Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 52 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

Reaction Score
Double the games but I feel like it's more 9-5.
It's even less than that I'd guess. They don't practice on every off night (especially on travel days.) There's no recruiting or donors to schmooze. Sure you play a lot of games but it's still only half the year whereas college is full time job since you're doing the AAU thing all summer long.

Reaction Score
Auriemma said Hurley “just looked at me and nodded.”

“It’d be a bad day for UConn if this happens and it’d be a great, great day for Dan Hurley,” he said, adding Hurley is “crazy if he doesn’t take it.”
Well, good thing we already know Hurley is crazy ;)

Reaction Score
It's even less than that I'd guess. They don't practice on every off night (especially on travel days.) There's no recruiting or donors to schmooze. Sure you play a lot of games but it's still only half the year whereas college is full time job since you're doing the AAU thing all summer long.
Not sure where you're getting "half the year." If he's taking the Lakers where they'd be paying him to go, it's like October through June.

awy

Reaction Score
Can someone explain why the NBA job is easier than UConn? On the surface the Lakers job seems much tougher. I get recruiting can be difficult but has recruiting ever been easier for UConn and DH than it is right now?
there's a lot less delegation in college, dealing with parents but now with transfer portal dealing with it all year round. in the NBA it's more professionalized and the transactional stuff is taken by the front office. this can be sort of improved upon by creating a GM role but the culture is still personal relationship building with the head coach.

Reaction Score
If you calculate the salary by game, with a new contract UConn could be better per game salary..... I once took a new job for a sizable raise but added two hours to my day commuting. I actually earned less per hour at my new job and got a worse work-life balance by chasing the money.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Rolling with a Honey Jack and lemonade. Or two.

Deep down, I feel Danny stays. The whole culture building mantra we have been eating up. It's too real. UConn knows he is needed badly.

I agree, Dove. Just sent this on a group text

hurley 1.jpg

Reaction Score
This is like way off base

Reaction Score
Not sure where you're getting "half the year." If he's taking the Lakers where they'd be paying him to go, it's like October through June.
True, Lakers were done in april, so that was my thinking. But still it's way easier schedule being a HC in the NBA.

Reaction Score
It's such a roller-coaster. Went from a Back-to-back, to loading up from the Portal and Recruiting, getting Alex back with lots of talk about a 3-Peat. Now this feels like a sucker-punch to the gut, taking all the positive wind out of Husky Nation.

I know it's hard to walk away from a huge payday, most or all of us are not in his shoes, but Hurley has the chance to create a long amazing legacy here at UConn, just like Pitino had at Kentucky until he threw it all away by chasing big NBA money and dreams. Well that turned out to be an ongoing nightmare for him that continues to this day, which he's stated big regrets.

I just think the timing just isn't right considering the following:

UConn's Assistants all coming back instead of riding the success for more lucrative opportunities.

Multiple new players possibly taking less NIL to come here to win and be coached up by Hurley and his staff.

Karaban retuning for the same reason.

Lakers are not an up and coming young team that "might" buy into a new culture that Hurley would try to build, and is a franchise controlled by the coach killer LeBron James.

Hurley is a Northeast Jersey guy, and it's frickin' LA! I've been there and have no desire to ever go back. Frankly don't know what people like about that hot oven, overcrowded, tinsel fake mega city.

He's going to continue to make millions of dollars staying at UConn. Granted there's much much more the Lakers will offer him, but how long will he last there before he's chased out of town? It happens to 90+% of NBA coaches. We've all witnessed coaches who lead their team to an NBA championship then just a handful of years later are shown the door.

I'm sure some of you disagree with me, and feel Hurley should do what he feels is right for him (and his family...not so sure about that last part) and pursue his dream and the money, but the more I think about this, the more this just doesn't seem like the right time or opportunity.

I was hopeful that he'd turn them down, but hearing that he's going out there has me worried. I hope he stays at UConn. It's not a done deal and who knows what he's feeling, thinking and what advice he's getting. He seems like a guy who thinks through things and takes advise to heart. Let's see how this plays out.

Reaction Score
On the bright side, bright minds like Colin Cowherd and Nick Wright are extremely pessimistic that this will happen, and highly suspicious of the leak and its timing--a conspiracy theory which could bring us a delightful denoument.

Reaction Score
Am I the only one who thinks it’s already a massive failure that our contract offer to Hurley only puts him in the top 5 highest paid coaches? The dude is being courted by the freaking Lakers. He just won back to back championships. He’s the best coach in the country by far at this point. Benedict failed us if he cannot scrape together an extra couple million to make Hurley the highest paid college coach.

Also, my big fear is that Hurley takes Luke with him to LA as the AHC and we promote Kimani. Not that I think Kimani isn’t capable, but because Luke is the reason why our offense is what it is. Losing him along with Hurley would be the kill shot to the head. It’s an awkward situation because you also cannot promote Luke to be the HC and just pass over Kimani, which means we would definitely lose Luke to the Lakers.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
I can’t imagine Andrea being happy in LA, or Hurley being happy coaching those Prima Donnas. But, if the bag is big enough - and let’s not fool ourselves, this is the lakers - this could be bad.
I just don't see him leaving. It's clear money is not what motivates him (though as he has said he is making great money now), and Andrea has made it abundantly clear she wants to stay in the Northeast, plus coaching NBA players vs college (where he really shines in recruiting and player development and team building) are worlds apart. Like the Kentucky job, the offer from the Lakers is flattering, but I think that's all it is.

Reaction Score
Am I the only one who thinks it’s already a massive failure that our contract offer to Hurley only puts him in the top 5 highest paid coaches? The dude is being courted by the freaking Lakers. He just won back to back championships. He’s the best coach in the country by far at this point. Benedict failed us if he cannot scrape together an extra couple million to make Hurley the highest paid college coach.

Also, my big fear is that Hurley takes Luke with him to LA as the AHC and we promote Kimani. Not that I think Kimani isn’t capable, but because Luke is the reason why our offense is what it is. Losing him along with Hurley would be the kill shot to the head. It’s an awkward situation because you also cannot promote Luke to be the HC and just pass over Kimani, which means we would definitely lose Luke to the Lakers.
I don't think it matters if we offer $9 or $11. It's not about that

The failure is that we get less than $2m out of the Lakers

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
It definitely seems like the demands of the UConn job are wearing on him, or at least he’s playing it up a little.
And how will it be better when he’s losing in LA? the whole thing doesn’t make any sense to me.

Reaction Score
Can someone explain why the NBA job is easier than UConn? On the surface the Lakers job seems much more demanding. I get recruiting can be difficult but has recruiting ever been easier for UConn and DH than it is right now? Per Dan Hurley our roster has never been deeper than it is right now. Much of our recent success is because of the portal. Karaban is not coming back without NIL.

If UConn is burning him out then God help him in the NBA.
I'd like to know this too. The NBA season is still technically going.... a full two months after the college season ended.

Reaction Score
Is this a comment about the state of college hoops today. No one knows where it is going and whether the university will be able to compete with the big money schools and the realignment of leagues, etc.

awy

Reaction Score

the only line here is to do a kevin young arrangement with Luke. kimani as HC and luke does some offense scheming consulting. it's certainly disruptive but they have some leverage and space to maneuver.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom