Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 55 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

Reaction Score
I'm not really sure that he knows anything definitive here. Nobody knows what Hurley is thinking beyond him, his agent, and his wife at this point. It's all guess work until he says anything himself
Who said next

Reaction Score
Recruiting is a 2nd full time job . I assume recruiting is just a brutal part of a top level college coach’s job. Hanging out in gyms and watching disorganized AAU games and dealing w/ teenagers and their parents. If college were just coaching it would be great.
That's what assistants are for. They do the heavy lifting and the head coach comes in at the end to close the deal.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Does any site have betting odds on his decision?

Reaction Score
That's what assistants are for. They do the heavy lifting and the head coach comes in at the end to close the deal.

Perhaps Danny needs to learn how to step away from his ongoing masterpiece. Maybe this is what gets him thinking about that.

Reaction Score
The thing I keep coming back to while I amateurishly psycho-analyze how DH’s decision making process could go and why my instinct to think he is going to stay, comes down to his character. His steadfastness about the family and blue collar culture he has built here and how just strange, imo, the timing of him leaving this program now would be. Also feel like Dan has that humanity in him and in his relationships with the athletes who have been here during his ascension, to the new athletes who have come here believing in his vision, his plan for them, and ultimately his legacy here. I have to think that would play at least a significant part in his thought process if I’ve pegged him for the type of guy he purports himself as and ultimately why I lean towards him coming back for those players… I hope.

Additionally, I’ve never been offered $20 mill/yr to work anywhere therefore what the hell do I know lol all in all this is me just rambling and trying to convince myself the castle will not come crumbling down in the next few days. Cheers to the insanity the next 72 hours will bring!

Reaction Score
It’s not just Karaban that came back to be developed one more year by Hurley and staff but what about Stewart, Ball, Ross and others who in Hurley’s own words had to re-recruited so they don’t go elsewhere after the season.

It’s going to be a major punch in the gut to them if he leaves but big-time athletics is a dirty game and everyone must be prepared now that’s it’s the wild west. Harbaugh wins Natty and goes back to the NFL and now possibly Hurley to the NBA.

I’m going fishing after work tonight and will not have service to hit the refresh button every 5 minutes. Go Mavs!
It happens quite often where players who decided to come and others who decided to stay hoping to develop their game and a chance to win under the coaching of a head coach (and his staff) who ends up leaving for greener pastures.

Hopefully it doesn't play out this way, but if it does, there's a lot of very talented players that made these types of decisions that will end up as collateral damage.

I'm hoping Hurley stays for at least a handful of more years before he jumps to the NBA. But if he doesn't, I'm hoping and praying the UConn brand and whatever coaches remain can retain the roster and still make a run at a 3-Peat and maintain the momentum.

Reaction Score
At best you can say it was mutually beneficial, but UConn was still UConn, still would have moved back to the Big East, and would have hired a quality coach. As great as he has been, I still think he needed us more than we needed him. Would the NBA have him anywhere on their radar if he stayed at URI or went to Seton Hall or something? I doubt it. And if he goes, it could leave us in a worse place than when we hired him. So yeah, I don't buy into this "he doesn't owe us anything". He owes us some of that loyalty he loves to preach about.
He owes his family to provide as best as he can for them. He doesn’t answer to you.

Reaction Score
He owes his family to provide as best as he can for them. He doesn’t answer to you.

He'll get whatever that deal is being offered by LA by a team on the East Coast once he floats a flyer that he's listening towards the end of this contract.

This is not a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for Hurley. It's a first time opportunity. Like I said - he's circumspect. He knows how this stuff works.

Reaction Score
Lmao!
If he leaves it’s a money grab and that would tarnish a great College legacy

Arguably a 3rd straight ncaa title could be had and that to me would be worth more than any Laker cash

UConn should step up but maybe they blew the cash extending Geno for a ridiculous 5 years?

Reaction Score
He’s flying to LA. He’s as good as gone. He’s not coming back from that meeting as anything other than a very rich man with a new job. And I don’t blame him one bit as much as it sucks for us as fans.

Reaction Score
He'll get whatever that deal is being offered by LA by a team on the East Coast once he floats a flyer that he's listening towards the end of this contract.

This is not a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for Hurley. It's a first time opportunity. Like I said - he's circumspect. He knows how this stuff works.
Disagree 1000%

Reaction Score

This is not a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for Hurley. It's a first time opportunity.

I don’t know what Hurley is going to do, and I suspect he doesn’t either, but short of a 3-peat it’s not unfair to say the proverbial iron will never be hotter for Hurley than it is right now.

Reaction Score
Not sure if someone brought this up, but there's irony here where dad and HOFer Bob Hurley senior earned all his accolades as a NJ high school coach, likely turning down opportunities to coach at the college level, while his son seems to be seriously considering jumping to the NBA, letting down so many who tossed in all their chips, expecting Danny Hurley to be their head coach at UConn.

I wonder, even if he turns down the Lakers, will players (current & potential future ones) think twice about staying/coming to UConn, concerned he might jump ship next year or in the near future. I wish Danny snuffed this out quickly and was not heading to LA to meet with Laker's organization.

I'm sure most, if not all of us want this momentum, culture, style of play and success to continue for years to come, and didn't expect anything like this from happening at this time, especially after so emphatically snuffing out UK's interest in Hurley.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It definitely seems like the demands of the UConn job are wearing on him, or at least he’s playing it up a little.
The Lakers job is without a doubt far more demanding. At UConn DH is the king of college ball, he doesn't have to work nearly as hard to recruit as he once did because the program sells itself at this point. He has a tried and tested winning formula for college ball and is able to bring in the exact type of players he needs. If he goes to the Lakers he will go from being king to just another coach in the NBA until he proves otherwise. He would also be taking the job with arguably the highest demands and expectations in the league.

cwh20

Six is good!
Reaction Score
Maybe stating the obvious, but it sounds like he wants to hear what the actual offer is from the Lakers to use that as leverage on his new UConn contract they are working on.
Of course Hurley is listening to the Lakers offer and he should yet but I’d like to believe he using it primarily as a dry run to get experience for the next NBA offer. Once again from a northeast team. He’d be able to compare the Lakers operation with any other offer that came along in a future year. It’d be just like a college player declaring for the draft so they can get valuable information and feedback from the pro scouts and teams before withdrawing and playing another year of college ball. Of course the danger is not getting swept off your feet by accepting the NBA offer or staying in the draft if that is not what is in your best interest.

Reaction Score
Not sure if someone brought this up, but there's irony here where dad and HOFer Bob Hurley senior earned all his accolades as a NJ high school coach, likely turning down opportunities to coach at the college level, while his son seems to be seriously considering jumping to the NBA, letting down so many who tossed in all their chips, expecting Danny Hurley to be their head coach at UConn.

I wonder, even if he turns down the Lakers, will players (current & potential future ones) think twice about staying/coming to UConn, concerned he might jump ship next year or in the near future. I wish Danny snuffed this out quickly and was not heading to LA to meet with Laker's organization organization.

I'm sure most, if not all of us want this momentum, culture, style of play and success to continue for years to come, and didn't expect anything like this from happening at this time, especially after so emphatically snuffing out UK's interest in Hurley.
He doesn’t owe anybody anything except his family. High level sports is a business, pure and simple. His stock couldn’t be higher right now…..when that is the case, you sell. Period

To think he’s somehow different than every other person that has gone through this is not fair to him and his family. Has no one on this board ever taken a job for better money???

Reaction Score
I don’t know what Hurley is going to do, and I suspect he doesn’t either, but short of a 3-peat it’s not unfair to say the proverbial iron will never be hotter for Hurley than it is right now.

My guess is Hurley doesn't get on that plane without being comfortable in walking away from LA's offer. He's not an idiot.

awy

Reaction Score
the lakers charm offense looks pretty good at a high level but it's got a lot of issues underneath once you get to looking. the severe downside scenario could be, after signing DH they have delusion of quick success, get chris paul to join, then trade a bunch of picks for...giannis. now they have a team that is very fragile to age and injury. someone goes down and hurley is stuck with a post apocalyptic situation for a couple of years.

basic reality is that despite their expressed desire for program building, the front office will be making win now moves that necessarily sacrifice future assets.

Reaction Score
My guess is Hurley doesn't get on that plane without being comfortable in walking away from LA's offer. He's not an idiot.
I think it’s more likely he gets on that plane being completely comfortable that he would take it. He’s not an idiot.

Reaction Score
He doesn’t owe anybody anything except his family. High level sports is a business, pure and simple. His stock couldn’t be higher right now…..when that is the case, you sell. Period

To think he’s somehow different than every other person that has gone through this is not fair to him and his family. Has no one on this board ever taken a job for better money???

I agree he doesn't owe us anything, but that works both ways. We don't owe him anything either. Divorce is never an easy thing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom