Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 54 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

Reaction Score
At best you can say it was mutually beneficial, but UConn was still UConn, still would have moved back to the Big East, and would have hired a quality coach. As great as he has been, I still think he needed us more than we needed him. Would the NBA have him anywhere on their radar if he stayed at URI or went to Seton Hall or something? I doubt it. And if he goes, it could leave us in a worse place than when we hired him. So yeah, I don't buy into this "he doesn't owe us anything". He owes us some of that loyalty he loves to preach about.

You should've stopped when you were ahead. (o;

UConn had fallen on hard times. It talked itself out of the Big East and into the dog-forsaken American Athletic Conference, and Kevin Ollie was doing whatever he could to rupture the lifeboat.

Reaction Score
I hope whatever decision he makes (it's a win-win for him) he makes quickly and doesn't drag it out. I don't think he will-he has too much respect for the University and program he built.

Reaction Score
The other impression I get is that Hurley is really enjoying being "wined and dined" and he deserves it. That isn't to say he wouldn't seriously consider the offer, but there's something to be said for him relishing this experience in itself and sees being courted in this way as a reward in itself.

Reaction Score
I just don't see him leaving. It's clear money is not what motivates him (though as he has said he is making great money now), and Andrea has made it abundantly clear she wants to stay in the Northeast, plus coaching NBA players vs college (where he really shines in recruiting and player development and team building) are worlds apart. Like the Kentucky job, the offer from the Lakers is flattering, but I think that's all it is.
He didn’t really leverage the Kentucky offer he just turned it down. I’m sure his agent would have preferred he used that leverage to get a new contract.

Reaction Score
A good NBA coach is working year round too. You always see the coaches at the summer league games and they are also involved at the scouting combine, they also have to be involved in recruiting free agents.
Agree but you can probably take a 10-day vacation if you are an nba coach. I’d say the off-season is a job in nba, in college it’s is like owning your own business.

Again it’s splitting hairs and all evidence we have is that Dan Hurley works hard regardless. The workaholic needs to pick based on less with?!

Reaction Score
The other impression I get is that Hurley is really enjoying being "wined and dined" and he deserves it. That isn't to say he wouldn't seriously consider the offer, but there's something to be said for him relishing this experience in itself and sees being courted in this way as a reward in itself.
I'm sure there's a lot of validation in it but he strikes me as a person that would rather be getting his team ready if he wasn't seriously considering it.

Reaction Score

It also gives him even more cred (in the eyes of recruits) than he already has.

Reaction Score
Us
I lived in Brentwood for 3 years and had to sleep on the street one night when i locked myself out of my place at 3am.
It was one of the more restful sleeps of my life. The raccoons shared a banana with me.
Used to live at Westgate & Kiowa. The raccoons were harmless compared to the cougars shopping at the Ralph’s off of Bundy.

Reaction Score
I’ve been lurking since this thread ruined my day early this morning. After a day of work, meetings, and reflection, here’s how I see it:

1. Lakers current job isn’t set up for success in the short term. And LA wouldn’t be patient with a rebuild. Dan is very bball savvy and knows that.

2. Dan is self aware. His passion and methods are respected but not great fits for NBA sidelines and players. But he’s not just competitive but also emotionally intelligent and could adjust his methods.

3. Even though Dan may find success with the Lakers, it’s far from a sure thing and expectations will be high. It’s a different world in LA specifically and the NBA in general and Dan is up for a challenge but this isn’t the ideal fit for 2024. He should know that.

4. Money may trump the cons above, but not if he’s not there in 3-4 years when he can be at UConn as long as he likes. The money really only makes sense if he’s successful there.

5. Quality of life may trump the cons above, if he sees the NBA as being a less year round gig, but not if that quality of life lasts only 3-4 years and he’s left looking at other options after he’s unable to get the Lakers back to the top.

I think he’s flattered and needs to listen. I think it may help him maximize his UConn deal. And there’s obviously a real chance he leaves based on money, prestige, challenge, lifestyle, or otherwise, but if he’s paid enough by UConn to stay (top in sport?), I think he stays until the perfect NBA job arrives where he’s primed for success (and maybe in a more local market like NY or BOS).

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Just heard Geno's comments on Dan Patrick Show.

Yeah, last night he randomly tells DH that he could win a lot of championships with the Lakers, just out of the blue. Then, the next day, this?

Bizarre.

Reaction Score
Just heard Geno's comments on Dan Patrick Show.

Yeah, last night he randomly says DH could win a lot of championships with the Lakers, just out of the blue. Then, the next day, this?

Bizarre.
Yes I was there and it seems prophetic. Thought Mora was distant and whining about his situation. Dan seemed like something else was going on when we asked him about when he was going to the Whire House.

The night of celebration turned quickly this morning. Hopefully it’s just exploration and leverage for new contract. Seems a move opposite of his tone the past few weeks. But he has to hear them out. If he goes have another reason to dislike the Lakers. Go Celtics!

Reaction Score
I’ve been lurking since this thread ruined my day early this morning. After a day of work, meetings, and reflection, here’s how I see it:

1. Lakers current job isn’t set up for success in the short term. And LA wouldn’t be patient with a rebuild. Dan is very bball savvy and knows that.

2. Dan is self aware. His passion and methods are respected but not great fits for NBA sidelines and players. But he’s not just competitive but also emotionally intelligent and could adjust his methods.

3. Even though Dan may find success with the Lakers, it’s far from a sure thing and expectations will be high. It’s a different world in LA specifically and the NBA in general and Dan is up for a challenge but this isn’t the ideal fit for 2024. He should know that.

4. Money may trump the cons above, but not if he’s not there in 3-4 years when he can be at UConn as long as he likes. The money really only makes sense if he’s successful there.

5. Quality of life may trump the cons above, if he sees the NBA as being a less year round gig, but not if that quality of life lasts only 3-4 years and he’s left looking at other options after he’s unable to get the Lakers back to the top.

I think he’s flattered and needs to listen. I think it may help him maximize his UConn deal. And there’s obviously a real chance he leaves based on money, prestige, challenge, lifestyle, or otherwise, but if he’s paid enough by UConn to stay (top in sport?), I think he stays until the perfect NBA job arrives where he’s primed for success (and maybe in a more local market like NY or BOS).

Morgan Freeman Applause GIF by The Academy Awards

Great post. I'd add to your overall point, Dan Hurley is circumspect. I think it's a trait (gaming out all scenarios) that helps his ability to draft game plans and well, coach back to back champions. Hopefully that trait leads him to his next job a few years down the line, be it BOS, NYK, BKN or what have you.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
At best you can say it was mutually beneficial, but UConn was still UConn, still would have moved back to the Big East, and would have hired a quality coach. As great as he has been, I still think he needed us more than we needed him. Would the NBA have him anywhere on their radar if he stayed at URI or went to Seton Hall or something? I doubt it. And if he goes, it could leave us in a worse place than when we hired him. So yeah, I don't buy into this "he doesn't owe us anything". He owes us some of that loyalty he loves to preach about.
Say what now?

Reaction Score
Danny can walk on water at uconn for the next 10 years at uconn regardless of his record

Reaction Score
It also gives him even more cred (in the eyes of recruits) than he already has.
Yes, I think he recognizes that being courted by the Lakers and turning them down would elevate his personal brand and that of UConn to legendary status. There is no downside to him doing what he's doing, even if he's currently leaning towards staying.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I disagree. Do you want to start a new career at 55? I dont. Im inching up on 50 and i have the classic fantasies of being retired at 55. I know coaches often coach until they die, but i really dont think thats DH.
For guys like you and me sure. Dan can make more money with LA than I can dream of making in my lifetime so, in my mid sixties, I would absolutely take the cash.

Reaction Score
It’s not just Karaban that came back to be developed one more year by Hurley and staff but what about Stewart, Ball, Ross and others who in Hurley’s own words had to re-recruited so they don’t go elsewhere after the season.

It’s going to be a major punch in the gut to them if he leaves but big-time athletics is a dirty game and everyone must be prepared now that’s it’s the wild west. Harbaugh wins Natty and goes back to the NFL and now possibly Hurley to the NBA.

I’m going fishing after work tonight and will not have service to hit the refresh button every 5 minutes. Go Mavs!
That actually was my point .
The biggest plus of the portal this year was not so much who we got but the core that didn’t go.
plus the commits

Reaction Score
Yes, I think he recognizes that being courted by the Lakers and turning them down would elevate his personal brand and that if UConn to legendary status. There is no downside to him doing what he's doing, even if he's currently leaning towards staying.

He told Kentucky to pound sand because he's in the same market for recruits.

You listen when a franchise like the Minneapolis Los Angeles Lakers come calling.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom