind of a big deal given our budget. Orrrrrrr... Fanta didn't to add a bit more context to his tweet.

Reaction Score
At some point it's just stockpiling cash. He's already worth many millions. If he leaves it'll be for the opportunity to prove himself at the highest level.
And it’s not like UConn is under paying him. I am sure his next deal will be 8 or 9 per. There is a bit of ego in this move. I don’t think Danny expected this meteoric rise to the top so quickly and he is enjoying it. Good for him. That said, my guess is it won’t take long in the nba for him to realize he misses the college game.

Reaction Score
IMO, Hurley also owes a quick decision for the sake of the staff and players on the MBB team as well as the University. His decision, this late in the season, can have life altering consequences for those mentioned.

Reaction Score
I could not disagree more with this. All the things you’re talking about Hurley having at UConn are the result of nonstop dedication to every aspect of what makes a program successful and range of those demands are only increasing. It’s like keeping a bunch of spinning plates moving and there are more plates every year.

If the job was just about recruiting and coaching guys that you’d know you were going to coach for a couple years I’d be much more comfortable that he’d be staying.
The dedication that Danny puts in won’t stop in the nba. It’s in his dna. But what will happen when the Lakers go 2-5 on a 7 day road trip? It will eat at him. Sure, the summers are definitely easier but I don’t for one minute believe the nba season will be less demanding on him.

Reaction Score
Two last things,

I've seen people mention Hurley should talk to Billy Donovan and I think that makes a lot of sense as far as college to nba transition. As far as lifestyle, granted it's still college, does he know mick so he can see what LA life is like? From someone first hand.

People say he doesn't owe anything to anyone accept family. I'd be inclined to add in his roster of players and assistant coaches.
I love your last point. That’s my biggest hang up and what angers me. The timing of this can’t be worse. How do you walk away from a top 3 team and have kids come back/pull out of draft and leave them high and dry in June. That’s the most unlike Dan Hurley thing ever. Not once did I think he would entertain Kentucky. I am worried here, not just for him leaving, but what the next 30 days might look like. We will see poaching like never before.

Reaction Score
I don't begrudge the idea of hearing an offer, or even if he were to take an offer at some point, it just sucks that this would drop an atomic bomb on the team in a situation where it's never been harder to prepare for the following season if you get completely wiped clean.

Reaction Score
I think he’s gone. Too much money, and he flew to them. We will not recover if this happens. Ever. The new landscape will make it hard for any coach at a non P4/3/2 and we’ll lose the current roster and be starting from scratch again.
Nothing lasts forever. Just be thankful you were able to witness the very best of UConn. You will always have those memories. The Lakers are ja great opportunity for Coach Hurley and his family. THe money he could potentially make will be life changing. He can’t pass that up.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
No - he didn't. I've heard different things - he either got an offer and it wasn't good enough or there wasn't an offer. So no, he didn't.

Benedict NEEDS to have some balls right now. Pay him over 10. He has to.
No way this State University pays him $10 mil.
Food for thought:

How good/stable is DH without his coaching staff which is the BEST in the country?

How hard is it to replace him with one of the staff (probably Kimani) as interim?

Tell you what; I've stopped obsessing about this. Change is not necessarily a bad thing. It's resistance to change that is almost always more painful (and unnecessary).

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
If anything this should give perspective on how the rest of the world views DH:
It's not just a uconn love fest. UK, The Lakers, Magic: are all under the impression that success is a no-brainer with the hire of this ONE man.
They need to look a little deeper like down the coaching staff bench.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
If he leaves now HOF is a coin toss unless he wins as an NBA coach.
This is great point. In an earlier post I said much the same as your last two points.

One it is just piling up money because I do think when he comes back we up our offer to the top or match the top salary of ant college coach.

But then there is the legacy. Stay at UConn 5 more years and more than likely cement your status as a HOF or go to LA hope you are successful but still risk your legacy. It will come down to ego and legacy. He and his family already never have to worry about money again already. Once you get to that point many start chasing power/ego.

Reaction Score
They need to look a little deeper like down the coaching staff bench.
no no.. they can keep their eyes away from that part of the bench. We need that part right now very badly less we see half our team in the portal

Reactions: awy
Reaction Score
People are so dumb.

This is the $14M a year and the Los Angeles lakers. It is Lebron and AD next year plus a Kent star.

Giannis is headed there in the future.

i said him going to Kentucky made no sense. But this is the lakers.

Showtime ,Shaq, Kobe, wilt, Kareem, and now LeBron.

Holy crap.

Yeah it’s LeBron and AD, exactly. So why take that job? What have they accomplished together and yeah let me go coach a couple guys who take days off when they feel like it with a pinky sprain. And let’s add Bronny who dad will expect you to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Stay home Dan. This isn’t you at all.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom