Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

Reaction Score
Feel badly for McNeeley, Mahaney, Reed, and Karaban. Those dudes had options, trusted the staff and then…poof. College sports is a dirty business.

Best of luck, Dan, and thanks for the memories!
They have a 30-day personal transfer portal.

Reaction Score
Top NBA coaches earn $15 to $16 million which no college will match so I think the decision comes down to coaching in the NBA or college.

NBA coaches don't earn that much. Why are you just making things up? Just a few do... Pop, Spo, Monty. Everyone else is below 10 mill. I could see Hurley getting 13 mill easily which would still make him a top-10 paid coach in the league.

UConn can't match that. The decision will be about NBA coaching longevity, culture, and the high likelihold of flaming out in a few years like every other college coach that goes to the league. Or stay where you're comfortable for 10 years and 8ish million a year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Feel badly for McNeeley, Mahaney, Reed, and Karaban. Those dudes had options, trusted the staff and then…poof. College sports is a dirty business.

Best of luck, Dan, and thanks for the memories!
Don’t feel bad for them. This immediately will open a 30 day transfer window. They too will get poached for money. Feel bad for us.

Reaction Score
That would have literally zero effect on him leaving for the NBA. And both sides have openly talked about having discussions about a new contract
Guys. Lakers are gonna annihilate anything that UConn can do.

This is not an even fight. Lakers nearly got Coach K back in the day.

Reaction Score
Let's not forget no decent D1 team wanted Kimani or Luke as head coaches. Not a single one, due to lack of head coaching experience. So to say either is a good fallback option is really hard to say. Well, you got to start somewhere.

Reaction Score
I don’t like this at all.
I get the money may be crazy and impossible to compete with, LA, Hollywood, etc. But I am not sure how his fiery/borderline crazy persona will fit with NBA players. He is an East Coast type A plus guy. Of course the money could be too much to turn down. He probably has a number to stay and a number to leave.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Sometimes you have to go back to move forward
IMG_7674.jpeg

Reaction Score
And I wonder whether this could all be related. Might benefit Hurley in negotiations with Benedict to have the Lakers chasing him, no?
Of course it is. The delay was on Dan’s part. He was in no rush.

Reaction Score

It’s a choice Hurley has to make. Hopefully, he loves it here too much to go. That’s the only hope, just as it was when Coach K entertained it.

Reaction Score
Before one of you clowns say “Andrea wants to stay on the east coast” it’s LA and the Lakers. Be for real lmao.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
When you have one of the best coaches in the country this is what's going to happen year after year

I don't believe he's leaving. I believe he has his dream job and loyalty runs strong in him. He can't mold NBA players, and they're not going to run his motion offense

Just more hot air

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Just curious, anybody at the roadshow last night? What did Danny say there?

Reaction Score

Nearly, the A D better be calling the whales to see if they can raise another few million a year.

Reaction Score
That P5 stuff is utter BS. He just had the chance to go to the SEC and basically name his price.
P5 point is silly. What is true is that the new rules on player comp and movement make being a college coach more work and less fun than what Calhoun had to deal with. But that’s not a Hurley issue — it’s a college coach issue.

Reaction Score
I'm assuming this is smoke to get a huge contract from UConn. Delaying the heartbreak.
It's actually really interesting becasue the Lakers are obviously an amazing job in the sense that you are coaching the Los Angeles freaking Lakers, one of the greatest franchises of all time. But it's not actually a good job in terms of having a chance to win a title soon. The Lakers are real far away from the level of Denver/OKC/Minny/Dallas and don't have an obvious path to get to that level. You also have to be the coach of a roster that has a player who functions as a semi coach. But it's the Lakers, that's probably enough.

Reaction Score
Anyone would be happy with an 8 figure income in LA

But I still don’t see it happening. How much more could they offer compared to UK? Hurley has all the security he could want at UConn whereas in LA he would have a 3ish year leash.
Not unlike the LIV golf offers, at some point the $ gets to be too much to walk away from

Reaction Score
Wonder what made the UConn and Benedict not offer Hurley a great contract for last two months. What a fumble
This could be bad take. It’s possible they did make offer and Hurley said he wanted to see how Lakers play out.
Timing is awfully close and you don’t sign contract with UConn to leave for LA following weeks.

Reaction Score
Terrible news at a time when UConn fans should be focused on Super Regional in Tallahassee.

Hard to believe this after Alex announced that he took himself out of the draft.

Curious timing after all the talk about JJ being the front runner and Geno’s new contract.

Coach K doing his best to weaken UConn as a Laker advisor.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom