Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 56 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

Reaction Score
I think it’s more likely he gets on that plane being completely comfortable that he would take it. He’s not an idiot.

Follow the conversation.

BigErn suggested the iron might never be hotter.

You're addition does nothing for that conversation. In fact, it suggests that Hurley would be reckless.

Reaction Score
I think he will pass, because the Lakers money is all tied in in Lebron and Davis. Those players are old, set in their ways, and likely to get hurt next year leaving the Lakers with a bunch of minimum salary players. Hurley would be better suited to coaching a younger team of rising stars. If he goes to the Lakers and James of Davis gets hurt, the team will do poorly and his opportunity of being a great NBA coach will be lost. It doesn’t really make sense for the Lakers to pursue a coach like Hurley given their personnel. They should be trying to find a seasoned guy like Steve Kerr who can perhaps get one last win out their old stars. 3 years from now Hurley would be a great fit for Lakers once they are in rebuild mode post Lebron.

Reaction Score
The Lakers job is without a doubt far more demanding. At UConn DH is the king of college ball, he doesn't have to work nearly as hard to recruit as he once did because the program sells itself at this point. He has a tried and tested winning formula for college ball and is able to bring in the exact type of players he needs. If he goes to the Lakers he will go from being king to just another coach in the NBA until he proves otherwise. He would also be taking the job with arguably the highest demands and expectations in the league.

I could not disagree more with this. All the things you’re talking about Hurley having at UConn are the result of nonstop dedication to every aspect of what makes a program successful and range of those demands are only increasing. It’s like keeping a bunch of spinning plates moving and there are more plates every year.

If the job was just about recruiting and coaching guys that you’d know you were going to coach for a couple years I’d be much more comfortable that he’d be staying.

Reaction Score
I could not disagree more with this. All the things you’re talking about Hurley having at UConn are the result of nonstop dedication to every aspect of what makes a program successful and range of those demands are only increasing. It’s like keeping a bunch of spinning plates moving and there are more plates every year.

If the job was just about recruiting and coaching guys that you’d know you were going to coach for a couple years I’d be much more comfortable that he’d be staying.
Agreed, but if this is the case, he'd be leaving at the wrong time. He needs to learn to let go before he accepts that job.

Reaction Score
I agree. But why is Seth talking about a private conversation with one of his friends on a very delicate situation?

My guess? Seth nor Geno have no idea. Hurley's not revealing tells to an on-campus coach who has 24/7 access to the media, much less to CBB analyst.

If he sincerely told Geno this or that, and Geno went to the media, how would that look? Geno's flexing for a post-career analyst job.

Reaction Score
The NBA is about to confirm something like $8B/year from the networks and streamers. The $ is about to get stupid stupid. $15-20M/yr may not be a big risk

The BRI split is like half, so owners are going to have literally hundreds of millions each per year in available revenue to spend on whatever they need to outside of player salaries, without even getting into other streams of revenues like tickets, merch, concessions, etc. $25 mil a year for a coach in the NBA will be a thing sooner than later. Meanwhile UConn's total athletic revenue is like $60 million and may soon have to pay players a big chunk of it.

You can bet that Hurley's agent is driving this point home to him.

Reaction Score
I will be devastated if we lose Hurley. But this might be a good time for him to get out--while he's ahead. I've seen the UConn fan base turn pretty nasty when disappointed. All the talk of a third consecutive natty and the apparent strength of the 24-25 Husky team sets us up for a major crash if things don't go our way.
I don't see that happening. He's built up a lot of goodwill with the 2 national championships. Did UConn fans want to run Calhoun out of town after the 2nd national championship in the seasons he didn't get to the NCAA Tournament? I don't remember that happening.

Reaction Score
He's on track to surpassing his dad. HOF at the college level with funds that will ensure to the benefit of his grandkids. Or, he could make it to the NBA like his big brother did while getting a bag that will take care of his grand kid's kid's kids. I Hope he stays but wish him Gospeed if he doesn't. Kevin Ollie could coach this current crop to a final four. Luke and Tom would likely do better. We'll see.

Reaction Score
the lakers charm offense looks pretty good at a high level but it's got a lot of issues underneath once you get to looking. the severe downside scenario could be, after signing DH they have delusion of quick success, get chris paul to join, then trade a bunch of picks for...giannis. now they have a team that is very fragile to age and injury. someone goes down and hurley is stuck with a post apocalyptic situation for a couple of years.

basic reality is that despite their expressed desire for program building, the front office will be making win now moves that necessarily sacrifice future assets.
They don’t have anything to trade for Giannis lol. Like not even 25% of what they’d need.

Reaction Score
Being very famous and moving to Hollywood with a boatload of money is generally not good for family life. He will be putting his family life at great risk, almost literally walking into the fire.
His boys are grown now. They don’t need to move if they don’t want to. He’s passionate about coaching, and LA is a top destination. If he wants or needs that, it’s up to him. He’ll absolutely consider Andrea’s feelings, and it may be family that keeps him here. But the decision is for them to make.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
He's on track to surpassing his dad. HOF at the college level with funds that will ensure to the benefit of his grandkids. Or, he could make it to the NBA like his big brother did while getting a bag that will take care of his grand kid's kid's kids. I Hope he stays but wish him Gospeed if he doesn't. Kevin Ollie could coach this current crop to a final four. Luke and Tom would likely do better. We'll see.

If he leaves now HOF is a coin toss unless he wins as an NBA coach.

Reaction Score
Being very famous and moving to Hollywood with a boatload of money is generally not good for family life. He will be putting his family life at great risk, almost literally walking into the fire.
Of all of the melodramatic takes on the boneyard. Being a rich and famous head coach of a historic NBA franchise would put his family like at risk? Walking into fires? Touch grass man, the Mets aren’t even that bad!

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score

We should take a long and hard look at Red Panda if Hurley moves on.

Reaction Score
Hurley has been a blessing for UConn and vice versa. If he stays, there is no guarantee he will ever win another Chip or be inducted into the HOF. If he does, he will have reached legendary status. No matter the uncertainty, he should investigate every offer that can provide generational wealth. He would be a fool not to do so. Whether this is the right time or the right job for him is the primary question. He's no one's fool.

Reaction Score
"..It was the Best of Times..It was the Worst of Times..."

That about sums us the past week for UConn fans. The high of getting AK back, and now the most likely scenario of DH leaving, probably with some coaches and players with him.

Reaction Score
I lost all respect for players like Jon Rahm and Brooks Koepka who "took the LIV money" at the cost of ruining their golf legacy. They'll regret it some day - they probably already have.

Reaction Score
No one wants to see Dan leave UConn, but even though I think he’ll pass on the Lakers, (neither he nor Andrea are LA glitzy)—it’s just a matter of time before it happens. Knowing what the Lakers were prepared to offer will help when the next suitor comes calling. Since it’s clear that Hurley’s not averse to exploring NBA options, if I’m James Dolan, I’m moving Tibs upstairs and making a full court press on Hurley to coach the Knick’s. That’s the perfect fit for him, Andrea and the family, especially his Dad. Dan then becomes the king of NYC and MSG and keeps his strong Jersey persona. Plus he’d be coaching some Big East Villanova players and building a team in his own image without having to answer to the whims of Lebron. He can create a dynasty in a world he’s much more comfortable in.
The bag will still be waiting if he says no this time to LA. In the meantime he stays one more year for the three peat, keeping his commitments to the players and assistant coaches.
Even though the LA attention is flattering (and his Agent is salivating) I think he’ll pray on it and make the right decision. That sounds a lot more like the Dan Hurley we‘ve all come to know and respect.

Reaction Score
Two last things,

I've seen people mention Hurley should talk to Billy Donovan and I think that makes a lot of sense as far as college to nba transition. As far as lifestyle, granted it's still college, does he know mick so he can see what LA life is like? From someone first hand.

People say he doesn't owe anything to anyone accept family. I'd be inclined to add in his roster of players and assistant coaches.

Reaction Score
I think he’s gone. Too much money, and he flew to them. We will not recover if this happens. Ever. The new landscape will make it hard for any coach at a non P4/3/2 and we’ll lose the current roster and be starting from scratch again.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom