Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 53 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
This may be a hold my seat situation w Luke Murray as HC and Kimani as the highest paid assistant ever? If Andrea can’t take it out there and we struggle maybe he’s back.

if I’m Danny I’m most interested in roster control. He needs his guys.

Reaction Score
Dan is smart, he always said NBA in 5+ years so people would not get any ideas and keep bothering him about it. Gotcha.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
If he takes the job and Kimani becomes HC and Luke stays and is given a big pay raise, it could be worse. The mark of a great builder is making sure there is no void if you leave. I had a a moment with Kimani before the Stetson game and he is impressive. I think he has it in him to take over if it comes to that. I think in that scenario the blow to the team is lessened and who knows if everyone stays we could still challenge for a BE title and final four. Then we take it from there.

Reaction Score
I'd like to know this too. The NBA season is still technically going.... a full two months after the college season ended.
Who knows if it is even a factor for Hurley what’s harder or more work. I don’t think ‘which is less work?’ Is even in his key criteria. The hard is what makes it great in either case.

But fwiw My take is
  • NBA more intense and longer season October - May
  • NBA WAY more nights away from home
  • College more year round, less pure downtime

Reaction Score
Im sure he’s going to be sitting up at night worrying about how you feel about him and the women’s game. The man was simply being honest which is what I like about him. Whether or not you liked what his opinion is is irrelevant. I respect honesty, as opposed to being told what you and all of us wanted to hear.

Time for old manbewb Geno to retire.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
If he takes the job and Kimani becomes HC and Luke stays and is given a big pay raise, it could be worse. The mark of a great builder is making sure there is no void if you leave. I had a a moment with Kimani before the Stetson game and he is impressive. I think he has it in him to take over if it comes to that. I think in that scenario the blow to the team is lessened and who knows if everyone stays we could still challenge for a BE title and final four. Then we take it from there.
Luke has a better resume and is the architect of the best UConn offense ever. if he’s not offered the job he’s going with Danny. He’s about to be 40 needs a step up now.

Reaction Score
I will be devastated if we lose Hurley. But this might be a good time for him to get out--while he's ahead. I've seen the UConn fan base turn pretty nasty when disappointed. All the talk of a third consecutive natty and the apparent strength of the 24-25 Husky team sets us up for a major crash if things don't go our way.

Reaction Score
Who knows if it is even a factor for Hurley what’s harder or more work. I don’t think ‘which is less work?’ Is even in his key criteria. The hard is what makes it great in either case.

But fwiw My take is

A good NBA coach is working year round too. You always see the coaches at the summer league games and they are also involved at the scouting combine, they also have to be involved in recruiting free agents.

Reaction Score

But fwiw My take is
Much more scrutiny and pressure too. He’d be inheriting a middling roster in salary cap hell with minimal assets

Compared to what he’s built here at UConn and this loaded roster looking for a mythical 3peat…it really doesn’t feel like the right time or the right team to move to.

Of course he could be swayed but the glam and the sheer size of the offer….we’ll see. But this wouldn’t be his last nba opportunity

Reaction Score
I will be devastated if we lose Hurley. But this might be a good time for him to get out--while he's ahead. I've seen the UConn fan base turn pretty nasty when disappointed. All the talk of a third consecutive natty and the apparent strength of the 24-25 Husky team sets us up for a major crash if things don't go our way.
Should have stopped before “but”.

Reaction Score
They will be headed west if Hurley goes
IF HURLEY LEAVES!!! You’re delusional if you think that if either Murray or KY were offered the head coaching position that they wouldn’t take it. UCONN is arguably thee top college job in basketball. The UCONN head coaching job is a far better Job than an assistant even for the Lakers. It is very possible that if one was offered the other could potentially go ( AGAIN ONLY IF Hurley LEAVES).

Reaction Score
Kimani was awesome coaching in the game we beat Nova when Hurley got ejected. That was the best Hurley win to that point. Hurley got credit for the win, but it was Kimani. I want Hurley to win #3 to become John Wooden 2.0 and then he can move on. That's the stuff of legend. NBA coaches are overrated and manage egos, not like the old days.

Reaction Score
2 NCs not enough payment?

At best you can say it was mutually beneficial, but UConn was still UConn, still would have moved back to the Big East, and would have hired a quality coach. As great as he has been, I still think he needed us more than we needed him. Would the NBA have him anywhere on their radar if he stayed at URI or went to Seton Hall or something? I doubt it. And if he goes, it could leave us in a worse place than when we hired him. So yeah, I don't buy into this "he doesn't owe us anything". He owes us some of that loyalty he loves to preach about.

Last edited:

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
what the actual funk are you talking about? you can't really be this clueless.

Reaction Score

If he leaves, he won't have a UConn fan base at all anymore.

Reaction Score
If you calculate the salary by game, with a new contract UConn could be better per game salary..... I once took a new job for a sizable raise but added two hours to my day commuting. I actually earned less per hour at my new job and got a worse work-life balance by chasing the money.
Recruiting is a 2nd full time job . I assume recruiting is just a brutal part of a top level college coach’s job. Hanging out in gyms and watching disorganized AAU games and dealing w/ teenagers and their parents. If college were just coaching it would be great.

Reaction Score
what the actual funk are you talking about? you can't really be this clueless.
He’s the kind of guy who walks off the golf course after 14 holes because he’s under par and doesn’t want to have possibly 4 bad remaining holes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom