Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 61 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

Reaction Score
Yeah it’s LeBron and AD, exactly. So why take that job? What have they accomplished together and yeah let me go coach a couple guys who take days off when they feel like it with a pinky sprain. And let’s add Bronny who dad will expect you to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Stay home Dan. This isn’t you at all.
what have Lebron and AD accomplished together?

A championshup
A IST championship
2 WCF appearances.

No other team in the NBA has had more success than the Lakers this decade. The Nuggets, Warriors and Bucks are all sitting on one championship this decade.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Read Hurley's wife flew out to LA yesterday to meet with the organization. I hate the NBA and the NCAA right now. Sighs

Reaction Score
RIght ? Wasn't he already one of the highest paid ? I thought when the Kentucky job was in the offing, that he was at least in the top 10, if not the top 5
Pretty sure the Kentucky offer would've made him the highest paid coach between Basketball and CFB

Reaction Score
On the bright side, bright minds like Colin Cowherd and Nick Wright are extremely pessimistic that this will happen, and highly suspicious of the leak and its timing--a conspiracy theory which could bring us a delightful denoument.
I tend to agree. The only angle I can see is the Lakers trying to stir things up to pry Hurley loose. I don't see it working

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Off the court, have you ever seen a more chill dude than Hurley? Should play out well in LA.
Yeah he doesn’t exactly throw off that Cali Surfer dude personality.

Reaction Score
I will be devastated if we lose Hurley. But this might be a good time for him to get out--while he's ahead. I've seen the UConn fan base turn pretty nasty when disappointed. All the talk of a third consecutive natty and the apparent strength of the 24-25 Husky team sets us up for a major crash if things don't go our way.
Stop. The fanbase turned "nasty" after someone ran the program into the ground .

Reaction Score
If UConn offers a lifetime contract starting at $7-8M + State Pension (+30%), it'll get you close to $10M/yr. The Lakers will likely offer $15M for 7 years. From a net cash standpoint it isn't a slam dunk. It'll come down to establishing a dynasty at UConn (a la Geno), QOL and the challenge of coaching in the NBA. That said, I still think it's 80% Hurley leaves, but with each passing day - starting Tuesday - the odds start to shift toward UConn. If Hurley does leave, keeping the existing coaching staff in place will be key (i.e., an external hire for the upcoming season would be a disaster)
I think Hurley may care about money from a recognition standpoint, but in terms of raw dollars, he and his family will have generational wealth either way. CA is also far more expensive than the UConn area of CT, and that CT state pension means something. It’s the reason why I never went private (I will have military and civilian pensions), and it really is the great equalizer in this case. That’s a pension that‘s paid to him for the rest of his life, 30% of his base salary, though not sure about how it’s calculated or the tax consequences of CT pensions (I’m Federal and in Northern VA).

With that said, money will be secondary. His primary concern will be the family situation and the path forward for the Lakers compared to the path forward to the school. I would be willing to bet he and his agent are discussing the possibility of delaying this jump in favor of waiting for a Knicks, Celtics, or Nets opening. If one of those came open, then it would definitely be game over.

Reaction Score
Media is just a total minefield today -- can't avoid this story and the accompanying stress.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
It isn't what DH owes UConn. It is what DH owes the players he just recently sold either coming to or staying at UConn as their best chance to develop and compete at a high level. To abandon them now -- when their options are limited -- would be worse than the Randy Edsall move.

That he even is considering making this move is a dick move.

Reaction Score
Yes, she's going. It's been reported. She's meeting with some different people. Cue the house hunting reports at some stage.
Never, ever will I allow someone to separate my wife from me on a trip, especially one involving sales presentations.

If I let her go alone I would be owning about 10 timeshares about now.

Last edited:

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Nothing lasts forever. Just be thankful you were able to witness the very best of UConn. You will always have those memories. The Lakers are ja great opportunity for Coach Hurley and his family. THe money he could potentially make will be life changing. He can’t pass that up.
He already has crazy money and will only make more here. Just stop.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Stop. The fanbase turned "nasty" after someone ran the program into the ground .
Someone didn't, somethings did - 1 yr probation as well as the move to the AAC
Hurley couldn't recruit in the AAC - I would bet my house on it
Cut the crap

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I’ve read every post but I didn’t like them all, that’s for @bjc42 but I needed to post SOMETHING here.

No one should turn on Hurley. No one should be surprised that he’s listening. No one wants him to leave, but if he does we’ll have the best 2 years in our history to remember.

The Lakers will make it clear they will give him time and freedom, but I feel like he’s happy with where he is and what he’s built and he’ll stay.

Reaction Score
On the bright side, bright minds like Colin Cowherd and Nick Wright are extremely pessimistic that this will happen, and highly suspicious of the leak and its timing--a conspiracy theory which could bring us a delightful denoument.

This counters what I wrote previously, but yeah - a few things don't add up for me. If this was the Lakers first option all along, as Woj wrote, why did they wait 5 weeks to reach out to Hurley? Hoping it is a case of them sensing a backlash to JJ Reddick and this is a ploy to show their fanbase that they tried to get a "home run" hire.

Reaction Score
x.com

Obviously we can't compete with the Lakers offering him $15m, but it's pretty disappointing that UConn can't even make him the highest paid coach in the sport and get to $10m. "Top 3 highest paid" is simply not good enough and shows we aren't doing everything possible to make him stay.

Reaction Score
x.com

Obviously we can't compete with the Lakers offering him $15m, but it's pretty disappointing that UConn can't even make him the highest paid coach in the sport and get to $10m. "Top 3 highest paid" is simply not good enough and shows we aren't doing everything possible to make him stay.
agree. He just won 2 national championships in a row. He should certainly be the highest paid college coach. If he doesn't take it, we move on.

Reaction Score
“Literally a blank check”

Hard to sound dumber then when someone says this. Give him the entire franchise then? Why not more?

He’s being offered a ton of money for sure. Pretending it’s “literally” any number he wants is braindead
In actuality, the check is blank. Hurley is to put in a 'number' that addresses everything (good and bad) in this thread, including personal/family and UConn players, legacy, etc. Furthermore it will include perks, incentives, bonuses, etc.. as well as his role, power and position with the Lakers.

I hope his number is astronomical, but he has a number/demands.

The Lakers will look at that check and make a decision on Hurley's UConn future at that moment.

This is the reason for the trip to Hollywood, lets hope the script ends in our favor.

Reaction Score
Lol. Nobody know anything. I highly doubt anyone in the Hurley camp is giving insider information to anyone. It's all speculation at this point. We will know for sure soon.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If DH leaves, he leaves - good luck to you but then UConn starts another chapter
My biggest concern, and to be honest, it should be DH's concern also, what about the kids who decided to stay and play for him for #3 in a row. I would feel more comfortable about it if UConn wasn't coming off back to back - but it is what it is.
Time for AD David Benedict to earn some of those big raises he somehow manages to realize. The DH choice was not his but one that HCJC manipulated and at the time, basically a no-brainer to many.
This time, if DH departs, the choice better be well thought out because the ramifications that could be realized with a wrong choice could devastate the program.

Reaction Score
I fall on this side of the "what does Hurley owe UConn?" side of things, too.
Also, he should owe it to us not to ditch us in the middle of June once the entire team has already moved in and the transfer portal is closed. This is the type of move that sets us back 3+ years. All of 2025 recruiting momentum, done. Roster will be decimated. Future coach will be coming in April and our new roster will be like Louisville’s with 12 transfers. Just a total disaster.

Reaction Score
I’ve read every post but I didn’t like them all, that’s for @bjc42 but I needed to post SOMETHING here.

No one should turn on Hurley. No one should be surprised that he’s listening. No one wants him to leave, but if he does we’ll have the best 2 years in our history to remember.

The Lakers will make it clear they will give him time and freedom, but I feel like he’s happy with where he is and what he’s built and he’ll stay.
Tell that to Alex, Liam, and Aiden.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom